Soaring?

Old April 2nd 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Default Soaring?

Isn't there anything we can do to keep all the unrelated crap off of
here?
Old April 2nd 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Apr 2, 10:23*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Isn't there anything we can do to keep all the unrelated crap off of
here?

Nope. Its a Usenet Newsgroup, real vintage 1970's technology/
protocols! Basically there's no concept of "membership" or access
control.

Ah well,

--Noel
Old April 2nd 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Apr 2, 10:23*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Isn't there anything we can do to keep all the unrelated crap off of
here?

In a word, no. This being UseNet, you either need good newsreader
filters or a thick skin, or preferably both. The generally anarchic
underpinnings of UseNet are such that attempts to moderate or censor
these forums is interpreted as damage and get routed around.

If you're reading RAS with Google, they have made it generally easier
to report spam. Just click on the "Report Spam" link at the bottom of
the window. It now takes fewer clicks to report spam and then get back
to what you were doing.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old April 2nd 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 2, 10:38*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Apr 2, 10:23*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:

Isn't there anything we can do to keep all the unrelated crap off of
here?

In a word, no. This being UseNet, you either need good newsreader
filters or a thick skin, or preferably both. The generally anarchic
underpinnings of UseNet are such that attempts to moderate or censor
these forums is interpreted as damage and get routed around.

If you're reading RAS with Google, they have made it generally easier
to report spam. Just click on the "Report Spam" link at the bottom of
the window. It now takes fewer clicks to report spam and then get back
to what you were doing.

Thanks, Bob K.

If you are reading with Google Groups there is a Grease Monkey script
for Mozilla Firefox that allows you to kill/hide a thread based on
topic or author. See http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

Other options are to try a real newsreader like Mozilla Thunderbird
with a USENET news feed from your ISP.

The *worst* thing you can do on USENET (i.e. Google Groups or wherever
you read rec.aviation.soaring) is to reply to the spam. That
considered anti-social and can cause your reply to appear in the
readers of people using filters. Often spammers cross-post to many
newsgroups so s simple reply in to them in rec.aviation.soaring might
turn up in rec.hobbies.knitting and **** off innocent users there.
Worst it seems to fuel the spammers to do more since they see people
are reading their spam. Nobody is likely to be able to say something
to stop the spammers that clearly have physiological problems, they
are going to keep posting, barking at the moon, and whatever else they
do, all we can do is just keep turning off their ISP access one spam
post at a time.

If something obnoxious is appearing, just let it go, you cn mark it as
spam in Googel Groups etc. or just trust that others have already
reported it either to places like Google Groups, or more sophisticated
users have already looked at the header path, worked out the
originating ISP and contacted their spam police.

Darryl
Old April 2nd 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 2, 11:26*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Sigh, some of the spammers clearly have psychological problems, I may
have a physiological (or psychological?) problem affecting my typing
ability....

Darryl
Old April 2nd 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Apr 2, 11:35*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Darryl.................that's ok, we still like you.

Brad
Old April 2nd 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
If you're reading RAS with Google, they have made it generally easier
to report spam. Just click on the "Report Spam" link at the bottom of
the window.

....and then absolutly nothing will happen, but at least you will feel like you
have done your part. ;-) On the Usenet, Google is the PROBLEM, not the
solution. Google serves as the biggest & most reliable superhighway for
spammers and trolls to access Usenet.

I use eternal-september.org for free Usenet access along with the Outlet Express
program that came shipped in my compter. Eternal-September seems to have great
spam filtering so I see only a fraction of the spam that appears on Google, plus
OE lets me easily filter out the trolls. Why would you do it any other way?
Dump Google Groups!

Vaughn

.................................................. .......
Nothing personal, but if you are posting through Google Groups I may not receive
your message. Google refuses to control the flood of spam messages originating
in their system, so on any given day I may or may not have Google blocked. Try
a real NNTP server & news reader program and you will never go back. All you
need is access to an NNTP server (AKA "news server") and a news reader program.
You probably already have a news reader program in your computer (Hint: Outlook
Express). Assuming that your Usenet needs are modest,
usehttp://www.eternal-september.org/ and/or, http://news.aioe.org/ and/or
https://www.x-privat.org/index.php for free. http://www.teranews.com/ charges a
one-time $3.95 setup fee. Newsguy,
http://www.newsguy.com/ offers a variety of reasonably priced services. If you
wish to experiment with real Usenet access, they will give you a free 2-day
trial account. http://www.cnntp.org/ provides vari