GNS480 missing some LPV approaches

Old October 26th 05, 09:23 PM
Dave Butler

Default GNS480 missing some LPV approaches

Copying over some information from the GNS480-users yahoo group. The poster
claims that he received this information from Garmin customer support. Garmin
apparently requests that this information be disseminated. Funny, why don't they
just put it on their web site? Anyway:

----- begin quote -----

Hi name elided,

We have had several enquiries about this recently and so I've put together
an explanation which I send to anyone who is interested. Here's exactly
what is going on:

Garmin AT has discovered that there is a limitation in software version 2.0
of the GNS 480 (CNX80) that limits the number of LPV approaches to 255. This
is the result of a software limitation and not a result of insufficient
space in the GNS 480 memory card. The limitation was discovered with
database cycle 0510 (September 29, 2005 to October 26, 2005), in which the
total number of LPV approaches exceeded 255.

A limited number of LPV approaches will be left out of the database until
Garmin AT corrects the problem. At the present time the majority of LPV
approaches have been authorized at airports where there is an existing ILS
approach on the same runway, or at least on another runway at the same
facility. The three LPV approaches left out of the current cycle are all
located at Detroit Metro Airport (KDTW), where there are multiple ILS
approaches. Our concern is that pilots not be denied the benefits of LPV
approaches at airports without an existing ILS, and we will work to remedy
the situation in a timely manner.

Please feel free to circulate this freely. We want CNX 80/GNS 480 Users to
know the facts and not just second guesses. We sent a service letter to
Garmin dealers with this information to be disseminated to their customers.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share the facts with you.

All the Best,
name elided
Technical Support
Garmin AT Inc