PW-5 and NHRA Pro Stock Trucks........

Old November 21st 03, 02:42 PM
Scott Correa

Default PW-5 and NHRA Pro Stock Trucks........

The lack of respect for the PW-5 has little to do with looks or performance.
It shares the same fate as NHRA Pro Stock Trucks do. A great cost saving
idea that was abandoned by the promoter after they changed their minds on
how
good an idea it was. So when the FAI didn't put World Class in the
world championships, the class folded, leaving a bunch of one design guys
no place to play. Now I think that World Class would go over well
if you got to fly for the big money, like Open,18, 15 and Standard do.
I really think that the PW-5 community got screwed by having the
Promoters back away from the class after the birds/tooling got made.

Now is it fast, no
Is it pretty, no
Is it 40-1, no

You can always buy more bird for the buck
with an obsolete Std or 15mtr ship, but you end up in the
same boat. A nice flying airplane that is uncompetitive
in un-handicapped contests but great for badge flying.

At least the gel-cost isn't falling off of em.........

But it begs one other question. Why aren't you guys ragging on the
other low performance gasbags that have no legs, aren't 40-1
and have warts? I see a nice little plane being trashed because it
isn't a way to measure anatomical size. Look at it for what it is,
a plane for 80% of the soaring pilots that don't fly far from
home and like to stay up in the local area.

Scott

Old November 22nd 03, 02:27 AM
Arnold Pieper

Scott,

No offense, but apparently you didn't read my other posting about the World
Class and the PW-5.
The World Class was no "cost saving idea", although cost was part of the
equation.

If you want to try your hand at chasing a world record, the World Class is
there.
It is a FAI class, with its own record category.
All pilots who try their hands at the World Class have to fly the exact same
equipment (PW-5).

That's what the PW-5 is for.

It was never intended to be a part of the regular world championship because
the World Class has a higher calling, which is the World Air Games.
Since the WAG are every 4 years, there is now a World Class Championship as
well.
And like I said in another message, all pilots have to fly the PW-5, with
the exact same wing loading and CG.

You couldn't be more off the target, man.