A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

inReach message latency

Old January 13th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR
external usenet poster

Default inReach message latency

I just "upgraded" from spot to inReach mostly for the ability to compose and address a message in the field (perhaps literally). When using it while fishing in the everglades, I found that texts never made it, and emails could be delayed by hours. The device would confirm that a message was sent typically inside of 10min, but not get to the recipient in some cases 6hrs later. Not what I was hoping for. I don't know if it was a system issue, or if any other inReach users had the same issue. The tracking seems up to the minute, but the messaging is not. Is it working for you?

Rick
Old January 13th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 1:29:45 PM UTC-7, RR wrote:
I just "upgraded" from spot to inReach mostly for the ability to compose and address a message in the field (perhaps literally). When using it while fishing in the everglades, I found that texts never made it, and emails could be delayed by hours. The device would confirm that a message was sent typically inside of 10min, but not get to the recipient in some cases 6hrs later. Not what I was hoping for. I don't know if it was a system issue, or if any other inReach users had the same issue. The tracking seems up to the minute, but the messaging is not. Is it working for you?

Rick

Rick - I have used it for 2 years and the messages go out quickly with no delay issues. I would try it in town and in some other locations and hopefully, the messages will go out a lot quicker. If not, you may want to contact them to see what they say and recommend. I really do like the inReach so hopefully, any issues you have will be resolved quickly. Good luck! Renny
Old January 14th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 12:29:45 PM UTC-8, RR wrote:

Rick

I haven't used the email facility very much, but when I first got it I tried a couple and they arrived within a few minutes. Texts, too.
Old January 14th 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It's always a good idea to report such problems especially if you can provide specific times. Their tech support is quite responsive.

-Tom