121.5 & Airliners

Old November 16th 03, 04:46 PM
Nolaminar

Default 121.5 & Airliners

The only time that 121.5 is monitored is over the ocean or very remote areas.
While I can't speak for ALL Carriers, I am pretty sure that none listen in on
121.5 while over the continental US.
Bob Gaines
Retired
Delta
Old November 16th 03, 05:39 PM
Nolaminar

Just got latest information, and now learn that 121.5 is monitored by
airliners..
Disregard first transmission.
GA
Old November 16th 03, 07:12 PM
Lord Struthers

A secter frequency might be handy if there's a repeater on one of the hills
nearby.

Old November 16th 03, 11:47 PM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Nolaminar" wrote in message
Just got latest information, and now learn that 121.5 is monitored by
airliners..
Disregard first transmission.
GA

Bob, Didn't listen on 121.5 when I was still flying either (except when
asked to by ATC). What is this "latest info" that you have.

Duane

Old November 17th 03, 12:52 AM
Eric Greenwell

Oops. That was supposed to say...

Good - I can remember that!

Old November 17th 03, 01:00 AM
Reb Byrne

Duane and all,

Here's what I sent to Bob offline. Hope the spammers don't get my
address....

Bob,

Since 9-11 monitoring 121.5 has become a high interest item by the FAA.
Apparently they tried to use it to contact some folks and they weren't
listening. Anyway, we now look for it on line checks and judging from the
chatter
I'm hearing on it (American XX contact center on xxx.xx, etc) and the fact
that
they're getting answers I'd say it is being monitored more often than not.

Reb Byrne
2D
FedEx F/O and S/O LCA

Old November 17th 03, 02:15 AM
Lord Struthers

I don't ever recall listening on what the military folks called "guard
channel", maybe once center made a request.
Old November 17th 03, 02:16 AM
Mark Zivley

Something to remember if you suspect that a pilot is down/lost might be
to solicit help monitoring 121.5 from commercial traffic in the area via
a request through ATC for a geographic area. Just a thought.