Airframe/Engine Logbook Software

Old May 18th 05, 05:22 PM
RST Engineering

Default Airframe/Engine Logbook Software

I've been struggling trying to teach myself Access by writing a program for
airframe and engine logbooks. The Access part is pretty easy, but the
logbook doesn't have that "polished" look to it that I want.

Sort of like your first landings. The first ones are a success if you can
use the airplane again. They get a lot better (??) as time goes on.

Anyway, I'll continue to refine my computer skills, but I need something I
can use NOW. I've got a potful of delayed entries for Snarly Charlie that
I've been holding off until I got the program written, but it is not there
yet.

Anybody know of some shareware/freeware software for maintenance logbooks?

Jim

Old May 18th 05, 08:09 PM
Blanche

I use Excel. Sort on any column, does what I need, which is
being able to search for a specific word or phrase when I
need to determine if/when something was done, e.g. ADs.

Old May 18th 05, 08:44 PM
RST Engineering

I have all of my data files in Excel -- weight and balance, balance graph,
times, and all of that. What I want is something that will let me do the
verbiage part along with some simple time and such entries. I'm moving from
an ink logbook to a typed one. Ink signatures, of course, but typed
verbiage.

Now that I think more about it, that is what Word tables are for. I can
make it look JUST like a logbook and simply merge the right hand columns
into one. Since I am keeping times elsewhere in equation format in Excel, I
could probably crosslink those into the appropriate place by "paste special"
into Word as a link.

"search" is a simple CTRL-F for the whole logbook.

Sheesh, the simple solutions are always the ones you don't think of first.

Jim

Old May 19th 05, 12:05 AM

Blanche wrote:
I use Excel. Sort on any column, does what I need, which is
being able to search for a specific word or phrase when I
need to determine if/when something was done, e.g. ADs.

On a similar note... does anyone know where I could find some kind of
"AD log" downloadable form I could use to print off some blank copies
to attach into my airframe logbook? The prior owner of the airplane had
stapled some hand-made sheets to the back cover of the logbook to
contain AD compliance entries, its last empty sheet is about half
filled up already and I'd like to tidy up this home-made AD logs
section with something that'll look better and be easier to manage and
trace the history thru for the future AD compliance entries.

I'd like to find a format that has columns for all the AD-specific
stuff like AD number and date issued/superceeded, description, hours
and date complied with, when it's due for next inspection, etc for
recurring ADs, that kind of thing. Surely somebody has made one
somewhere and placed it on the web, but I haven;t been able to find one
yet.

Old May 19th 05, 02:27 AM
Tom Jackson

Probably the easiest thing to do, if you need a quick fix, is to enter all
of your information into an Excel spreadsheet, in a logical "database-like"
format - i.e., each column represents a field, each row represents a record.

The Excel spreadsheet can be very easily imported (or linked) into your
Access database where you can design a prettier front-end (i.e., a "form"
and/or "reports" for viewing, data entry, reporting, etc.)

In fact, you can actually maintain the data in the Excel spreadsheet while
you work on the Access formatting if you "link" to the Excel data. This
way, you can keep the data current and useful, if not really "pretty", while
you design the Access elements.

Once you are satisfied with the design, you could then import the data into
Access (as opposed to linking to Excel) and maintain it as simply an Access
DB going forward.

Old May 19th 05, 05:27 AM
Blanche Cohen

Blanche wrote:
I use Excel. Sort on any column, does what I need, which is
being able to search for a specific word or phrase when I
need to determine if/when something was done, e.g. ADs.

On a similar note... does anyone know where I could find some kind of
"AD log" downloadable form I could use to print off some blank copies
to attach into my airframe logbook?

Once again...Excel. It works on both Mac Classic, Mac OSX and Windows.
Every 6 months or so I run the entire list of ADs from the FAA website
and see if there are any new ones that the FAA forgot to mail to me.
During the crummy weather in Colorado this past winter, I scanned
every logbook, work order, etc. So my AD compliance log lists the
date of compliance (or NA) along with the tach hour so it can be
referenced back to the logbook with the A&P/IA entry.

I've got a 3-ring binder (actually, 2) for all the big paperwork.
So much neater than trying to staple stuff in the log book.

My IA loves me for this.