Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

Old November 18th 18, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

Christmas is coming. Any suggested combinations?

I currently have a ClearNav II (in a tunnel). Will probably be upgrading the transponder to a Trig 22 in the not too distant future.

I am concerned about iPad legibility in sunlight. Is that an issue? Is there another tablet with markedly better visibility in sunlight?
Old November 18th 18, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I fly with an iPad mini 4. Visibility is sunlight is fine
Old November 19th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I should clarify why I am not simply going PowerFLARM to the ClearNav...

1. I spend a lot of time with the ClearNav zoomed in, especially while thermalling early in the flight (which is near the airport and higher density power traffic).

2. When thunderstorms pop up, it would be nice to have the ADS-B weather function to help me find the best route home.

3. A portable receiver and iPad would allow me to use the equipment when flying another airplane.

I'm not set on this direction. Just trying to see what the best option would look like if I chose this route.
Old November 19th 18, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have both an iPad mini 4 and a Nexus 7 Android.Â* The iPad has better
visibility in the sunlight, but the operating system continually ****es
me off with demands to plug it in and lock it so that it can be backed
up.Â* It also quits if it sits in the sun. Between the brighter screen on
the iPad and the friendlier operating system and wealth of applications,
I like the Android much better.

I have a Trig 22 and ADS-B out in my glider and I also have a portable
WAAS GPS which will receive all of the ADS-B in targets, weather, TFRs,
etc.Â* I haven't used that in the glider yet, but it's coming.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 19th 18, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 3:13:38 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I should clarify why I am not simply going PowerFLARM to the ClearNav...

1. I spend a lot of time with the ClearNav zoomed in, especially while thermalling early in the flight (which is near the airport and higher density power traffic).

2. When thunderstorms pop up, it would be nice to have the ADS-B weather function to help me find the best route home.

3. A portable receiver and iPad would allow me to use the equipment when flying another airplane.

I'm not set on this direction. Just trying to see what the best option would look like if I chose this route.

You need to think about what display/flight book software you want. That will likely drive decisions. e.g. lots of folks want Foreflight (I do)... that means an iPad.

Remember to plan to add a TN-70 or TN-72 GPS to the Trig TT-22 to get ADS-B Out for full ADS-B traffic services and/or if you need full post 2020 ADS-B Out compliance. And when that ADS-B Out is configured make sure the ADS-B In links are correctly described so you get those TIS-B traffic services (it's easy for folks doing that configuration to miss portable ADS-B receivers).

Old November 19th 18, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 5:38:41 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I have both an iPad mini 4 and a Nexus 7 Android.Â* The iPad has better
visibility in the sunlight, but the operating system continually ****es
me off with demands to plug it in and lock it so that it can be backed
up.Â* It also quits if it sits in the sun. Between the brighter screen on
the iPad and the friendlier operating system and wealth of applications,
I like the Android much better.

I have a Trig 22 and ADS-B out in my glider and I also have a portable
WAAS GPS which will receive all of the ADS-B in targets, weather, TFRs,
etc.Â* I haven't used that in the glider yet, but it's coming.

Dan

You can stop being nagged at to do iCloud backups by turning them off :-)
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8018776

It's an example of "Apple knows best".

Darryl

Old November 19th 18, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks Darryl.Â* I only use the iPad with Garmin Pilot in the 180,
nothing else, so I don't care about any of the Apple stuff.Â* It was the
hardware that I needed to do the job.

Old November 19th 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]

I have an iPad mini 4 and a Stratus for adsb in. Works great and I can easily move it between aircraft. I do not have adsb out, so I miss some of the traffic. If I’m flying low on the ridges, the adsb signal is poor and intermittent so I’m missing traffic anyway......
Old November 19th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I got the XGPS-170d for ADS-B in capability in the glider long before
considering installing ADS-B in the glider and, I think before we
installed it in the Cessna 180.Â* Unfortunately, it won't work with the
iPad (thanks Apple), and the Android version of Garmin Pilot crashes all
the time and doesn't have all the functionality of the Apple version
(thanks Garmin), so I'm stuck with both now.Â* Had I to do it over, I'd
get the stratus and use the iPad in both aircraft.Â* Oh wait...Â* Avare
won't work on the iPad so I'd have to buy ForeFlight to use in both
aircraft (thanks Apple and/or Google and/or Garmin) so I...Â* Oh never
mind.Â* I'm stuck with both now.

Old November 19th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Dan

Build yourself a Stratux (http://stratux.me/). Works the same as Stratus. A buddy and I have tested both and there is little or no difference. You can buy a Stratux prebuild or build it yourself. Build it yourself, I think I spent about $150(thru Amazon) with every option and assembled it in about 1/2 hour taking my time and double checking everything. The next one would take about 15 minutes. Works!!

Bruce