Wanted - Long EZ and Q2 plans

Old August 22nd 03, 09:12 PM
RobertR237

In article ,
(Corrie) writes:

Unless the family continues to re-register them (as I believe the
Pietenpols have done) Bower's plans will pass into the public domain
under US copyright law in April 2073. We'll all have flown west by
then, I suspect.

I can't wait and will start building promptly of the first of May, 2073.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old August 22nd 03, 09:25 PM
Ron Natalie

"Whatever" wrote in message ...

If the design is not protected against copying by IP laws,
the contract would have to specify not only that the
original purchaser can't build two, but that he can't sell
the plans. Does it include stuff like that? Anyone have
any actual language in e-format they can post?
Todd Pattist

OK. I have a set of drawings for the Dyke Delta JD2. I did
not buy these plans, they were handed to me after the
purchaser died. Since I have no contract with the designer,
are you saying that I am free to copy and sell as many
prints as I feel like?

It's not a contractural issue. Can you say COPYRIGHT? I knew
you could. Copyright forbids you from copying the plans without
permission of the owner. Copyright also prevents you from making
derivative works (that is, building an airplane from those plans) without
such permission as well. Lots of case law on this with regard to architectural
plans.

Old August 22nd 03, 09:27 PM
Keith Olivier

Rick

What you mention should be on the CD from Dick Rutan. I have a set of
"Long" plans, but no serial number and no templates. Effective as an
"assembly manual" though.

Have you guy's heard that Muhlbauer has a certified 3 blade constant speed
prop for "Longs" ? Apparently they ran the prop on a Swiss Long to achieve
the certification. It shortens both the takeoff and rollout dramatically,
which must be a pretty big factor in a mountainous country like Switzerland.
Meanwhile it's been around the world twice !! You can read about the plane,
the pilot and his round the world trip he
http://www.experimental.ch/SwissMade...ht/default.htm

Keith

"Rick Pellicciotti" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I have a set of E-Racer plans and I have flown the prototype with Shirl.

It
is an awesome airplane. I would not attempt to build an E-Racer without
having a copy of the Long-EZ plans around though. There are a lot of

little
details and how-to's on the Long-EZ plans that are directly applicable to
the E-Racer.

Rick

Old August 22nd 03, 09:46 PM
Corrie

"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message news:_yn1b.223504$Ho3.28382@sccrnsc03...
Excuse me for being stupid, but why keeps a person from selling a set of
plans they bought and built with?

Fred

Risk of bad karma.
Old August 23rd 03, 12:35 AM
RobertR237

In article , writes:

OK. I have a set of drawings for the Dyke Delta JD2. I did
not buy these plans, they were handed to me after the
purchaser died. Since I have no contract with the designer,
are you saying that I am free to copy and sell as many
prints as I feel like?

Scott McQ

I have a book that I bought second hand, do I have the right to publish the
book because I didn't buy it from the original publisher? NO, you don't

own
the rights to publish the boook or the plans, contract or no contract.

PS: I talked with John Dyke at Oshkosh a couple of weeks back and I suspect

he
would take a real dim view of your efforts as well.

Legally he could refer to the Delta plans and build his own airplane that
looks
exactly like a Delta in every way down to the last rivet, then write his own
plans about how to build an airplane just like his, so long as he didn't use
anything from the Delta plans. It wouldn't be an ethical thing to do, but it
would be legal.

Copyright doesn't protect an idea, it protects the expression of that idea
set
down in tangible form. It's a thin, blurry line.

When you finish that knock off plane you have just crossed the thin blurry line
since it is now in tangible form. Then again, that was not the question. The
question was would he be free to copy and sell the plans. The answer remains
NO.

Old August 25th 03, 02:33 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

Yes, that was my point. The CD's are invaluble while building any canard
pusher whether it is a Long or not. Interesting reading about the varible
pitch prop. The reason more of them have not been used on these planes is
the weight. You really cannot afford the extra weight of a normal constant
speed prop that far aft. Of course if you built the plane knowing you were
going to use a heavier prop you could compensate for it with battery
location and other changes.

Rick

Old August 25th 03, 04:39 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article , wrote:
In article , RobertR237 says...

In article , (Whatever)
writes:

[...]

*LEGALLY*, if he did what you describe, it would be considered a "derivative
work", and, as such, _would_ require permission from the original copyright
holder.

On the other hand, if it was done _without_ any use of Dyke's plans -- i.e.,
an "independent development" of the same idea, then there would -not- be a
copyright issue. *HOWEVER*, if it can be shown that the 'independent developer'
had *any* access to the original work, there _is_ a "presumption" that the
work _is_ derived from that original. The 'defendant' has to _prove_ that he
"did not use" any 'derived' information. With all the 'usual' difficulties in
'proving a negative'.

Copyright doesn't protect an idea, it protects the expression of that idea set
down in tangible form. It's a thin, blurry line.

Yup. And the swamp gets _especially_ deep when the concept of 'derivative work'
gets involved.

Old August 25th 03, 11:27 PM
RobertR237

In article , Todd Pattist
writes:

And "unethical" is certainly debatable. We have a large set
of intellectual property laws that protect "writings" like
the plans (via copyright) and devices, like the aircraft
(via design patents and utility patents, etc.). In order to
use those laws, you need to meet certain criteria. To get a
patent, you need to show that your invention is sufficiently
different from what's already out there that it's worthy. If
the design cannot meet that criteria, or the designer
decides not to make the public disclosure required to obtain
a patent, and no other IP law applies, then the law protects
those who want to copy.

Copying of improvements advances civilization and is
praiseworthy. Patent laws are not there to prevent copying.
They are there to encourage improvements that advance
civilization by granting a limited monopoly in exchange for
disclosure of the improvement to the public and
authorization to use the improvement after the limited
period of protection.
Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Said the thief as he held the gun to the bankers head.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

All I Wanted For Christmas Were Inverted Spins [email protected] Aerobatics 3 December 29th 04 07:40 PM
First Two Aero Lessons This Weekend (Long) David B. Cole Aerobatics 12 December 3rd 04 01:18 AM
Vans RV4 or RV6 wanted Joe Home Built 0 August 17th 03 01:02 PM
Free aircraft plans? Gil G. Home Built 0 July 23rd 03 04:18 PM
Murphy Rebel Wanted Joe Home Built 0 July 8th 03 06:21 AM