"The New Soldier" by John Kerry et al

Old February 14th 04, 07:12 PM
Fred J. McCall

"Admin" wrote:

:I don't have to prove it anymore than you should. Double Standard there, ol
:buddy. Kerry did get the medals. Now whether they were earned or not, that
:is questionable. While medals weren't given out at the rate they are today,
:some go them for political reasons back then. Oh, it's thursday, let's give
:the Congressman's kid a medal so I can make General someday.

That sort of thing pretty much stopped at Bronze Star. Kerry got a
Silver Star. That sort of thing was also more common (I'm told) in
the Army and Air Force than elsewhere. Kerry was Navy.

I judge by what is going on now. Kerry lost a lot of credibility with
me when he originally jumped on board Terry McAuliffe's lunacy about
Bush's 'desertion' from the ANG. It shows he's made of the same
putrid stuff that those who went to Florida and argued that military
votes should be invalidated were.

McAuliffe may energize the loon fringes of the Democratic Party, but
they need to get rid of him. He alienates everyone else, and those
are the voters you need to win.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old February 14th 04, 07:13 PM
Scott MacEachern

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:37:52 -0500, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

His indictment went well beyond "some". ...

? Well, no. It didn't, even given what you said yourself. But your
words were "....he condemned the US soldiers, airmen, and sailors who
fought there as being war criminals..." So, all of them?

No, but you ought to be able to show where you voted for aq goodly portion
of them.

How many? What's the proportion that shows that a vet _really_
supports the armed forces? He said in retrospect that he was wrong
about some of this, others -- MX and Star Wars for example, hardly
itty bitty systems -- he stands by.

- Kerry Voted Against At Least Eleven Military Pay Increases.

Given George II's record on hazardous duty pay for troops in
Afghanistan and Iraq, I don't think that you want to go there....

Tell me, how do you think a Guardsmen walks into a military clinic and gets
a dental exam without being in a duty status?

And, it appears, that was about all that he did. Strangely enough, the
dates that guy remembers him being in Alabama don't square with the
Guard's pay records there. Actually, I don't worry too much that Bush
ducked a little during that period: lots of people did it. It does,
however, rather grate to see him being set up as a paragon of
patriotism next to John Kerry during the period. Kerry went to a
dumb-ass war, then opposed it when he got back... both admirable
things and fulfilling the duties of a citizen, I'd say. Bush went into
a Guard very different than that today, and then became the Invisible
Man. Not much different than a lot of other folks, but not especially
commendable, either.

Huh? Your point would be...?

My point would be that you -- and a bunch of other people who should
know better -- are making politically-motivated attacks on a combat
veteran because you're scared that he might win the election this
year. One set of opinion polls and you morph into a Republiflunky. It
ain't pretty.

Scott
Old February 14th 04, 07:58 PM
Alan Minyard

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:19:47 GMT, Douglas Berry wrote:

Lo, many moons past, on Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:46:07 -0600, a stranger
called by some Stop SPAM came forth and told
this tale in us.military.army

He reported to Congress that U.S. soldiers had "personally raped, cut
off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human
genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies,
randomly shot at civilians, razed villages, shot cattle and dogs for
fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of
South Vietnam."

They did. Vietnam was a brutal conflict, and near the end American
command and control began breaking down. Soldiers did do all these
tuhings, feeling abandoned by their nation and service.

It was a horrible time.

Pure BS. There may have been a *few* instances of inappropriate
behavior, but it was less than the crime rate in any big city. I suppose
you "witnessed" these alleged acts? I was there and I certainly
did not.

Al Minyard
Old February 14th 04, 08:32 PM
Admin

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
"Admin" wrote:

:I don't have to prove it anymore than you should. Double Standard there,

ol
:buddy. Kerry did get the medals. Now whether they were earned or not,

that
:is questionable. While medals weren't given out at the rate they are

today,
:some go them for political reasons back then. Oh, it's thursday, let's

give
:the Congressman's kid a medal so I can make General someday.

That sort of thing pretty much stopped at Bronze Star. Kerry got a
Silver Star. That sort of thing was also more common (I'm told) in
the Army and Air Force than elsewhere. Kerry was Navy.

Watch it, Fred, I resemble that remark My Father was offered a Silver due
to a couple of loose cannons in his signal unit that did something really
stupid and lived to tell about it. IT was refused since it would have only
gone to him, the Corporal in Charge (He was busted a couple of time). They
issued a Bronze with no argument accepted to the Platoon. If the Silver had
been accepted, it would have been more of a PR thing than whether it was
actually earned or not. BTW, Ike took time to pin medals on his own Men in
those days. Now you see where the PR came from.

I judge by what is going on now. Kerry lost a lot of credibility with
me when he originally jumped on board Terry McAuliffe's lunacy about
Bush's 'desertion' from the ANG. It shows he's made of the same
putrid stuff that those who went to Florida and argued that military
votes should be invalidated were.

I think it's all a complete mess. I don't care for Bush but Kerry? We are
not having to vote for dumb and dumber once again.

McAuliffe may energize the loon fringes of the Democratic Party, but
they need to get rid of him. He alienates everyone else, and those
are the voters you need to win.

He alienates me, for sure.

Old February 14th 04, 10:29 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

I believe his gist was that Kerry demonstrates a remarkable propensity

for
trying to have his cake and eat it too when it comes to things military

...and my cake and eat it too with respect to economics...unfortunately,
Bush seems to have the same...

I think that Kerry has every right to have protested the war in the way

that
he did and I hesitate to criticize someone who served for speaking his

mind.
I am more interested in what he intends to do when he gets elected, and I
hear more criticism than planned action.

I would love to find a reason to replace Bush, but so far I can't see a

good
alternative.

Dean is a moderate Governor from Vermont and John Kerry is just to the left
of Ted Kennedy. Dean could have moved to the center after running left for
the primaries, but Kerry's paper trail is much too long for him to be a
credable centrist. I don't see how Kerry is more "electable" than Dean.

Old February 14th 04, 11:05 PM
Jack Linthicum

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message ...

Now it's time for you to answer a question I didn't ask or make some
gratuitous comment about the 'cheapness' of Kerry's Purple Hearts.

Not gratuitous--the comment about the PH's is valid; can you name any other
troops who got three of those without missing any duty days?

Technically he missed two days. Next time you've taken shrapnel in the
thigh remember those little scratches. Kerry didn't make the rules but
he played them.
It's 30 years, as I have said elsewhere would you like what you did 30
years ago laid out today in terms of today's standards?
Old February 14th 04, 11:29 PM
S. Sampson

"Admin" wrote

[snip]

BTW, Ike took time to pin medals on his own Men in
those days. Now you see where the PR came from.

General Patton Jr., did it with the most class. He set it up so he
was always seen going to the front, never returning from the front.
He did this by having his scout plane land ahead of him. He would
present all the awards, and then travel to the landing strip afterwards.

Asked why he was handing out so many medals, he replied "I've
determined that each piece of cloth I put on their chests, gets me another
kilometer. Most of the men honored will die in these battles. I find
it increases moral, and the soldiers love to honor these hero's."

Old February 14th 04, 11:33 PM
S. Sampson

"Jack Linthicum" wrote

It's 30 years, as I have said elsewhere would you like what you did 30
years ago laid out today in terms of today's standards?

I wouldn't have a problem with that. I never marched in an anti-government
rally, with the leadership of the Communist Party.

Old February 14th 04, 11:41 PM
loki

"R. David Steele"

The popular media view is that all soldier murdered their
officers and those in their platoons that they disliked. And
that rape and murder is common among soldiers.

Well, my dad who served in WWII mention incidents of fragging then.
Actually, they had one Lt. who survived only because they transferred him
out of there quickly.

It happens in all wars. I doubt Vietnam had any more atrocities committed
by our troops than any other war. It happens.

Loki