Best performing Vario?

Old September 22nd 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Default Best performing Vario?

In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?
Old September 22nd 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

ClearNav CNv hands down. Work in progress but better than the 302 right now.. Low on flashy displays big on the useful bits.

John Seaborn A8
Old September 22nd 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Sep 22, 3:35*pm, wrote:
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

ClearNav CNv hands down. Work in progress but better than the 302 right now. Low on flashy displays big on the useful bits.

John Seaborn A8

I second the opinion. Fast, smooth, accurate. And the 302 I found to
be slightly better than the (very good) SN10. Legacy cambridge (s nav,
m nav, l nav) were nowhere near as good. Those are from the 1980s and
were great in their time, but that was a while ago.

No mechanical vario should be on this list no matter how good. You
need to look out the window not stare at a vario.

John Cochrane
Old September 22nd 12, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Of the older varios I loved the Borgelt B50. Borgelt was a great vario for the time. Not sure what happened that they didn't make the transition over the last few years to the modern systems. B50 is still one of the best values for a low cost panel, about $500 to $600 and a PDA/PNA and it will work nearly as we'll as the new systems.

The ClearNav, V7 and Butterfly are all very impressive. The 302 is a good system (vario, altimeter, computer and logger in one) and could be even better with a software update.
Old September 22nd 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?

My new ClearNav Vario is magic (even in its incomplete version). Still waiting for the software to be completed and integrated with the ClearNav display. ICG approval is also "still coming".

-Jim
Old September 22nd 12, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

ILEC SB9 electric vario, (but they don't make them anymore)

Bohli vario - not sure if they are still made, but the last time I looked they were rather pricey.

LX Nav V5 or V7 vario

Old September 22nd 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Tim,

I really liked my B-50; however, it didn't go to Logan with the HP-14. All
the HP-14 instruments went to Moses Lake and will be installed in a Jantar.

Wayne

Old September 23rd 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

I loved the LNav and think it hard to beat when tuned right.
I have the new ClearNav vario and it is even better.
UH
Old September 23rd 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:58:22 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote: In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

I loved the LNav and think it hard to beat when tuned right. I have the new ClearNav vario and it is even better. UH

Old September 23rd 12, 01:30 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig R. View Post
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?
You mean there is a vario that can get me centered in and on the top of a thermal? I'll take two and if it can find the thermal for me in the first place I'll take three.

Walt