In search of drier trailers

Old March 30th 10, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
None[_2_]

Default In search of drier trailers

Do you have electricity at your trailer?
There is a device called Dampp-Chaser that is used inside pianos to
keep them from soaking up humidity. It is a long rod that is heated
electrically and will elevate temperature enough to keep a piano dry
(but not too dry). Two or three of these strategically placed might
do the job. I believe they are available in more than one length.
Old March 30th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Mar 29, 8:52*pm, None wrote:
Do you have electricity at your trailer?
There is a device called Dampp-Chaser that is used inside pianos to
keep them from soaking up humidity. *It is a long rod that is heated
electrically and will elevate temperature enough *to keep a piano dry
(but not *too dry). *Two or three of these strategically placed might
do the job. *I believe they are available in more than one length.

When my repair shop was open we would open all trailers regularly and
the metal trailers were always wet inside. The fiberglass tops
weren't, neither were the wood trailers. I believe the moisture came
from condensation and would build up inside to the point the ceiling
would be dripping water droplets over time. Recommend opening your
trailer as often as possible and installing a solar fan with a small
vent on the floor at the opposite end of the trailer so the fan can
change-out all the moist air during the day when the solar fan is
operating and the air isn't so damp. Left long enough and moisture
will build up inside the cockpit, ever notice rusty bolts in your
cockpit? I even saw one bird with moisture inside the instruments, but
the trailer hadn't been opened in years!
Cheers,
JJ
Old March 30th 10, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

On Mar 29, 10:52*pm, None wrote:
Do you have electricity at your trailer?
There is a device called Dampp-Chaser that is used inside pianos to
keep them from soaking up humidity. *It is a long rod that is heated
electrically and will elevate temperature enough *to keep a piano dry
(but not *too dry). *Two or three of these strategically placed might
do the job. *I believe they are available in more than one length.

The cheapo solution is a 60 watt lightbulb. Better, you can buy for
$40 a bilge heater at a boat store. This is a 40 watt heater designed
to go in the bottom of a boat -- where they have the same problem --
to warm it up just enough to stop condensation.

I use this in the winter. Our gliders at least go in a hangar in the
winter, but guess what, a hangar can be worse than outside. A huge
slab of cold concrete is a water magnet on those spring mornings, and
by being inside the solar vents don't work.

If you have power, of course, a dehumidifier is even better.

The problem I still haven't solved is spring/summer, aluminum top, no
power available to trailer. Filling the trailer with water absorbers
as you find in the hardware store helps -- at least the water
absorbers fill up giving some psychological relief.

Here's a challenge for all our talented backyard engineers! How can we
stop this daily condensation cycle for trailers parked outside away
from power?

John Cochrane
Old March 30th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Here's a challenge for all our talented backyard engineers! How can we
stop this daily condensation cycle for trailers parked outside away
from power?

How about packing trailer with those lovely little silica "Do Not Eat
Dessicant Package" thingies that come in electronics packages?
They would absorb the moisture. You would only need to take the
packing out every once in a while (depending on the humidity) and bake
them to remove the moisture and re-use.

(and yes, tongue is planted firmly in cheek).
Old March 30th 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Mar 30, 7:20*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:52*pm, None wrote:

[...]

Suggestion 1: Move west to a dry climate and get better soaring in the
bargain.

Old March 30th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Suggestion 1: Move west to a dry climate and get better soaring in the
bargain.- Hide quoted text -

that doesnt sound very challenging
Old March 31st 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Here's a challenge for all our talented backyard engineers! How can we
stop this daily condensation cycle for trailers parked outside away
from power?

John Cochrane

Oreos tend to absorb moisture. And they make a pretty neat snack
after a strenuous session of glider rigging!

Signed,
The Cookie Monster

Old March 31st 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Oreos tend to absorb moisture. *And they make a pretty neat snack
after a strenuous session of glider rigging!

Signed,
The Cookie Monster

Says the guy with a Glasflugel 604 !

In search of drier trailers Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 2 March 30th 10 12:47 AM
open trailers [email protected] Soaring 1 December 5th 06 04:41 PM
F/S: Pik-20 and PW-5 trailers DB Soaring 0 August 9th 05 02:44 PM
Trailers Don Johnstone Soaring 2 July 13th 05 09:30 PM
Pic trailers culverflyer Soaring 1 May 5th 04 01:37 AM