Biggest bonehead moves flying into OSH?

Old July 27th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Biggest bonehead moves flying into OSH?

Two days ago, while returning from the east coast on a business trip, I
heard an exchange between a plane going to OSH and the controllers in
Michigan. We were at 10,000 in an out of IMC and doing a large deviation to
avoid a line of thunderstorms.

The pilot going to OSH asked for an IFR clearance in the air to go to an
intersection near OSH (?) The controller patiently explained that a
reservation was required to get a clearance into OSH, although the pilot
didn't seem to understand what this meant, and kept asking for a clearance
to some intersection near OSH.

Finally, the controller said it wasn't going to happen, and offered VFR
advisories over the lake (roughly 80 miles). The pilot accepted this, and
proceeded to fly over the lake, between layers of clouds, at 4500 feet in a
single.

I mentally wished him luck.

While getting gas at my home base, the line guy related a story of a couple
in a clapped out ratty home built who wanted to leave at night to fly over
Lake Michigan, VFR. They said they did similar over water trips all the
time, and that they knew how to swim.

About five minutes after departure they returned, with a complete electrical
failure.

Most of the pilots I know would acknowledge that flying over Lake Michigan
in a single is a calculated risk, and would do it high, with lots of gas,
and perhaps with survival gear. Some won't do it at all in a single, since
the survival rate after ditching is very low. Most wouldn't do it at night
or in IMC.

Are there any other stories out there about questionable judgment flying
into OSH?

Old July 27th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Viperdoc" wrote in message

Are there any other stories out there about questionable judgment flying
into OSH?

I was flying east over the lake from OSH at 11,500' in a loose formation of
five planes. About half way over, I saw a bright yellow cub flying the other
way at what looked like 1000'.

Old July 27th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Viperdoc" wrote in message

Most of the pilots I know would acknowledge that flying over Lake
Michigan in a single is a calculated risk, and would do it high, with
lots of gas, and perhaps with survival gear. Some won't do it at all
in a single, **since the survival rate after ditching is very low**. Most
wouldn't do it at night or in IMC.

Are you sure about that survival rate? Here's one site that provides stats
disproving that theory (old, but the trends aren't likely to have changed
much since):

http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old July 27th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
[...]

I think the most telling clue is the fact that they do it "all the time."
These people are squarely in the "bonehead" category of pilots that occupy
the bottom 10% of the population and are a statistic waiting to happen. The
fact that it's on the way to OSH is inconsequential.

Marco

Old July 27th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article ,
John T wrote:
"Viperdoc" wrote in message

Most of the pilots I know would acknowledge that flying over Lake
Michigan in a single is a calculated risk, and would do it high, with
lots of gas, and perhaps with survival gear. Some won't do it at all
in a single, **since the survival rate after ditching is very low**. Most
wouldn't do it at night or in IMC.

Are you sure about that survival rate? Here's one site that provides stats
disproving that theory (old, but the trends aren't likely to have changed
much since):

There is surviving the ditching, and surviving the swim in Lake
Michigan. In the context of this discussion, I'd count failing
the second part as a failed ditching.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old July 27th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"John Clear" wrote in message

There is surviving the ditching, and surviving the swim in Lake
Michigan. In the context of this discussion, I'd count failing
the second part as a failed ditching.

I agree and that would have been reflected in the stats quoted in the link.

Old July 28th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fly-For-Fun

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
Most of the pilots I know would acknowledge that flying over Lake Michigan
in a single is a calculated risk, and would do it high, with lots of gas,
and perhaps with survival gear. Some won't do it at all in a single, since
the survival rate after ditching is very low. Most wouldn't do it at night
or in IMC.

If I'm going to be ditching 40 miles from shore, I choose to do it in the
Gulf of Mexico instead of Lake Michigan. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able
to ditch near a shrimp boat or oil rig. At the very least, it'll be warmer.

Old July 28th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

The issue here is not the ditching part, it's surviving Lake Michigan
for any length of time requires full survival gear. That lake has big
steel freighters on the bottom that have yet to be found after going
down (although amateurs are actively looking).
I flew over earlier this year in a 182, at 12,500 in CAVU conditions
with a brisk tailwind and felt acutely aware of the risk, but it was a
beautiful flight. I think those who fly over down low may not realize
how big it is when they get over the middle. Taking the ferry accross,
there is a period in the middle where you see nothing but water for a
couple of hours...

I volunteer at OSH and I remember a guy in non-electric Champ getting
out (with a parrott no less) from lower Michigan, having flown
directly across at about 2000'. I question the judgement, but he made
it...

The bigger issue remains the bone-heads who have no clue about the
arrival procedure, don't know anything about the NOTAM, and call in at
the 5 mile point on the Class D asking "for clearance" as one Canadian
Mooney last Sunday did (they were not too happy with him, but much to
my frustration the contollers worked with him rather than sending him
off somewhere else. It happens every year (and this year more than
once).

The other issue is those who get mixed up and try to land on the wrong
runway (like landing on 9 rather than the 50 people landing on 27),
which will get you a visit from the FSDO folks REAL QUICK. (which I
witnessed the other day up close).

OR, after landing not following directions and "freelancing" around
the airport with people everywhere, blithly ignoring all the EAA
folks.

SO, there is alot of stupid pilot tricks out there.

-Ryan

Old July 28th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
" wrote:

[snip]
I volunteer at OSH and I remember a guy in non-electric Champ getting
out (with a parrott no less) from lower Michigan, having flown
directly across at about 2000'. I question the judgement, but he made
it...

The bigger issue remains the bone-heads who have no clue about the
arrival procedure, don't know anything about the NOTAM, ...

I'm not sure which is more dangerous, low over the lakes or going to OSH
given the known number of idiots who arrive without a clue. How good
is a pilot that doesn't properly prepare?

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old July 28th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jul 28, 6:53 am, " wrote:
..

I volunteer at OSH and I remember a guy in non-electric Champ getting
out (with a parrott no less) from lower Michigan, having flown
directly across at about 2000'. I question the judgement, but he made
it...

..
-Ryan

It was the Parrot that did it! LOL

They should give out a Darwin award at OSH...

Robert

US military moves to cut helicopter accident rates Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 5th 05 03:19 AM
Bonehead move today Viperdoc Piloting 31 August 16th 05 07:27 AM
Policy on Syria Moves Toward Regime Change (for Israel) Truthseeker Naval Aviation 0 June 10th 05 10:07 PM
ATC Privatization moves forward! Larry Dighera Piloting 8 November 26th 03 02:21 AM
U.S. Air Force Moves Ahead With Studies On Air-Breathing Engines Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 29th 03 04:31 AM