Up, up and away ...

Old October 6th 03, 10:58 AM
Bill Gribble

Default Up, up and away ...

Since July, when I cashed in a "trial lesson" voucher at a gliding club
in the Black Mountains of Wales and had my first experience of gliding,
I've been lurking here but otherwise stranded on the ground staring
wistfully at the sky.

I'd warned my wife continually of what she was in danger of starting by
giving me such a thing for a Christmas present ... Finally got the
pennies together to join a gliding club down the road (and a little more
local than Wales) and had my first couple of lessons on Saturday in one
of the club's Ka13's.

I can't possibly explain the rush. So I felt compelled to share my
elation with you all, on the grounds that I wouldn't need to put it into
words. Friends and family alike have taken to avoiding me since Saturday
because I think my obsession with the single subject of what my hometown
looks like from 4000 feet is becoming a little tedious. I can only pity
them because they just so obviously cannot understand

Anyway, next flying day is Wednesday ... All I have to do is find
justification for ducking out of the office for the afternoon. Not so
sure I can manage to hold out all the way through to next Saturday ...

Bill
Old October 6th 03, 01:00 PM
tango4

Welcome aboard ( or should that be aloft?) Bill

If you've been lurking around here for a year you will know that the
opinions expressed here often seem as ' fast, complex, crowded and noisy' as
you mentioned in your other posting but once airborne most of us soar for
exactly the same reaasons that have attracted you to our fold.

Here's wishing you a long and rewarding soaring 'career'!

Ian
VentusBt - Parham - UK

.. .

Old October 6th 03, 03:23 PM
Mike Stramba

Bill Gribble wrote in message ...

Hi Bill,

Addictive isn't it ? g.

I wonder if we would be as fascinated with flight, if we were all
riding around in gliders / light planes from an early age, as often as
we do in automobiles ? I hope so.

Friends and family alike have taken to avoiding me since Saturday
because I think my obsession with the single subject of what my hometown
looks like from 4000 feet is becoming a little tedious. I can only pity
them because they just so obviously cannot understand

You'll just have to convince *them* to try it too !

Mike
Old October 6th 03, 03:33 PM
Scott

Yup, you took the bait. Only your flying frends will understand, everyone
else looks at you blankly when you try to explain.
[...]

---

Old October 6th 03, 10:33 PM
Marcel Duenner

I can only pity
them because they just so obviously cannot understand

This quote is about 70 years old:

'How can they know the joy of living, them who cannot fly?'

Regards and enjoy!
Marcel

Why walk when you can soar?