anyone ever met Burt Rutan?

Old May 4th 05, 04:17 AM
jim

Default anyone ever met Burt Rutan?

Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into space.
He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is that laided
back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer space, is he a
dick or a cool dude?

Old May 4th 05, 04:34 AM
George Patterson

jim wrote:
Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into space.
He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is that laided
back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer space, is he a
dick or a cool dude?

Depends -- don't let him start talking if there's any indication that there are
people in the audience who objected to the Vietnam War. Other than that, I
listened to him speak to a small group at the Oshkosh museum. Pretty cool guy.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 4th 05, 04:41 AM
Montblack

("jim" wrote)
Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into
space. He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is that
laided back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer space,
is he a dick or a cool dude?

A: Dick is Burt's brother. Dick flew the Voyager around the world,
non-stop, with Jeana Yeager.

Richard "Dick" Rutan was born in Loma Linda, California, on July 1, 1938. An
eager individual, Rutan earned both his pilot's and driver's licenses on his
16th birthday. At the age of 19 he joined the Air Force Aviation Cadet
Program and was later commissioned a lieutenant in the Air Force. He flew
325 missions over Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War until September
1968, when his F-100 plane sustained a hit from enemy fire and he had to
eject from his aircraft. He evaded capture and was rescued by American
forces. Due to his exemplary military record, Rutan received the Silver
Star, five Distinguished Flying Crosses, 16 Air Medals, and a Purple Heart.

B: I will meet Burt Rutan in 3 weeks - I'll let you know if he is a cool
dude.

C: For the tough jobs, they always call in the minivans!!
http://tinyurl.com/7qa9s
http://tinyurl.com/cpegd

Montblack

Old May 4th 05, 06:08 AM
BTIZ

just a quick introduction when I was touring the Voyager at his place in
Mojave after the round the world trip.. he was busy but did stop to say
hello... must have been my AF Flight suit with B-1 patches..

BT

Old May 4th 05, 07:55 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

C: For the tough jobs, they always call in the minivans!!

http://tinyurl.com/cpegd

Man, that is one good looking hunk, in that orange hat! g
--
Jim in NC
Old May 4th 05, 12:34 PM
Ron Natalie

jim wrote:
Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into space.
He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is that laided
back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer space, is he a
dick or a cool dude?

I got to ride around on a golf cart with him when he came to Margy's
museum. He seemed pretty cool to me. Very gracious to the museum
staff and the hoards of aviation groupies that wanted to meet him.
Old May 4th 05, 12:36 PM
Ron Natalie

George Patterson wrote:

Depends -- don't let him start talking if there's any indication that
there are people in the audience who objected to the Vietnam War.

He's certainly not afraid to express his opinions. He has rather harsh
words about NASA (which he pronounced "NAY-SAY" during the talk I attended).
Old May 4th 05, 02:59 PM
Jay Honeck

Man, that is one good looking hunk, in that orange hat! g

Yeah, he's showing off his better side....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 4th 05, 06:17 PM
jim

"Montblack" wrote in message

is he a dick or a cool dude?

A: Dick is Burt's brother. Dick flew the Voyager around the world,
non-stop, with Jeana Yeager.

Haha I forgot he had a brother named Dick.

Old May 4th 05, 06:32 PM
John Ousterhout

jim wrote:
Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into space.
He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is that laided
back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer space, is he a
dick or a cool dude?

I talked to Burt for two minutes once at Oshkosh. He was polite and
patient answering my stupid questions. I also talked to Dick Ruton
once. Likewise.

Mike Melville was a treat to talk to last summer. He seems just like
one of us.

- John Ousterhout -