Volkslogger - Shut off the memory warning buzzer?

Old July 24th 03, 07:51 PM
Mark James Boyd

Set the sample rate to one very 10 to 12 seconds or so. Even 20 isn't
unreasonable and this problem goes away. The sample rate automatically
increases in the OZ anyway. There is no really good reason to sample
more than 5 or 6 times a minute except in the OZ. Reduces download
time and file size too.

Since I don't ever use any waypoints in the VL (because it will
then self-declare if there is a power interruption, can be
awkward to explain) my sample rate
is always the same. I use 9 seconds, because I recall
in the FAI docs (section 3c 7.1b) about a 10 second
sample rate for records/badges. This is the most frequent
rate I've seen in any doc, so I use it and it's frequent enough to
show an unambiguous 360 off tow and good OZ penetration,
yet long enough to ensure recording all day long without the
annoying lowmem beeping.

The FAI docs mention that a power interruption can be
overlooked if a good interpolation of the course is done (3c 13.8),
but these same documents also mention the latest declaration made before
takeoff is the valid one (section 3 4.4.2 a). It's
a little hard to explain if you have two traces with different
declarations because of an in flight power interruption...

So I use 9 seconds, enter no course and no waypoints,
and make sure the memory is cleared each day. Then I do all
written declarations (this is great too since I always have
a valid declaration for every flight, even if it's a year old,
and I don't have to fool with the VL). I then use a moving map Pilot III
GPS for course and waypoints, and reference the VL only for
altitudes recorded. So far I've had no discrepancies greater
than 50 feet between the VL and Pilot III GPS. I was
once grateful I checked the VL altitude, as the pressure alt
recorded was too low for the badge I wanted, and I spent
another 30 minutes climbing an extra 400 feet to the tippy top
of the thermal to make sure I was high enough for the VL.

I can't recommend ever using the VL for anything other than vertical
navigation. There are too many other products out there which
do a better job for horizontal navigation and are much more user
friendly.

Mark Boyd

Old July 25th 03, 01:54 AM
Mike Borgelt

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:16:21 GMT, "Dave Nadler \"YO\""
wrote:

Remember, if you set a long time between samples, you will
likely receive less than full distance credit with area turns...
Best Regards, Dave

Presumably when you make for the next turnpoint you have actually made
a decision - so mark the point.

Mike Borgelt
Old July 25th 03, 02:08 AM
Mike Borgelt

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:54:23 +1000, Mike Borgelt
wrote:

Presumably when you make for the next turnpoint you have actually made
a decision - so mark the point.

Mike Borgelt

This also can make the scoring software work properly. The Aussie
scoring automation has a flaw I'm told. It assumes you are going to
the next turnpoint when the distance to it starts decreasing once you
are in the first TP area. If you think about this this ain't
necessarily so and can result in lots of distance not credited.

Marking the point where the pilot has made the decision and doing the
measurements between these points avoids this problem.

Mike Borgelt
Old July 25th 03, 03:08 AM
dhb

I like the Colibri. Lot's more memory. Used in a "circular" type scheme. The
oldest data is over written. So you don't lose the current flight when you
fill up the memory, you lose the oldest flight. I set mine to a 2 second rate.
At that rate I can fly a long time before I lose a flight. Somewhere around
10.5 hours. There are a lot of other things that I don't like - but the memory
usage is one of the main reasons that I chose it over the competitors.
Dennis Brown

Old July 25th 03, 07:42 AM
Bert Willing

I agree. I run a Colibri wth 2 sec intervall, and I have 29h of memory. The
other features of this bix are rather a pain, but that's what my
Ipaq/GPS_Log is for.

Bert

thlink.net...

wrote:
[...]

Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----
Old July 25th 03, 04:39 PM
Kirk Stant

That's why I like the big old PrintTechnik GR1000 - Lots of memory so
can run several flights at 2 seconds, and it even shows the memory
available on the display when powered up so it is easy to erase when
full before a flight.

Another nice reason to run 2 seconds (aside from not having to spend
time programming the task in the logger) is that it makes the SeeYou
3d flights really smooth and fun to watch!

The last thing we need is another heads-down action (marking a
position) in the OZ, during a turn!

Now if someone would please put out a simple little Windows program to
download the GR1000, so I can use XP instead of DOS! I've have to use
my old Win98 PC booted to the DOS prompt to get reliable downloads,
and have not been able to get a successful download from an XP or
Win2000 machine yet.

How about it, SeeYou, please?

Kirk
66
Old July 29th 03, 01:12 AM
TwoZulu

I still regret that I am not trusted to make my own decisions.
Please let us make the terribly dangerous decision to turn off the #$!^&^#!#
beeping!

Sorry, I get that way after spending too much time listening to incessant
beeping.

Bob

om...