A Waikerie slip up?

Old July 22nd 03, 09:20 PM
Vassilios Mazis

Default A Waikerie slip up?

One thing is for sure, the climb gets no better.
But there is an interesting effect that few people are aware of:
Higher speed means higher Reynold's numbers accross all of the wing,
in direct proportion. Higher Reynold's number generally means higher
efficiency. Therefore, there may be some small improvement in the
glide angle.
I recall vaguelly that some model of the Ventus is quoted with an
extra 1/2 point of L/D max at maximum ballast.

regards

Vassilios Mazis

Greece
Old July 23rd 03, 08:01 AM
Philip Plane

In article ,
Vassilios Mazis wrote:

Higher speed means higher Reynold's numbers accross all of the wing,
in direct proportion. Higher Reynold's number generally means higher
efficiency. Therefore, there may be some small improvement in the
glide angle.
I recall vaguelly that some model of the Ventus is quoted with an
extra 1/2 point of L/D max at maximum ballast.

That's the case with the DG1000. From memory it's 45 and a bit dry
and just over 46 fully loaded.

--
Philip Plane _____

---------------( )---------------
Glider pilots have no visible means of support
Old July 23rd 03, 01:38 PM
George William Peter Reinhart

Wet Or Dry?
Nimbus 2C factory polar shows 47.5 @ 95 kph dry and 49@116 kph wet.
Cheers!
Old July 28th 03, 11:34 PM
Jim

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:59:12 -0400, Todd Pattist
wrote:

mosquito wrote:

What is the effect of water ballast on: (a)stall speed,
(b)climb performance and (c)glide angle?

In their answer on page 4, they say "The stall speed and glide angle are
increased..."

AFAIK, the glide angle ISN'T increased - with increased weight, you just
travel down the same glide angle, but faster.

You are correct that for a constant glide angle, the speed
at which that glide angle occurs increases as you add
ballast. Thus, if they had asked about the effect on
maximum glide angle, their answer would be wrong and yours
correct. However, they didn't ask about the effect on
maximum glide angle, nor did they specify a constant glide
angle.

Instead of assuming a constant glide angle, we could equally
well assume a constant airspeed. For a constant airspeed,
the effect varies. At speeds above the ballasted max glide
angle, adding weight increases the glide angle. At speeds
below the unballasted max glide angle, adding weight
decreases the glide angle. There's a crossover somewhere in
between those two speeds.

Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

I don't quite follow what you say in your second paragraph.
Do I understand your point if I make the following changes?

"At speeds above the ballasted max glide angle, adding weight
SHALLOWS the glide angle. At speeds below the unballasted
max glide angle, adding weight STEEPENS the glide angle."

Or is this still not right?

What is a "Forward Skip"? Gary G Piloting 57 January 7th 05 10:09 PM
Flap angles DeltaDeltaDelta Piloting 34 May 18th 04 12:09 AM
Help me clear up my brain fart Ekim Piloting 63 November 13th 03 07:23 PM