A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best performing Vario?

Old September 22nd 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.
external usenet poster

Default Best performing Vario?

In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?
Old September 22nd 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

ClearNav CNv hands down. Work in progress but better than the 302 right now.. Low on flashy displays big on the useful bits.

John Seaborn A8
Old September 22nd 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Sep 22, 3:35*pm, wrote:
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

ClearNav CNv hands down. Work in progress but better than the 302 right now. Low on flashy displays big on the useful bits.

John Seaborn A8

I second the opinion. Fast, smooth, accurate. And the 302 I found to
be slightly better than the (very good) SN10. Legacy cambridge (s nav,
m nav, l nav) were nowhere near as good. Those are from the 1980s and
were great in their time, but that was a while ago.

No mechanical vario should be on this list no matter how good. You
need to look out the window not stare at a vario.

John Cochrane
Old September 22nd 12, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Of the older varios I loved the Borgelt B50. Borgelt was a great vario for the time. Not sure what happened that they didn't make the transition over the last few years to the modern systems. B50 is still one of the best values for a low cost panel, about $500 to $600 and a PDA/PNA and it will work nearly as we'll as the new systems.

The ClearNav, V7 and Butterfly are all very impressive. The 302 is a good system (vario, altimeter, computer and logger in one) and could be even better with a software update.
Old September 22nd 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

My new ClearNav Vario is magic (even in its incomplete version). Still waiting for the software to be completed and integrated with the ClearNav display. ICG approval is also "still coming".

-Jim
Old September 22nd 12, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

ILEC SB9 electric vario, (but they don't make them anymore)

Bohli vario - not sure if they are still made, but the last time I looked they were rather pricey.

LX Nav V5 or V7 vario

Old September 22nd 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul
external usenet poster

Tim,

I really liked my B-50; however, it didn't go to Logan with the HP-14. All
the HP-14 instruments went to Moses Lake and will be installed in a Jantar.

Wayne

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

Of the older varios I loved the Borgelt B50. Borgelt was a great vario for
the time. Not sure what happened that they didn't make the transition over
the last few years to the modern systems. B50 is still one of the best
values for a low cost panel, about $500 to $600 and a PDA/PNA and it will
work nearly as we'll as the new systems.

The ClearNav, V7 and Butterfly are all very impressive. The 302 is a good
system (vario, altimeter, computer and logger in one) and could be even
better with a software update.

Old September 23rd 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:

I loved the LNav and think it hard to beat when tuned right.
I have the new ClearNav vario and it is even better.
UH
Old September 23rd 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:58:22 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote: In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

I loved the LNav and think it hard to beat when tuned right. I have the new ClearNav vario and it is even better. UH

Old September 23rd 12, 01:30 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig R. View Post

You mean there is a vario that can get me centered in and on the top of a thermal? I'll take two and if it can find the thermal for me in the first place I'll take three.

Walt