longe check rides

Old May 2nd 05, 05:04 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default longe check rides

The last couple students I've sent for checkrides have taken about 6
hours. This is with two different examiners. Both did excellent on the
oral. Is this something the FSDOs are telling the examiners. Are
private checkrides just getting longer? I took my private in the mid
90's and my oral was only about 15 minutes.

-Robert, CFI

Old May 2nd 05, 05:14 AM

Robert, the entire process for my private checkride (last spring) took
about 2 1/2 hours, with the oral being about 1 hour of that. The DE I
flew with is based at the airport at which I took my lessons and knew a
lot about my flying though. Maybe that helped with the time.

I'm jealous about your 15 minutes, but definitely not jealous about
your students' 6 hours! yikes.

Kay
email: remove "ns" from aviationns

Old May 2nd 05, 05:38 AM
BTIZ

I've found that check ride orals.. for glider ratings.. tend to run about 2
hours.. from start of paperwork check too.. lets go flying... the flying
part takes about 1 hr.. from preflight to tie down and includes at least 3
flights..

My instrument oral was 5 hours.. plus about 2/.5hrs of flying..

BT

oups.com...

Old May 2nd 05, 06:27 AM
Jay Beckman

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
The last couple students I've sent for checkrides have taken about 6
hours. This is with two different examiners. Both did excellent on the
oral. Is this something the FSDOs are telling the examiners. Are
private checkrides just getting longer? I took my private in the mid
90's and my oral was only about 15 minutes.

-Robert, CFI

Robert,

Just as another point of reference, my PP-ASEL oral exam lasted approx 2 -
2.5 hours followed by 1.7hrs of flight time.

Regards,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old May 2nd 05, 12:25 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jay Beckman wrote:
Just as another point of reference, my PP-ASEL oral exam lasted approx 2 -
2.5 hours followed by 1.7hrs of flight time.

I looked back through my log books and found my private was 1.2 hours,
instrument was 1.8 hours, and commercial was 1.3 hours. I don't have any
notation indicating how long the orals were but they were probably similar; I
don't remember them being all that long... certainly not what the original
poster had mentioned.

What's driving me nuts is I lost a whole logbook; the one with my multiengine
rating and entire Part 135 career, such as it was. There is no way in hell I
threw it out just because I had stopped flying. I've looked everywhere...
except where it is, I guess. The first one has about 1150 hours in it and the
new one has about 3. The middle one has about 1500 hours in it, including about
700 of multi time. I'd pull out my hair if it hadn't already fallen out.

The FAA has the numbers on my successive flight physicals (I hope).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 2nd 05, 01:25 PM
Cecil Chapman

Seems awfully long to me.... When I first read the initial part of your
post, I was sure you were referring to CFI candidates.... Six hours is WAY
too long, IMHO.

My private checkride was about two hours and some change.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old May 2nd 05, 03:23 PM
Michael

The last couple students I've sent for checkrides have taken about 6
hours. This is with two different examiners....
Is this something the FSDOs are telling the examiners.

Yes, at least in my home FSDO. The FAA is starting to micromanage
examiners to the point where they are being told minimum times required
to do certain kinds of checkrides. Different examiners handle this
differently.

I know at least one who simply ignores the FAA guidance and takes as
long as he feels is necessary. Then he tells the student how long the
exam officially took in case anyone asks.

I know another who spends much of the oral telling stories and bad
jokes. The stories are often educational. The jokes are just bad.

And then there are the ones who actually take the FSDO seriously and
stretch out the oral. It's a pointless exercise, but it's what the
FSDO wants.

Michael

Old May 2nd 05, 04:18 PM
Scott Migaldi

My private check ride was 1.5 hours with the oral also lasting 1.5hrs
Instrument was 2 hrs oral and 2 hour flight
Commercial was 1 hour oral and 1.3 hour flight, the commercial was just
last week so it sounds mor elike an examiner issue to me.

--------------------
Old May 2nd 05, 05:16 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
And then there are the ones who actually take the FSDO seriously and
stretch out the oral. It's a pointless exercise, but it's what the
FSDO wants.

Michael

I don't know if it is always pointless. On my ATP oral, I learned a few
things from the examiner that will prove useful in the future. In the case
I am thinking about, I gave the correct "book" answer and he pointed out a
better way.

Back to the original question, in general the oral portion's length is
related to how good or bad your performance is. If you got 71% on the
written you can expect a longer oral, particularly if your performance on
the initial oral questions is weak. Similiarly, if the examiner sees a
sloppy approach, he is likely to want to see more flying than if everything
went perfectly.

Mike
MU-2

Old May 2nd 05, 05:44 PM
Robert M. Gary

My student has a 97% on his written. The examiner told me he had one of
the best oral exams he's ever seen. He was very impressed with his
knowledge. Perhaps I'll call up the examiner and just straight up ask
him why they are taking so long.

-Robert

Check Valve Repair? Larry Home Built 1 April 15th 05 06:32 AM
Changes in Instrument Proficiency Check Requirements Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 71 June 10th 04 08:02 PM
Use of hand-held GPS on FAA check ride Barry Rotorcraft 1 August 30th 03 01:24 AM
Use of hand-held GPS on FAA check ride Barry Piloting 3 August 9th 03 10:14 PM
Use of hand-held GPS on FAA check ride Barry Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 09:25 PM