Eta crashed

Old October 2nd 03, 02:20 PM
Erich Kohlenberger

Default Eta crashed

Hi!

Eta had an inflight fuselage breakage during spin tests.
More (in german) on
http://www.mainpost.de/mainfranken/m...t/6048,2371565.
html?fCMS=de3beaa38036aaaf2051952ede286a6c

bye
Erich Kohlenberger

Old October 2nd 03, 03:46 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Here's a link to an AltaVista Babel Fish German-to-English
translation:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...l=http%3A%2F%2
Fwww.mainpost.de%2Fmainfranken%2Fmellrichstadt%2Fm ellrichstadt%2F6
048%2C2371565.html%3FfCMS%3Dde3beaa38036aaaf205195 2ede286a6c&lp=de
_en&tt=url

[must be all on one line]

Yes, it reads sort of funny, but you can get the gist
of it: The aft fuselage broke during a spin recovery
tests towards type certification. Two people on board,
both parachuted safely and later helped recover the
aircraft.

Bob K.

Old October 2nd 03, 03:59 PM
Stefan

Erich Kohlenberger wrote:

Eta had an inflight fuselage breakage during spin tests.

So it didn't "crash", but broke up during a test flight, not the same in
my opinion. (You should have become a journalist!) Still far from
perfect, though.

Stefan
Old October 2nd 03, 04:19 PM
Robert John

At 15:06 02 October 2003, Stefan wrote:
Erich Kohlenberger wrote:

Eta had an inflight fuselage breakage during spin
tests.

So it didn't 'crash', but broke up during a test flight,
not the same in
my opinion. (You should have become a journalist!)
Still far from
perfect, though.

Stefan

Big pile of bits all over the ground - I'd call that
a 'crash' not a 'landing' :-) Rob

Old October 2nd 03, 05:13 PM
Stewart Kissel

From Websters Dictionary online:
Main Entry: 1crash
Pronunciation: 'krash
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English crasschen

Old October 2nd 03, 05:14 PM
Vaughn Simon

"Stefan" wrote in message
Erich Kohlenberger wrote:

Eta had an inflight fuselage breakage during spin tests.

So it didn't "crash", but broke up during a test flight, not the same in
my opinion.

Boy! Talk about "spin", Erich should be working for the government.
There is a distinction here that I fail to get. From what little
information we have, it apparently broke up in flight, the occupants bailed
out, and then gravity took its natural course until the failed airframe
(crashed, fell, bumped, decellerated, sprinkled, oopsied) into/onto the
surface of the earth. Help me with the finer points of English please; how
is this not a crash?

(You should have become a journalist!) Still far from
perfect, though.

Yes; much less than perfect. We all lose a bit when this stuff happens
and I wish these people the very best.

Vaughn

Stefan

Old October 2nd 03, 05:18 PM
Vaughn Simon

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Stefan" wrote in message

..

Boy! Talk about "spin", Erich should be...

Sorry, got the name wrong, should have been "Stefan".

Vaughn

Old October 2nd 03, 05:47 PM
Bob Johnson

Enough already, I thought the acid test was a landing that one walks
away from, and these intrepid airmen did this, I gather, hand in hand.
Sounds like a hard landing to me.

BJ

From Websters Dictionary online:

Old October 2nd 03, 06:05 PM
303pilot

It didn't crash, it made a landing with less than optimal amounts of control
input/response.

FWIW, I'm with Stephan, if I see "crash" I assume that someone was at the
controls when the integration of the aircraft components became suboptimal
for future use.

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
From Websters Dictionary online:

Old October 2nd 03, 06:43 PM
Stewart Kissel

Okay, we can call any sort of "event" we choose. According to articles I=
have read, the things cost more the $1 million US to build. Will the ma=
nufacturer be able to absorb this sort of hit?