Wind(s)

Old January 23rd 05, 08:43 PM
Stan Prevost

Default Wind(s)

Why, in aviation-speak, do we so frequently refer to wind in the plural?

Stan, just curious

Old January 23rd 05, 10:00 PM
Icebound

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message
Why, in aviation-speak, do we so frequently refer to wind in the plural?

Stan, just curious

The singular refers to a single point... x, y, z, t....

The plural is usually used just aloft because once in flight, we are
interested in wind at *various* x, or various y, or various elevations, or
various times.... hence the plural.

The airport wind is *usually* singular, but because of wind variability with
time, we get used to using the plural there, also.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:29 PM
Bob Gardner

It's from King Lear: "Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks..." g

Bob Gardner

Old January 24th 05, 03:25 AM
Sam O'Nella

Stan Prevost wrote:
Why, in aviation-speak, do we so frequently refer to wind in the
plural?

"Winds" are the movements of air current.

"Wind" is what you do with your prop to get it spinning.

Old January 24th 05, 12:52 PM
gregg

Stan Prevost wrote:

Why, in aviation-speak, do we so frequently refer to wind in the plural?

Stan, just curious

Could it be a leftover from before the Age of Exploration when the charts of
the time showed the several "winds" blwoing from each direction?

West wind, North wind, Tramontanas (in the med) etc.?

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm