Parachute Comfort

Old March 27th 13, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

Default Parachute Comfort

Given that I've got another 15-20 years of flying left, I was thinking of getting a new parachute since my current one won't last that long anyway and I might as well replace it and get a more comfortable one. ;-)

Of those sold by Strong, National, and Para-Phernalia, it appears that they are all perfectly functional, leaving the issue of comfort in the cockpit.

Other than the various models to pick from that fit your glider/body combination, is anyone knowledgeable about the comfort of the straps, strap pads, cushions, and general flexibility to help me decide which manufacturer parachute to buy?

Thanks
Old March 27th 13, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Old March 27th 13, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/27/2013 12:48 PM, AGL wrote:
Given that I've got another 15-20 years of flying left, I was
thinking of getting a new parachute since my current one won't last
that long anyway and I might as well replace it and get a more
comfortable one. ;-)

Of those sold by Strong, National, and Para-Phernalia, it appears
that they are all perfectly functional, leaving the issue of comfort
in the cockpit.

Other than the various models to pick from that fit your glider/body
combination, is anyone knowledgeable about the comfort of the straps,
strap pads, cushions, and general flexibility to help me decide which
manufacturer parachute to buy?

I have a Para-Phernalia I like very much. I have the "aerobatic"
harness, so the metal clips are up higher near chest and don't dig into
my hips like the lower clips tend to. I also like the cloth "sweat pad"
that snaps between the pilot and pack. It's more comfortable, and can be
unsnapped for washing (once year works for me).

email me)
Old March 27th 13, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO

Assuming you fly in a club or cohorting with other glider guiders, best thing to do is test-sit the different rigs they have, in your particular glider.

Mine was made for powered acro pilots. It was very comfortable in my previous glider, but I have issues with it in my current ship.

2NO
Old March 28th 13, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

As Ted points out, besides personal preference much depends on the seat you'll be in. At one point I had a Mini Softie for Schleicher or LS and a National for Schempp-Hirth.
Wonder if the new narrow Softie container fits in S-H?
Jim
Old March 28th 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:19:57 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
As Ted points out, besides personal preference much depends on the seat you'll be in. At one point I had a Mini Softie for Schleicher or LS and a National for Schempp-Hirth.

Wonder if the new narrow Softie container fits in S-H?

Jim

The BRS is the most comfortable chute I have ever worn.............and I really like the 6 year repack cycle.
:) JJ
Old March 28th 13, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom K (ES)

JJ, how is the BRS mounted and on what kind of glider? My concern with a airframe mounted system would be a mid-air collision where the piece of the aircraft that is connected to the chute is not the one I am sitting in.

Thanks,

Tom
Old March 28th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

On Wednesday, 27 March 2013 20:19:57 UTC-4, JS wrote:
At one point I had a Mini Softie for Schleicher or LS and a National for Schempp-Hirth.
Jim

IF a plane's seat is comfortable without a parachute, a constant thickness rectangular container 24 long and 15"-16" wide like the National "Flat" or the Strong 303 should merely move one forward that thickness, leaving about the same comfort. It's about the size of a person's back, so it ought to fit anywhere a person's back fits. True?

Everyone's plane is buried in snow these days, so it's hard to do trial fits. :-(

Old March 28th 13, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

"IF a plane's seat is comfortable without a parachute, a constant thickness rectangular container 24 long and 15"-16" wide like the National "Flat" or the Strong 303 should merely move one forward that thickness, leaving about the same comfort. It's about the size of a person's back, so it ought to fit anywhere a person's back fits. True?"

I think that is true. I'm tall so I fly w/o a seat back and with my National Flat packed thicker at the top to put my head forward a little and to make the transition from chute to the memory foam I sit on less abrupt. As Craig has suggested your rigger can adjust things and I would make sure that is allowed in any chute you buy. Though I've never popped it I'm happy w/ the National.

Old March 28th 13, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:21:44 AM UTC-4, Clay wrote:
"IF a plane's seat is comfortable without a parachute, a constant thickness rectangular container 24 long and 15"-16" wide like the National "Flat" or the Strong 303 should merely move one forward that thickness, leaving about the same comfort. It's about the size of a person's back, so it ought to fit anywhere a person's back fits. True?"

I think that is true. I'm tall so I fly w/o a seat back and with my National Flat packed thicker at the top to put my head forward a little and to make the transition from chute to the memory foam I sit on less abrupt. As Craig has suggested your rigger can adjust things and I would make sure that is allowed in any chute you buy. Though I've never popped it I'm happy w/ the National.

Oops, I've been informed that National Flats can't be packed tapered if manufactured after 6/2009 so buyer beware