Airbus crash in Bermuda sometime in the 1980's?

Old October 1st 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Roy Smith

Default Airbus crash in Bermuda sometime in the 1980's?

I'm looking for information on an crash which fits the following

Sometime in the 1980's
American Airlines
Airbus (unknown model)

The flight supposedly took off from Bermuda bound for Puerto Rico, suffered
a fuel leak en-route, resulting in the inability to either make its
destination or return to Bermuda. The plane ditched very close to Bermuda,
in shallow water, apparently with no loss of life. It is possible this was
the first Airbus ever delivered to AA.

I looked through the NTSB database, and don't see anything which fits.
Google and Wikipedia similarly draw blanks. Anybody have any idea if an
incident such as I described really happened?
Old October 1st 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
David Lesher

Roy Smith writes:

I'm looking for information on an crash which fits the following

Sometime in the 1980's
American Airlines
Airbus (unknown model)

The flight supposedly took off from Bermuda bound for Puerto Rico, suffered
a fuel leak en-route, resulting in the inability to either make its
destination or return to Bermuda. The plane ditched very close to Bermuda,
in shallow water, apparently with no loss of life. It is possible this was
the first Airbus ever delivered to AA.

I recall a L-1011 that went in on OIL leaks.

They'd changed the oil but the new drain plug needed a different
washer. It went in just feet off the beach.

Could that be it?

[It prompted revised ETOPS, as I recall..]

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old October 1st 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Roy Smith

In article ,
David Lesher wrote:

Roy Smith writes:

I'm looking for information on an crash which fits the following

Sometime in the 1980's
American Airlines
Airbus (unknown model)

The flight supposedly took off from Bermuda bound for Puerto Rico, suffered
a fuel leak en-route, resulting in the inability to either make its
destination or return to Bermuda. The plane ditched very close to Bermuda,
in shallow water, apparently with no loss of life. It is possible this was
the first Airbus ever delivered to AA.

I recall a L-1011 that went in on OIL leaks.

They'd changed the oil but the new drain plug needed a different
washer. It went in just feet off the beach.

Could that be it?

[It prompted revised ETOPS, as I recall..]

Could be. I had dinner last night with somebody who said he was a pax on
that flight. Any or all of his story could be confused, but he said it was
an Airbus. On the other hand, he did also say they had just changed the
rules to allow 2-engine flights over the ocean, so I guess it's possible.

The only thing I can find in the NTSB database for L-1011 and Bermuda is
NYC87FA264, which doesn't look right at all.
Old October 1st 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Thomas Borchert

Roy,

Anybody have any idea if an
incident such as I described really happened?

I am doubtful. Can't recall it, can't find it, and my info on Airbus
accidents isn't too shabby.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

FS: 1980's N.A.S.A. Astronauts "Autographed" 8x10 Photos J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 2 May 23rd 05 01:10 PM
Bermuda flights jfp Piloting 0 October 10th 04 04:12 PM
Bermuda BA jfp General Aviation 0 October 10th 04 04:08 PM
prarie vortex? does anyone recall this one from the 1980's 87015 Military Aviation 0 February 27th 04 11:27 AM
The Effects of a Global Thermonuclear War in 1988 ( NuclearWar, 1980's) Nick Coleman Military Aviation 0 December 2nd 03 09:06 AM