Gliders for the larger pilot

Old November 18th 03, 08:21 PM
Steve Hopkins

Default Gliders for the larger pilot

Do any American gliders cater for the larger glider
pilot? Over on this side of the pond European 'standards'
have seen the death of diversity and now our gliders
only cater for the 'euro-standard-pilot'. Looking for
something big and comfortable with reasonable performance.

Old November 18th 03, 10:20 PM
Marc Ramsey

Steve Hopkins wrote:
Do any American gliders cater for the larger glider
pilot? Over on this side of the pond European 'standards'
have seen the death of diversity and now our gliders
only cater for the 'euro-standard-pilot'. Looking for
something big and comfortable with reasonable performance.

Sounds like you want a Genesis II. The biggest cockpit around in a
glider that is comparable with a Discus in performance...

Marc
Old November 19th 03, 12:14 AM
George Vranek

Try an ASW-20. There is comfortable enough room for a 6 feet 2 inches pilot,
all grips have a propper size and easy to reach position and the flaps
system is the best ewer made in a glider.
George

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
y.com...

Old November 19th 03, 03:46 AM
Bob Kibby

Try an SZD-59 acro, you will like it! 6'5"' 210 lbs and have one for sale.
If that doesn't work then buy my relatively new Discus- 2T which I also fly
and accomoditates a same size pilot.

New "2BK" old "59A

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

"Steve Hopkins" k wrote in
message ...

Old November 19th 03, 04:35 AM
Jim Phoenix

Steve Hopkins wrote ...
Do any American gliders cater for the larger glider
pilot?

You might consider the Schweizer 1-26 - plenty big cockpit and the E
model has a higher gross weight.

A 1-26 is ranked number one in the 2003 OLC USA division.

My Nimbus 3 is ranked about 89th or so... I can't wait to get my 1-26A
flying again so I can move my ranking up a bit.

hee,hee ;-)
Old November 19th 03, 09:47 AM
Al

try here

http://www.gliderforum.com/thread-vi...id=600&posts=9

Al

"Steve Hopkins" k wrote in
message ...

Old November 19th 03, 06:24 PM
Scott Correa

"Jim Phoenix" wrote in message
om...
You might consider the Schweizer 1-26 - plenty big cockpit and the E
model has a higher gross weight.

Yes Yes Yes.....
I toured TSA and literally fell into a 1-26 cockpit. I'm 6-4/250
and was quite suprised at the room. It also has a high enough seat
limit to get my fat chuted butt snapped in. Rental rate REALLY reasonable.

I managed to wedge myself into a PW-5, and I'm sure that I could have flown
it if I used enough vaseline, and didn't need to move the stick, or wiggle
the rudder,
or look anywhere but straight ahead, or......................

Scott Correa.

Old November 20th 03, 03:56 AM
Slingsby

If you're near the upper weight limit, you'll also need to add tail
ballast if you want to fly with a slightly aft cg, and the centerline
with a large, comfortable cockpit and a very strong wing and landing
gear. The Genesis 2 wing failed in testing at 19 g's assuming a 310
Lb. pilot/equipment load. In turbulent air or high speed you won't
have that nagging fear in the back of your mind. At 6-5/250 you would
fit into a Genesis although you would be near the upper limit for the
max. landing weight of 807Lbs. and the max. weight of all non-lifting
parts of 531Lbs. With the Genesis, the ultimate design limit load is
one helluva lot larger than the placard limit load, and the seat limit
load of 242 requires tail ballast if it is exceeded. 242 is not the
limit. If you are large and you want to fly without a nagging fear of
snapping wings look into the Genesis 2, Marske Pioneer 3 (if they ever
finish it) or Bob K's HP-24. The LAK 17/19 also have very strong wing
spars but I don't know how large the cockpit is.