airworthiness certificate

Old February 5th 17, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Jensen

Default airworthiness certificate

I am shopping for a glider. Today I looked at a 304 That is in very good shape, current on its annual. The type is experimental. The certificate in the cockpit stipulates that the glider is to be operated from a single airfield. Is this normal? Will faa hassle me were I to purchase and register it and wish to fly out of a different field? Do airworthiness certificates typically specify that an aircraft only fly out of one location?

Many thanks for any enlightenment.
Old February 5th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You'll need to submit a Program Letter to your local FSDO. This letter
will describe the ship, list its home field (your base of operations),
the types of flights planned, i.e., "fly at the Seniors Competition", 30
practice flights of 4 hours duration to maintain currency, etc. You can
work out with your FSDO representative what is required in your letter.
You'll have to submit a new letter each year. It's not a big deal.

Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of letter which
worked for my experimental glider.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 5th 17, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

No need to send your email - I emailed you a copy of a previous Program
Letter to update to your needs should you buy the glider.

Old February 5th 17, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Jensen

Many thanks Dan. I was little bit concerned over whether I could take the glider somewhere on an occasional basis (e.g., Parowan). You've set my mind at ease.

Del

Old February 5th 17, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 8:18:00 PM UTC-8, Del Jensen wrote:
Many thanks Dan. I was little bit concerned over whether I could take the glider somewhere on an occasional basis (e.g., Parowan). You've set my mind at ease.

Del

I am pretty sure a program letter won't override any limitations in the airworthiness certificate. You need a new airworthiness certificate. But I could be wrong . . .
Old February 5th 17, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 9:01:45 PM UTC-5, Del Jensen wrote:
I am shopping for a glider. Today I looked at a 304 That is in very good shape, current on its annual. The type is experimental. The certificate in the cockpit stipulates that the glider is to be operated from a single airfield. Is this normal? Will faa hassle me were I to purchase and register it and wish to fly out of a different field? Do airworthiness certificates typically specify that an aircraft only fly out of one location?

Many thanks for any enlightenment.

Assuming it is licensed Experimental- Exhibition and Air Racing you should be able to get your local FSDO to provide new operating limitations that conform to the latest standards. Operating limitations are a prt of the airworthiness certificate. Current standards allow for operating at sites other than home base as long as they are on your annual program letter.
UH

Old February 7th 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 12:01:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 8:18:00 PM UTC-8, Del Jensen wrote:
Many thanks Dan. I was little bit concerned over whether I could take the glider somewhere on an occasional basis (e.g., Parowan). You've set my mind at ease.

Del

I am pretty sure a program letter won't override any limitations in the airworthiness certificate. You need a new airworthiness certificate. But I could be wrong . . .

You are right that the program letter does not override limitations in the AW certificate and associated docs.
Whether a new AW certificate is needed depends on what the old one says.
If it is very old you may not have to do a program letter and can fly most anywhere. After the California jet fighter crash the Feds tightened up a lot.
Old February 8th 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Jensen

Thanks for the heads up on that. Do you know of a link or reference to the guide document?

Del

Old February 8th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

A specific place is required for phase one testing.