Smart Phone Software

Old December 14th 18, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Smart Phone Software

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 3:21:33 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Give LK8000 a peek. Beats XCSoar and TopHat.

I really have been impressed by Paulo's guidance of this UI. Unfortunately it is very touch oriented. I prefer to use a remote controller mounted on my control stick. The LK8000 is a little clunky in that configuration.

Therefore I use XCSoar, which works well with other control inputs besides touch.

MB
Old December 14th 18, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ouroboros

Funny you should say that. I just started building a Bluetooth controller to use with LK8000 next season. What kind of controller do you use with XCSoar?
Old December 14th 18, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Van de Velde

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 5:39:25 PM UTC-8, Ouroboros wrote:
Funny you should say that. I just started building a Bluetooth controller to use with LK8000 next season. What kind of controller do you use with XCSoar?

XCSoar uses whatever controller is provided by the OS (Android, Linux, ...)
Old December 14th 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

XCSoar uses whatever controller is provided by the OS (Android, Linux, ...)

True, however there are many external controllers that can be interfaced to the OS you mention. Many of the Android devices can support OTG devices like mice and keyboards as well as Bluetooth devices. I've used just about all those combinations.

I currently have XCSoar running on an OperVario system. I can plug in a mouse, keyboard, or a custom controller that I can mount on my control column. I have the latter.

MB

Old December 15th 18, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Please explain?
Old December 15th 18, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 8:46:09 AM UTC-8, 6PK wrote:
Please explain?

The OpenVario is available as a kit from Stefan Langer:

https://www.stefly.aero/

His site also explains the controller possibilities. This particular version of XCSoar is running on a Linux based CubieBoard 2.

When I was running on an Android tablet I used a Bluetooth mouse to interact with the program, but a keyboard would work too.

You can check out the whole OpenVario project he

http://openvario.org/doku.php

There are still several individuals doing development, but not at the pace it used to be.

MB