Hiller UH-12

Old February 23rd 04, 05:43 PM
brien

Default Hiller UH-12

Looking for a site that list the overhaul and retirement schedule for a
Hiller UH-12

Old February 23rd 04, 06:18 PM
Stevenatherton

which uh12 a b c d e e4
Old March 24th 04, 04:16 AM
Gary

Try http://www.hilleraircraft.com/ There is info on the c and e
models.e
by the way, can anyone comment on the safety record on the c and e
models? I have always ben under the impression that they were great
ships, yet recently I saw a post naming the "Hiller killer", and
wondered if there is a basis for this charge, and if so, what is the
basis for the comment?
Old March 26th 04, 02:07 PM
Rocky

(Gary) wrote in message om...
Try
http://www.hilleraircraft.com/ There is info on the c and e
models.e
by the way, can anyone comment on the safety record on the c and e
models? I have always ben under the impression that they were great
ships, yet recently I saw a post naming the "Hiller killer", and
wondered if there is a basis for this charge, and if so, what is the
basis for the comment?

Hi Gary
I sure don't know of the source of that bad rep but doubt they are
experienced in either model! I've used the 12C & E and ET in thousands
of hours crop spraying/dusting with no problem. Of course I've had the
normal mechanical problems that are endemic to all helicopters but
certainly nothing specific to the Hillers. They are a hard working
machine and take a lot of abuse before they give you major problems.
Can you reference the "Hiller Killer" post so I can go stir the pot in
support of the Hiller?
Thanks
Ol Shy & Bashful 8,000+ hrs helicopters
Old March 27th 04, 07:36 PM
LM Scott

"Rocky" wrote in message
om...
(Gary) wrote in message

[...]

Hi Rocky
I found a site or two that might be of interest and I was especially
pleased to see the old bird was back in production
according to one entry http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=244
http://www.pulsehelicopters.com/info.htm I doubt if there's any thing here
that you aren't familiar with but I really enjoyed some of this info. I
could find nothing bad mouthing the UH 12 in just a quick search and in my
limited knowledge I had always understood they were one of the most reliable
and easy to fly piston ships ever made. If someone can find a reference to a
"killer" Hiller I think that would make for some interesting reading.
Larry

Old March 30th 04, 03:58 AM
Gary

Rocky,
Thanks for your comment on the UH-12. I'm sorry I can't say where I
saw the post, I've been to hundreds of sites looking for info. on the
Hillers. I had a chance to fly in one a couple years ago, and was
surprised at the vibration, but it smoothed out moderately well in
cruise. I have since gained a few hours training in the R-22, and
after 12 hours we are out in the patern, and I have just had an
autorotation demonstrated. The Robbie is much smoother, and faster,
and I get the impression that they are less maintainance intensive. Of
course the only ships in my area available for training are the R-22's
and Schweitzer 300's. I considering buying a ship of some kind for
building hours, and am trying to assemble info. on what would be my
best bet, both from an operational and maint. perspective. Cost is not
the primary concern, but is quite important.
Another ship I am really curious about is the Brantley B2B. I talked
at length to a man about them at the HAI convention in Orlando last
year, and left with a favorable impresssion of them. Unfortunately,
there is little info. that I am able to find on them, other than from
the factory web site, so I am combing the web looking for that, also.
I am really interested in helo's, but am afraid that at 53, I do not
have the time it will take to log enough hours to become employable.
Nevertheless, I am trying to figure a way to get in the air. Again,
thanks for your reply. every little bit helps.
Gary

Old March 30th 04, 03:38 PM
Rocky

(Gary) wrote in message . com...
[...]

The Hiller does have some vibration that I laugh and call the "Hiller
Hop" but if the blades are properly tracked and balanced it is usually
a smooth ride. I would like to point out it does not have any
particular idiosyncracies when it comes to autorotations as does the
Robbie, i.e., rapid rpm decay. In fact, I've had some actuals in the
UH12 while spraying and all were concluded successfully with no damage
to anything but the few plants that got crushed by the skids! (well,
perhaps some nip marks on the seat covers....? ggg)
If you'll email me privately I can give you the contacts for someone
who may be able to help you directly in finding a reasonable Hiller
and give you some hard costs. We operated Hillers for spray operations
and also had Bell 47 and 206. I preferred the Hiller for any number of
reasons not the least of which was it could haul a load when it got
hot.
I've flown the R-22's perhaps a total of 30 hours while doing some add
on ratings like IFR and CFII so am not a complete stranger to them.
However, in spite of the popular feelings of a vocal few, I don't
consider them to be of viable use except for training and personal
local transport. They won't carry much of a load, require factory
specific support, and are no more $$ savers than any other piston
helicopters. Now I see a new emergency AD on them and that always
means $$$$.
Best Regards
Ol Shy & Bashful