"You Might be a Crew Chief if..."

Old December 9th 03, 02:45 PM
David Hartung

"Pete" wrote in message

"David Hartung" wrote

I got about 20, and I was a weapons guy

So was I. When and where were you?

4. You've ever said "oh yes sir, it's supposed to look like that."

"Red 3, the aircrew needs to see you over at -509"
"rog...on the way"

{me}"yes sir? What is it?
{Major Dumbass, Sq Safety Officer}"This pylon is loose. [he grabs the

front
of the TER and gives it a shake. The whole Sta 3 wiggles a teeny bit.]

I take a look, and all seems to be in order. Bolts properly safety wired,

no
obvious damage or excessive loosesness
"Major...they are *all* like that."
"SARGE!! I have hundreds of hours flying these jets, and I've never seen

one
this loose!"

"Major..I have almost 15 years loading and installing these things, and, I
repeat, they are *all* like that. Design tolerances, designed-in 'give', I
don't know. But they do flex a little. This is installed as per the T.O."

"Nope...not good enough. I want this tightened up!"

[sigh]...."Ok, Major. Do you have about 15 mins before you need to engine
start?
"Yep..I want this tightened up"

"OK....Willie (my 3 man), go back to the shop, and get the bigass torque
wrench and the T.O."

(we proceed to remove the safety wire from the 3 pylon bolts)

"All right, Major. We put a grease pencil mark on the bolt and the mating
surface. If, after we put the wrench on it, it has moved, I concede the
point."

(crank up the wrench to the proper setting (IIRC 275 ft lbs))

"CLICK CLICK CLICK"

"Major! Are these grease pencil marks still lined up?"

"hmm...yes"

(grumblegrumblegrumble) "Will there be anything else, Sir?"

"No, I guess not. Thanks"

[sigh]

Pete
I understand his need to make sure...but damn Trust your troops..

Been there done that!

Ever get a work order to bore site a SUU20? Note I said SUU20, not SUU23.

Old December 9th 03, 05:07 PM
Pete

"David Hartung" wrote

1976-1977 Luke
1977-1978 Guam
1978-1981 Luke
1981-1984 Sembach
1984-1985 Bitburg
1985-1986 Blythville

When and where were you?

Close:
'76-'78 Upper Heyford
'78-'80 Griffiss
'81-'82 Hill
'82-'85 Torrejon
'85-'87 Barksdale
'87-'91 Ramstein
'91-'93 Soesterberg
[jumped ship and x-trained into computer programming]
'93-'97 Langley

Pete

Old December 9th 03, 05:12 PM
Pete

"David Hartung" wrote

Been there done that!

Ever get a work order to bore site a SUU20? Note I said SUU20, not SUU23.

HAHAHA

Pete

Old December 9th 03, 07:16 PM
David Hartung

"Pete" wrote in message

"David Hartung" wrote

1976-1977 Luke
1977-1978 Guam
1978-1981 Luke
1981-1984 Sembach
1984-1985 Bitburg
1985-1986 Blythville

When and where were you?

Close:
'76-'78 Upper Heyford
'78-'80 Griffiss
'81-'82 Hill
'82-'85 Torrejon

I RONd at TJ in 1985, We were on our way back from a TDY to Decimomonu(sp)
unfortuntely I spent the evening washing clothes rather than seeing Spain.

One of the Msgts from Sembach went to Torrejon, but I forget his name.

'85-'87 Barksdale

A guy who was my shift supervisor at Luke in early 81 went to Barksdale, the
last I saw him he was either the LSC team chief, or he was the NCOIC of the
LSC. He and his crew came to Blytheville in late 85 or early 86 for some
ALCM training. His "3" man was (I think)Bill Peterson, a guy I knew on Guam.

Hmmlooking at the above, it really is a small world.

Old December 9th 03, 07:19 PM
David Hartung

"Pete" wrote in message

"David Hartung" wrote

Been there done that!

Ever get a work order to bore site a SUU20? Note I said SUU20, not

SUU23.

HAHAHA

Luke was the F4 training location and one of our student pilots came back
from a rocket sortie and wrote up the bore site on his SUU20s.g I won't
repeat what my boss saidg

Old December 9th 03, 08:37 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"David Hartung" wrote:

Luke was the F4 training location and one of our student pilots came back
from a rocket sortie and wrote up the bore site on his SUU20s.g I won't
repeat what my boss saidg

Ah, yes, new pilots trying to write things down.

Not always a good idea.

"Flares would not dispense with flaps down."
"Changed stick/seat linkage."

"Chaff and flares did not dispense."
"Chaff and flares all fired. Dispensed somewhere."

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old December 9th 03, 10:28 PM
David Hartung

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.

Old December 9th 03, 10:32 PM
David Hartung

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"David Hartung" wrote:

Luke was the F4 training location and one of our student pilots came

back
from a rocket sortie and wrote up the bore site on his SUU20s.g I

won't
repeat what my boss saidg

Ah, yes, new pilots trying to write things down.

Not always a good idea.

"Flares would not dispense with flaps down."
"Changed stick/seat linkage."

"Chaff and flares did not dispense."
"Chaff and flares all fired. Dispensed somewhere."

One of the biggest mistakes in the world is to let a pilot see any T.O.
other than the -1!