Soaring in an Airplane (Katana DA-C1)

Old November 20th 03, 09:07 AM
Mark James Boyd

Default Soaring in an Airplane (Katana DA-C1)

It seems that FAI sporting code section 3
definition 1.0.5 is very liberal in its
definition of a motor glider

"Motor glider - A fixed wing aerodyne equipped
with means of propulsion (MoP) capable
of sustaining soaring flight without thrust
from the means of propulsion"

So it seems that even a 737 can be considered
a motor glider if one can find enough lift
to provide "sustained soaring flight" without
the MoP.

Even more interesting, it seems that an ASEL
pilot (without a glider license and without a
self-launch endorsement) could get badges and
set records in something like a Katana
(14:1 glide, best glide around 70 knots).
Of course the lift would need to be quite
strong (I'm guessing min sink is 250-300 fpm)
but mtn wave is a likely candidate.

I once soared a Katana DA-C1 in Reno wave this way,
quite accidentally, with the engine at idle.
Hmmm...with an engine noise level GPS Volklogger,
perhaps I could stop the prop instead, and
use the DA-C1 to get an altitude part of a badge?

Can anyone see any reason a DA-C1 airplane could
not be used for soaring badges and records, assuming
the engine and prop were stopped? :-) Sure
beats three rope breaks on tow ;-)
Old November 20th 03, 05:35 PM
Tom Serkowski

I know a pilot who got his 5 hour duration on a Cessna 180 back in the
1960's. He has over 150 hours enging off time flying in the Sierra
wave. One thing he found was that after a couple hours of cold
soaking the engine, it just wouldn't start. So he also had quite a
few dead-stick landings

The barograph was attached to the firewall behind the instrument panel
and provided a good indication of engine on/off.

-Tom
Old November 20th 03, 07:47 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Mark James Boyd wrote:
Can anyone see any reason a DA-C1 airplane could
not be used for soaring badges and records, assuming
the engine and prop were stopped? :-) Sure
beats three rope breaks on tow ;-)

I don't know for the US, but in France the regulation
doesn't allow a pilot flying an aircraft registered as an
airplane rather than a (motor)glider to stop the engine
in flight. And of course the pilot should hold an airplane
license.
Old November 21st 03, 12:30 AM
BTIZ

we've got a picture around here of a Piper Tomahawk wave soaring with the
prop stopped.. about 8000MSL in at Jean NV,

BT

Old November 21st 03, 06:12 PM
Buck Wild

I stopped the prop on a Pawnee at 8000 in sierra rotor, and climbed to
14,500
at an average of 1500fpm one day. Outclimbed several gliders who
weren't quite in it, much to their suprise.
Can I get some kinda badge for that?

-Dan