Dr. Jack's Wind Direction

Old October 4th 03, 12:28 AM
rjciii

Dear JJ:

If you skip over my postings (since I "*NEVER* have anything to
offer"--kinda like "the wind is *ALWAYS* from"), then why did you
repond to my original question? ; )

Methinks you mistake many of my posting because of a prevalent
defensive tone due to the fact that I'm not about to take any s%#t
from anybody on this forum. But if you reread this and previous
threads, I generally don't start out that way. Tit for tat. In this
case, all I did was simply ask if anyone could verify *something*
(I'll never make that egregious mistake again!). If my original
question would have been answered in a civil manner, as opposed to "I
suppose you also want to know why we drive on the right side of the
road", then maybe I would have not retaliated in the only option
available to me as a reply in kind. I stated that I "ASSUMED that Dr.
Jack's directions were IAW METAR standard FROM", but that the day's
actuality was winds 180 degrees out--so I was exploring all options
(now much to my chagrin). Look what that quest for expanding my
knowledge has produced.

.................................................. ..........................

Dear Dr. Jack:

I truly appreciate your Blipmap info; however, I must have skipped
over the disclaimer that states utilizing your data automatically
subjects one to a teacher/student relationship requiring one to first
"do [one's] homework". Can you see how one might consider that kinda,
well, somewhat arrogant on your part? I understand why you don't
respond to email (even though you have your address posted at the
site?). What I really don't understand is why you would care one iota
that I chose to ask such a question on R.A.S. Do you think it is an
affront to your knowledge that I asked a question about one of your
parameters? Also be advised that I did try to first locate the answer
via your website without success. A small critisism is that there is
entirely too much verbal noise which hides the forest from the trees
(as may be witnessed by the lengthy pontification of your preceeding
post. My excuse is that this is actually two letters). Jeez, after
your recently expressed opinions, I doubt anyone would dare to ask a
Blipmap question on this forum for a long time. Was that your
intention? If soaring weather matters can't be openly discussed
here--then where do you suggest such matter be better addressed? A
motorcycle forum? Chess forum? The Society for Creative Anacronism?

.................................................. .........................

You know what, guys, I'm just some Joe Schmo who has an interest in
soaring (which I thought was something we all have in common). All I
wanted was a better understanding of how to use some maps. Thanks for
taking the time to enlighten me in such a fraternal manner. To wit,
here's my humble apology: I'm so sorry to bother you, Jack, and JJ
with such trivial matters. A thousand pardons indeed!

I wish you both safe and sucessful soaring. I'll be the guy with the
wind blowing me *FROM* the opposite direction.

Regards, Ray
Old October 4th 03, 01:00 AM
rjciii

Jack Glendening wrote:

(Interestingly, I checked and found that the
correspondent had not taken the time/trouble to become a registered
user - yet he wanted me to take time/trouble on his behalf!)

Sorry, Doc. Wasn't my intention to put you out...
Does not registering make me a freeloader or something?
I honestly don't realize if there is a fee involved in using your
info.
Is there?

but he did receive an automated email
response suggesting that any question could be posted to the DrJack
Forum for someone to answer. He chose not to do that but instead
to post to the entire RAS community,

Yes, I admit that I did not following your instructions to the
letter--
let's give the man a "F" and a thousand lashes with a wet noodle...

the fact that I knew that the asker had not made any effort to find
the answer himself, even though it was readly available.

Not true, sir. I honestly tried but got lost in a maze of verbage and
multiple links. Guess that makes me either lazy or stupid (or both).

the "anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot" type of posting

As opposed to, in this case, "anyone who asks a question is an idiot"?

I did want to let you know why you shouldn't expect to see regular
postings from me.

T'ant pis pour nous!
Old October 4th 03, 04:51 AM
rjciii

Jack Glendening wrote:

(Interestingly, I checked and found that the
correspondent had not taken the time/trouble to become a registered user
- yet he wanted me to take time/trouble on his behalf!)

Dear Dr. Jack:

I hate to "bother" you again, but I wanted you to know that I just
reviewed all the verbage at the beginning of your website. It says
"Registration is required for this viewer to work".

-Question: How the heck do you suppose I have been able to view the
maps all along if I wasn't a registered user?

-Answer: I had indeed registered at some point in the past but with a
former (but at that time current) email address of . Did
that possibility ever cross your mind? Should I re-register every
time I change my email address?

So you see, in actuality I did take the time/trouble. But thanks
anyhow for slamming me in a public forum.

What we have here is a failure to communicate (and some egregious
assumptions to boot)...

In fact, my only sin was to not expand my initial attempt to "do my
homework" by noticing the *more info* link after initially reviewing
the *parameter information webpage* link. My bad. I do hope you'll
forgive me my oversight.

Oh, the horror of horrors!

Sir, are there any other sitpulations to usage you wish to divulge for
one to access your data without fear of public admonishment?

As I stated before, I appreciate the efforts you expend to supply this
information to the soaring community; however, I'm not certain I can
handle all the baggage that comes with said use. But I promise I'll
really try harder to be a better student and "do my homework" before I
dare ask you a question (or anyone else on RAS for that matter) again.

Enjoy your retirement--you obviously need it.
Old October 4th 03, 03:50 PM
Jonathan Gere

Thank you, Ray, for giving BlipMap fans a chance to show their
gratitude and devotion to Dr. Jack by piling on. BlipMaps may be
hanging on by a thread. I think that Dr. Jack, as a scientist, would
prefer some systematic verification of BlipMaps to online thank you
notes, but something is better than nothing.

Sorry you got only a smart-ass answer from JJ. At least Andy Durbin
understood. It is quite reasonable to suspect any computer output is
180° degrees off, by design or error. Even a few years of uncritical
acceptance by users doesn't preclude the possibility of error in the
case of a seldom used feature. If R.A.S. was all it could be, you
would have been deluged with testimonials and quantitative validations
of the accuracy of the winds BlipMap by users. Sorry that didn't
happen. I think a 180° error would have been noticed, but who knows?
For quite a while the F.S.L. web soundings had winds that were
systematically off by up to 18°, but that is a lot harder to spot.

You might have waited to undertake a scientific study, when you
noticed something funny on a single flight. But I don't think it was
a terrible thing to ask on RAS about the interpretation of the winds
BlipMap. Neither was it wrong to ask about circling mode on an LNAV,
instead of reading the manual from the CAI site. In fact, an
intelligent answer from a person is usually faster and more to the
point than on-line help or the manual. It's easy to see why Dr. Jack
might not have the time to answer any or all questions, but RAS is a
different story. Probably, no one gave a serious answer, because no
one had seriously checked the winds BlipMap. However, 99% know that
winds are "from", and are thus equipped to post useless, smart-ass
replies. It is comforting to note that so few actually did!

Dr. Jack has had a constructive reaction in the past to anyone who
actually compares BlipMap outputs to the real world or to other
weather data sources. See these quotes from his website below.

Jonathan Gere

From the Dr. Jack Forum:
After more days of work than I had hoped I finally got things sorted
out and am now running a corrected program with the BLIPMAP cloud
predictions turned on. Bob Gibbons deserves kudos for having both the
initiative to critically evaluate the "Cumulus Cloudbase" prediction
and the knowledge to compare it to the simple surface-humidity LCL
condensation formula. Thanks, Bob.

The short story is that in the Sfc-umidity LCL calculation I found one
logic error and one place where I had used virtual temperature instead
of "actual" temperature (shame on me). While I am using an "exact"
calculation of the "Surface-humidity LCL", that is because I am a
persnickety scientist - it turns out the "approximate"
Surface-humidity LCL formula should generally agree with the "exact"
formula by within 5%, which is certainly adequate given the overall
error associated with cloud predictions....

-----

I only look at the webpages and maps that I use personally or that I
suspect might contain an error. If you notice a consistent problem
with either, please let me know.

-----
Old October 5th 03, 05:37 AM
Tom Seim

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

YOU HAVE SCORED A PERFECT 10 ON MY JERK-O-METER!!!

For complaining about an extraordinary service provided at no cost by the user.

Interesting wind experience Roger Long Piloting 3 November 15th 04 05:34 PM
Two non-aviation questions Ramapriya Piloting 12 November 10th 04 12:51 AM
Crosswind components James L. Freeman Piloting 25 February 29th 04 01:21 AM
Weathervaning Koopas Ly Piloting 50 November 15th 03 07:56 AM
Kestral 1000 Wind Speed Meter NEW IN BOX Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 November 7th 03 06:56 PM