LX4000 wind calculation

Old June 22nd 04, 04:34 AM
AttentionLEcureuil

Default LX4000 wind calculation

Hi,
My ASW-20 is equipped with an LX4000 (no GPS) connected to an LX20 as
a GPS source. Everything seems to work fine except the wind
calculation.
Yesterday, the wind was pretty strong. After a couple of turns in a
few thermals and straight flight toward my first waypoint, the LX4000
tells me that the wind is 368 deg at 3kts. That can't be right since
my ground speed is 45kts and my indicated speed is 70kts.
Using traditional methods, I estimated the wind to be 270 deg at
~25kts, but the LX4000 hasn't shown a wind speed higher than 3 or 4
knots for the whole flight (and I am not talking about the wind
component on the big LCD screen which never showed a wind component
higher than 1 or 2kts and telling me I have a tail component when I
clearly had the wind straight ahead, but about the small LCD screen on
control unit).
Now, the biggest problem with this is the completely wrong final glide
computation of the required altitude, since it takes the (very badly)
calculated wind into consideration.

The firmware version is 8.6.
Anyone else has trouble with wind calculation on the LX4000?
Any idea how I could fix this?

http://www.lxnavigation.si/avionics/firmware.htm shows that version
8.7 is available for download. Is it possible to upgrade the firmware
from 8.6 to 8.7? Would that help fix the problem?

Thank you.
Old June 22nd 04, 04:56 PM
tuno

I don't have any LX4000 experience, but I have found the folks at LX
Navigation to be helpful and responsive. You can find email addresses
for support at their web page (www.lxnavigation.si).

368 degrees is a bit of an odd direction too!

If you get a solution to the problem, please be sure to post it here.

-ted
Old June 23rd 04, 04:33 AM
AttentionLEcureuil

Sorry: 368 deg was meant to be 348 deg.

I'll email LX Navigation. Thanks for the tip.

(tuno) wrote in message . com...
I don't have any LX4000 experience, but I have found the folks at LX
Navigation to be helpful and responsive. You can find email addresses
for support at their web page (
www.lxnavigation.si).

368 degrees is a bit of an odd direction too!

If you get a solution to the problem, please be sure to post it here.

-ted

Interesting wind experience Roger Long Piloting 3 November 15th 04 05:34 PM
Two non-aviation questions Ramapriya Piloting 12 November 10th 04 12:51 AM
The "Complex" TAS calculation Arnold Pieper Soaring 2 December 14th 03 12:22 PM
Weathervaning Koopas Ly Piloting 50 November 15th 03 07:56 AM
Kestral 1000 Wind Speed Meter NEW IN BOX Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 November 7th 03 06:56 PM