Tanis Pre-heater with Engine Analyzer

Old January 24th 04, 09:14 PM
Jack McAdams

I have both the Tanis and the JPI (mine is an 800 model). The
installation originally had the spark-plug ring type thermocouples and
I found them to be terrible. Wildly divergent readings. I bought the
combo thermocouple heater elements and thermocouples from Tanis (from
memory they are the TAS-100TK) and they have worked just fine. The
only problem is that two of them have failed in twelve months. That's
a bit annoying at $170 a pop.

Jack
Sundowner - N6363U

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message ...
Does anyone out there have experience with having installed a tanis
heater when a engine analyzer is already in place. I have a JPI Classic
Scanner (EGT/CHT) that had bayonnet-type probee for CHT. Tanis has a
kit designed for this sitation, but after we installed the kit, none of
the CHT readings worked at all. The installer called Tanis and JPI and
did get very useful advice on what may be going wrong. Has anyone out
there faced this problem (and successfully overcome it)?

-Sami
Piper Arrow III N2057M

Old January 25th 04, 05:53 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Amen. Ben' there, done that!

Reif is a LOT easier to add.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

take off my shoes to reply

Old January 29th 04, 12:50 PM

: The JPI CHT probes are bayonet style except for cylinder 3. Cylinder 3 has a
: JPI washer-type thermocouple under the top spark plug. Consequently, it
: reads lower than the others. The bayonet socket for cylinder 3 is occupied
: by the original Cessna CHT probe. JPI makes a dual bayonet adapter which I
: intend to install sometime.

Just FYI, I went through CHT-probe hell awhile back and ended up with four
spark-plug probes on the cylinders. In the summer, I have a bayonet probe that I swap out
for the heater on #3 (4-banger). The bayonet (the official place to measure CHT, BTW)
reads at least 60 degrees *colder* than the spark-plug probe. I've seen two posts here
that tend to imply the opposite.

It's an issue for me, since in cruise I typically see about 400 degrees on the
spark plug type... a bit too hot if it were true. Since it's actually 350 or less on the
"real" probe, I'm not concerned about it.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *