Radio - foul language

Old February 7th 04, 10:43 PM
M. J. Powell

Default Radio - foul language

Another newsgroup has got on to the subject of foul language in war
films, usually Army.
I mentioned that the radio language during the Battle of Britain was so
bad that High Command wanted to remove WAAFS from all rooms where the
radio transmissions could be heard.
This is not depicted in films about the air war or the sea war.
I assume it was the same in the USAAF and USN at that time?

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old February 8th 04, 03:45 AM
BUFDRVR

I assume it was the same in the USAAF and USN at that time?

Quite unsurprisingly, it occurs today, and even tends to offend some. During
Operation ANACONDA, I was given coords by an ETAC under fire. As part of our
procedures, my offense team plotted out the coords and they landed smack inside
a small town depicted on the JOG. Since I could hear some of the chaos and gun
fire in the back ground every time the ETAC keyed the mike, I felt bad asking
him, but ROE required me to verify he knew about the town. He responded; "the
target *is* the town, I'm taking heavy fire from it...level the f%$#ing town".
I came back with a quick "roger that", which was followed quickly by someone
saying "hey...watch the language on the radio". To this day I'm not sure who it
was, it could have been another jet this guy was controlling, it could have
been the ASOC or it could have been another ETAC trying to coordinate fire
control measures with "my" ETAC via UHF. It gave me a chuckle all the way home.
Hey...let's watch our language while we slaughter other human beings.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 8th 04, 07:57 AM
Guy Alcala

BUFDRVR wrote:

[...]

What I always find silly, is the use of spaces or #@%& to replace letters in
expletives. Does anyone not know what word the writer means? If you mean
"****ing," and everyone mentally translates the word that way, what is the point of
writing "f%$#ing"? To me, this procedure makes about as much sense as children
believing that no one can see them if they close their eyes.

Guy

P.S. Because I'm feeling ornery, I will now write George Carlin's "Seven dirty
words you can't say on television or radio," with no use of spaces, asterisks or
other symbols in place of the actual letters. Those of you who will suffer
irreparable harm from the mere sight of these words in their natural form, should
read no further. You have been warned):

****, ****, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er, and tits.

I'm curious, so let's take a poll --

1. Was anyone unaware of any of these words (and related or modified forms of
them), or their meaning, prior to my writing them above?

2. Would anyone be unaware of what word I was referring to, or fail to mentally
translate them into their actual form, if I were to replace some of the letters
with other symbols?

3. Has anyone reading this never heard these words used in conversation?

4. Has anyone here never used any of these words themselves?

Old February 8th 04, 08:38 AM
Dave Kearton

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
| BUFDRVR wrote:
|
| Guy
|
| P.S. Because I'm feeling ornery, I will now write George Carlin's "Seven
dirty
| words you can't say on television or radio," with no use of spaces,
asterisks or
| other symbols in place of the actual letters. Those of you who will
suffer
| irreparable harm from the mere sight of these words in their natural
form, should
| read no further. You have been warned):
|

| ****, ****, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er, and tits.
|
| I'm curious, so let's take a poll --
|
| 1. Was anyone unaware of any of these words (and related or modified
forms of
| them), or their meaning, prior to my writing them above?
|
| 2. Would anyone be unaware of what word I was referring to, or fail to
mentally
| translate them into their actual form, if I were to replace some of the
letters
| with other symbols?
|
| 3. Has anyone reading this never heard these words used in conversation?
|
| 4. Has anyone here never used any of these words themselves?

Point well made - however, just as some people would prefer not to hear such
words in conversation, possibly the same would not want to see them as
well. Veiling a word behind #$@% is tantamount to beeping out a
word on TV and now, putting an electronic patch to prevent the
tender-hearted from accidentally lipreading something offensive.

While I've done precisely as you describe, just recently, I tend to agree
with you. OTOH, part of polite discourse in the company of those of
whom you are not familiar, is not to use terms or language that will
reasonably offend anybody.

Same same with 'g_d', 'G_d' and 'god'. My Baptist roots go way
back; if you have to use his name in vain - at least spell it correctly.

stepping down from pulpit

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old February 8th 04, 10:12 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Dave Kearton wrote:

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
| BUFDRVR wrote:
|
| Guy
|
| P.S. Because I'm feeling ornery, I will now write George Carlin's "Seven
dirty
| words you can't say on television or radio," with no use of spaces,
asterisks or
| other symbols in place of the actual letters. Those of you who will
suffer
| irreparable harm from the mere sight of these words in their natural
form, should
| read no further. You have been warned):
|

| ****, ****, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er, and tits.
|
| I'm curious, so let's take a poll --
|
| 1. Was anyone unaware of any of these words (and related or modified
forms of
| them), or their meaning, prior to my writing them above?
|
| 2. Would anyone be unaware of what word I was referring to, or fail to
mentally
| translate them into their actual form, if I were to replace some of the
letters
| with other symbols?
|
| 3. Has anyone reading this never heard these words used in conversation?
|
| 4. Has anyone here never used any of these words themselves?

Point well made - however, just as some people would prefer not to hear such
words in conversation, possibly the same would not want to see them as
well. Veiling a word behind #$@% is tantamount to beeping out a
word on TV and now, putting an electronic patch to prevent the
tender-hearted from accidentally lipreading something offensive.

While I've done precisely as you describe, just recently, I tend to agree
with you. OTOH, part of polite discourse in the company of those of
whom you are not familiar, is not to use terms or language that will
reasonably offend anybody.

Same same with 'g_d', 'G_d' and 'god'. My Baptist roots go way
back; if you have to use his name in vain - at least spell it correctly.

stepping down from pulpit

Cheers

Dave Kearton

I always thought #$*& %#@& $#*&@ translated as "Friggin, fraggin,
riggin, raggin!" as expressed by some Looney Tunes character who, at
this time, I forget which one it was. Yosemite Sam maybe??

Old February 8th 04, 10:35 AM
S. Sampson

"Guy Alcala" wrote

I'm curious,

No you're not; regretably, you are an idiot. Stop wasting our time.

Old February 8th 04, 08:31 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Guy Alcala
writes
1. Was anyone unaware of any of these words (and related or modified forms of
them), or their meaning, prior to my writing them above?

2. Would anyone be unaware of what word I was referring to, or
fail to mentally
translate them into their actual form, if I were to replace some of the letters
with other symbols?

3. Has anyone reading this never heard these words used in conversation?

4. Has anyone here never used any of these words themselves?

"A four-letter word, a four-letter word
To ban it would be a shame
It's honest, it's earthy, it ought to be heard
That wonderful one-two-three-four letter word.

It shouldn't be said in polite company
When genteel old ladies are sipping their tea
But if those ladies' pasts were revealed - sure as hell
They've not only said it, they've done it as well!"

(arr. Billy Connolly)

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old February 9th 04, 08:47 AM
Guy Alcala

"S. Sampson" wrote:

"Guy Alcala" wrote

I'm curious,

No you're not; regretably, you are an idiot. Stop wasting our time.

If you feel that I'm wasting your time, then you are free to not read my
posts or put me in a kill file, just as I do with people I find not
worth the bandwidth. Presumably, you're not being forced to read and/or
reply.

Guy

Old February 9th 04, 08:52 AM
Guy Alcala

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

snip

I always thought #$*& %#@& $#*&@ translated as "Friggin, fraggin,
riggin, raggin!" as expressed by some Looney Tunes character who, at
this time, I forget which one it was. Yosemite Sam maybe??

That's my somewhat hazy memory, as well.

Guy

Old February 9th 04, 09:30 AM
Stuart Chapman

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..

What I always find silly, is the use of spaces or #@%& to replace letters

in
expletives. Does anyone not know what word the writer

I just can't figure out who has this email address......

Stupot