Which Logger?

Old August 25th 03, 08:56 PM
tango4

Default Which Logger?

Aircraft - Ventus Bt, Asw 20 bl and Libelle.
Logger / Vario - Colibri and Lx160 ( now a 160s )

Opinion - 8/10
Plusses - Reasonably simple to use. Reliable, plenty memory
Minus - can't set task and/or active TP in flight via RS232 interface
without redeclaration ocurring

Volkslogger / Borgelt B50
Opinion 8/10
Minus - Memory overflows and cocks up logging
Plus - more functionality on RS232 interface.

Ian

"Kevin Neave" k wrote in
message ...
Anyone out there got any views on the pros & cons of
the Colibri vs Volkslogger?

They're about the same price / size etc.

Anyone used both & have a preference?

(I'll probably end up connecting the logger to an LX160s
vario & a PDA running the free version of Cambridge
PC-Nav)

Cheers

Old August 25th 03, 11:23 PM
Chip Fitzpatrick

I had the Colibri and the LX160 in a 19B. They work very well together.

Chip Fitzpatrick
N127KK

Old August 28th 03, 12:28 AM
Martin Hellman

Kevin Neave k wrote in message ...
Anyone out there got any views on the pros & cons of
the Colibri vs Volkslogger?

They're about the same price / size etc.

Anyone used both & have a preference?

(I'll probably end up connecting the logger to an LX160s
vario & a PDA running the free version of Cambridge
PC-Nav)

Cheers

A friend of mine has the Volkslogger and I have the Colibri. I prefer
the Colibri because of its larger memory and FIFO software. That is,
when the Colibri runs out of memory, it overwrites the oldest flight,
whereas if memory serves me, the Volkslogger just stops recording.
Also, the Colibri is smart enough while you're waiting on the ground
to take off that it stops recording, while I believe the Volkslogger
wastes memory in that phase. [This is from memory and please correct
me if I'm wrong. But I did make this decision just a few months ago
and believe my memory is relatively accurate.]

Even with engine monitor on (I fly a motorglider), I get over 70 hours
of memory from the Colibri, whereas the Volkslogger has a
significantly shorter time before you need to download. With 70 hours,
I never need to carry a laptop with me and try to download. (A real
mess based on what I saw my friend try to do, though maybe he was new
to the unit then.) I just remove the Colibri, take it home, connect it
to my PC (and 12 v) and download via SeeYou. Real smooth.

Martin
Old September 9th 03, 04:45 PM
Mzsoar

anyone had any experience with the EW looger. It's about half the price of the
others.
__Mike
Old September 9th 03, 05:15 PM
Tim

Tim s comments read:

(Mzsoar)s comments read:

anyone had any experience with the EW looger. It's about half the price of the
others.
__Mike

They are OK if you operate them correctly ... as the internal battery
can run flat very quickly. The don't have any ENL recording so are not
suitable in Turbos/Self Launchers.

And I should have added - they need an external GP source so there is
a bit more wiring than say a Colibri or Volkslogger
--
Tim - ASW20CL "20"
Old September 9th 03, 06:38 PM
rhpf

Most other loggers include a GPS the EW does not and has to be used with a
specified GPS for ICG approved flights.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old September 10th 03, 01:04 AM
G.A. Seguin

"Mzsoar" wrote in message
anyone had any experience with the EW looger. It's about half the price

of the
others.
__Mike

Hi,
I use a EW since 1997, B model. Battery is not a problem, one 9 volts
every
3 month/40 to 50 hours. Latest D model can take outside power with
internal battery back-up.
With Garmin 12 is half price of GPSNAV, same service.
Gilles