Currently available IFR simulation software

Old December 1st 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
flying_monkey

Default Currently available IFR simulation software

Hello group,

I got my Instrument Rating 35 years ago, and have never been legally
current since 6 months after that date. It was the hardest rating I
ever got, even harder than CFI for airplanes or gliders. Probably the
difficulty and disuse result from the same source: I'm just a crappy
instrument pilot. I can't ever remember being taught correctly how
one should scan the instruments. Now, my other thing in life besides
flying is software development. I've used MSFSX lately, and wondered
why there isn't a dedicated scan trainer in there, or in any other
simulator that I've been able to find out about. My idea for a scan
trainer would be a mode where the instruments fade out, all except
one, and then after about 1 second (or some other interval, if that's
better), a different instrument is displayed in the particular scan
sequence that is thought to be ideal. I think this would go a long
ways toward curing the fixation problem that I seem to have. Does
anyone in this group know of a simulator which does anything like
this?

Now, I own a Warrior which had a previous life as an instrument
trainer, so I've no excuse to not get myself legal again, and possibly
get my CFII at the same time. Any helpful suggestions will be
appreciated.

Of course, I'm looking into what's available in Sim software. I lean
toward IP Trainer Version 7, On Top version 9 or possibly Elite Core
8.0. Any comments on any of these?

Thx,
Ed
Old December 1st 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

I've used Elite for years and it's awesome. Twice I've passed instrument
proficiency checks after not having flown in any aircraft for 2 years or
more. All I did was fly Elite for a few hours and reviews the FAR/AIM.

Elite sells a Virtual Flight Instructor program which may be a branded
version fo IPT. It's under the "extras" section of the flyelite.com web
site. They also offer a $50 IFR training syllabus with profiles if you want
to add that to either version of Elite.

Having said all that I suspect that MSFS will be just as effective as Elite
for imprving your scan.

--

Scott

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and
deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken
http://tinyurl.com/6qkhjb

Old December 2nd 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike

[...]

I don't know of any sim software that does what you describe, but that
doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even if it did exist, I'm not entirely sure
what value it would offer.

Personally I feel that initial scan training should be something that's done
in the aircraft with a competent CFII. Since you seem to indicate that
you've never been taught to scan properly, you really need an instructor to
find out what works for you. I think simulators are excellent for
developing and maintaining instrument proficiency, but if you aren't doing
it right from the start you are wasting your time at best and reinforcing
bad habits at worst. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes
perfect.

Not all CFIIs are created equally. Some just teach you the minimum to
squeak by the check ride. Some teach you solid IFR techniques that last a
lifetime. It is particularly important for you to find the later if you
have aspirations of teaching. If you can, find a newly minted instrument
pilot that really has a handle on flying IFR and see who he used.

Old December 10th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bear Bottoms[_4_]

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 03:05:46 GMT, Mike wrote:

I don't know

*CORRECT NOW STFU*
--
Bear Bottoms
Private Attorney General
Old December 10th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike

"Bear Bottoms" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 03:05:46 GMT, Mike wrote:

I don't know

*CORRECT NOW STFU*

Aw look, isn't my groupie just the cutest thing?

It makes you wonder if his mommie knows he's not in school today.

Old December 11th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bear Bottoms[_4_]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:15:09 GMT, Mike wrote:

isn't my dickie just the cutest thing!?!

*INCORRECT NOW STFU*
--
Bear Bottoms
Private Attorney General
Old December 11th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike

"Bear Bottoms" wrote in message

isn't my dickie just the cutest thing!?!

*INCORRECT NOW STFU*

The voices inside your head don't like you, kookie. You are fun to watch
though.

Simulation Knut Enebakk Simulators 0 July 12th 07 01:04 AM
CNN uses "special software" for KLEX simulation: Microsoft Flight Simulator Mxsmanic Piloting 10 August 30th 06 09:40 AM
Tower Simulation Mikal Simulators 0 March 1st 04 02:17 AM
Safelog software/flight log software question Mark Piloting 2 December 8th 03 03:34 PM
Elite simulation software Marco Rispoli Simulators 5 October 2nd 03 07:46 PM