Reno Newspaper Defends Reporting on Glider Accident

Old August 31st 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoarPoint

Default Reno Newspaper Defends Reporting on Glider Accident

RENO NEWSPAPER DEFENDS REPORTING ON GLIDER ACCIDENT

August 30, 2006

Reno, Nevada: A spokesperson at the Reno Daily Review & Journal
Dispatch defended charges of plagiarism today, arguing that material
gathered by one of that city's most respected newspapers was in the
public domain and thus did not necessarily require attribution.

Said a senior editor, "Our reporters leave no stone unturned when
investigating a major story like the recent glider and jet collision.
When facts are made clear based on authoritative sources in the
aviation community, we are under no obligation to waste time and money
reverifying the same facts twelve times over, or seeking to determine
which expert first made a statement on which all seem to agree."

A reporter for that newspaper elaborated. "Used to, we hadda go out and
shoot photos, find witnesses, interview people involved--IF we could
find them and IF they would talk to us. But with the Internet, it's
simple. Just find the right newsgroup or blog and everything you could
possibly wanna know is already there--within a few hours. Like this
glider thing yesterday. Who woulda thought to ask about this gizmo the
glider guy was supposed to be using: a transporter or tricorder or
something? Some guy on the Web said he mighta turned it off. But what
do I know? I just lift what the experts say and it goes right into the
article. That's not plagiarism, that's just good journalism. In the old
days, the pilot woulda lawyered out and everyone woulda been No
Comment. Now his buddies on rec.aviation.soaring tell us everything we
wanna know and then some. Some o' these folks just talk and talk and
talk. So why kill yourself tryin' to get an interview? With a PC and
the Internet, gettin' facts and quotes is like shootin' fish in a
barrel. Speakin' o' which, I got enough stuff off the glider guys in
two hours today for the next three articles. So I'm goin' fishin'."

Spokespersons at the paper refused comment on a rumored practice
referred to as "chumming"; i.e., news outlets firing off quick or
controversial headlines in the hopes of generating buzz on the Internet
and further information that could be spun into subsequent articles.

SoarPoint
;o)

Old August 31st 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_2_]

"SoarPoint" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

The greatest weapon USA military ever released to the world the Internet.

Old August 31st 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mal wrote:
"SoarPoint" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Why don't you keep your anti-American comments to yourself? Looking at
any of your past and present posts, a grade school might lighten you
up, based on your grammar and vocabulary, and then all the events
involving the US might, and I repeat just might make a bit of sense to
you. I can believe that anyone would issue a moron like you a pilot
license.

Jacek

Washington State

Old August 31st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SoarPoint wrote:
[...]

That's just too dam funny! Nice going. Before media types are born,
tey are asked, "what's it going to be kid, brains or a blow dryer?

Billy Hill, Zulu

Old August 31st 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Earlier, wrote:

Mal wrote:

The greatest weapon USA military ever released to the world the Internet.

Why don't you keep your anti-American comments to yourself?...

I dunno; I happen to agree with Mal that the ARPA/DARPA Internet _is_
one of the greatest weapons the US Military ever released. And, I don't
particulary see anything un-American about that statement.

As a weapon for freedom of thought and expression, as a weapon against
misinformation and disinformation, the Internet is unparalleled, and on
occasion its military creators probably regret the hell out of letting
everyone in the world get their hands on it. As John Gilmore wrote,
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."

Bob K.

Bob,

With all do respect: internet was not invented by the US military. Not
even close. Internet was developed by Englishman named Tim Berners-Lee,
who I believe lives in London. He was even knighted by the Queen so, he
is Sir Tim Berners-Lee. But this guy Mal is insinuating that the US
military "released" the internet and if you buy to his story I don't
know what to think of it. He is using every time he can, something
against us. Every time. Don't take my word for it. Just look at his
you can read his uneducated, arrogant postings referring in derogatory
terms to the US. So, in conclusion his referral to the US military as
to " The greatest weapon USA military ever released to the world the
Internet." is aimed that us again and it is a cheap shot.

Sincerely,

Jacek

Old August 31st 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TTaylor at cc.usu.edu

wrote:
Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Earlier,
wrote:

With all do respect: internet was not invented by the US military. Not
even close. Internet was developed by Englishman named Tim Berners-Lee,
who I believe lives in London. He was even knighted by the Queen so, he
is Sir Tim Berners-Lee. But this guy Mal is insinuating that the US
military "released" the internet and if you buy to his story I don't
know what to think of it. He is using every time he can, something
against us. Every time. Don't take my word for it. Just look at his
you can read his uneducated, arrogant postings referring in derogatory
terms to the US. So, in conclusion his referral to the US military as
to " The greatest weapon USA military ever released to the world the
Internet." is aimed that us again and it is a cheap shot.

Sincerely,

Jacek

The US does enough damage to itself to worry about what someone else
says. Get over it. We have become the laughing stock of the world
because of our current leadership.

If you wish to run around defending the country (more specifically the
idiot in charge right now) you will spend your all your time doing it
at the rate the President and his henchman/women are going.

Old August 31st 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

wrote:
With all do respect: internet was not invented by the US military. Not
even close. Internet was developed by Englishman named Tim Berners-Lee,
who I believe lives in London. He was even knighted by the Queen so, he
is Sir Tim Berners-Lee. But this guy Mal is insinuating that the US
military "released" the internet and if you buy to his story I don't
know what to think of it. He is using every time he can, something
against us. Every time. Don't take my word for it. Just look at his
you can read his uneducated, arrogant postings referring in derogatory
terms to the US. So, in conclusion his referral to the US military as
to " The greatest weapon USA military ever released to the world the
Internet." is aimed that us again and it is a cheap shot.

Uh, don't confuse the "World Wide Web" (i.e. web browsers and servers)
with the "Internet". The Internet (along with email, and Usenet, on
which we were having this discussion) existed long before there was any
such thing as web browsers. And, you are completely wrong another
thing, the Internet had as its founding core ARPAnet (ARPA being the US
Department of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is now
known as DARPA) a US military project started in the late 60s. I
developed networking and communications equipment for ARPAnet during the
mid 70s, and I can assure you, I spent an awful lot of time at military
bases and DOD contractor sites, as well as universities...

Marc

Old August 31st 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Warbrick

At 17:48 31 August 2006,
wrote:

Bob,

With all do respect: internet was not invented by the
US military. Not
even close. Internet was developed by Englishman named
Tim Berners-Lee,
who I believe lives in London. He was even knighted
by the Queen so, he
is Sir Tim Berners-Lee. But this guy Mal is insinuating
that the US
military 'released' the internet and if you buy to
his story I don't
know what to think of it. He is using every time he
can, something
against us. Every time. Don't take my word for it.
Just look at his
in it and then
you can read his uneducated, arrogant postings referring
in derogatory
terms to the US. So, in conclusion his referral to
the US military as
to ' The greatest weapon USA military ever released
to the world the
Internet.' is aimed that us again and it is a cheap
shot.

Sincerely,

Jacek

Jacek,

With all DUE respect. The internet is a direct descendent
of the ARPANET created in the early 1970's by the US
'advanced research projects agency', later the 'defence
advanced research projects agency'.

Tim Berners Lee created the HTML document format (web
page format) and HTTP the transport protocol which
allows selection of files from web servers by URL and
carries the data for those files. Between them this
is what people call the World Wide Web. The Internet
was in existence nearly twenty years before the world
wide web and it was started by the US military. I believe
it was initially extended to US universities.

In summary Mal might have intended it as a 'cheap'
shot. But it was still the truth.

Old August 31st 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Andrew Warbrick wrote:
At 17:48 31 August 2006,
wrote:

[...]

To All,

I received a several emails with a clarification for which I thank you.
I was angry at the Mal character, and still am, and in the moment of
spite I typed something which I remembered from the past without
actually finding some more information about the subject. So, I
apologize for my mistake, but not to Mal for he is taking a cheap shots
in the present as well as in the past.

Sincerely,

Jacek
Washington State

Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Real stats on engine failures? Captain Wubba Piloting 127 December 8th 03 04:09 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM