Dear Ann Landers ...

Old July 31st 03, 03:40 AM
John Ousterhout

Default Dear Ann Landers ...

I'm a Pilot. I've met a woman that I'm very interested in. She has a
great personality and we have many common interests. I believe that
we could have a great future together. We seem compatible in every
way but one. I've been a Cessna pilot for many years. But she flies
a Piper low-wing. Is there any chance that our relationship will
work?
Old July 31st 03, 04:06 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

John Ousterhout wrote:
I'm a Pilot. I've met a woman that I'm very interested in. She has a
great personality and we have many common interests. I believe that
we could have a great future together. We seem compatible in every
way but one. I've been a Cessna pilot for many years. But she flies
a Piper low-wing. Is there any chance that our relationship will
work?

Dear John,

The logical solution is obviously to compromise: fly both a high
and a low wing plane at the same time. A bi-plane! A Neuport 11
replica would not appear to be a wise choice but a nice Waco or
Stearman should fill the bill (in more ways than one!)

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 31st 03, 06:20 AM
Toks Desalu

Is there any chance that our relationship will
work?

I am not the expert in aviation/love relationship but, I can tell you that
sharing is the key to any relationship. Figure it out.
Toks
PP-ASEL

Old July 31st 03, 08:37 AM
Gilles KERMARC

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

The logical solution is obviously to compromise: fly both a high
and a low wing plane at the same time. A bi-plane! A Neuport 11
replica would not appear to be a wise choice but a nice Waco or
Stearman should fill the bill (in more ways than one!)

And a Staggerwing will make her very dear to you. If your relationship
becomes very productive, an Antonov 2 is an obvious choice...

Old July 31st 03, 01:41 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Gilles KERMARC wrote:

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:
The logical solution is obviously to compromise: fly both a high
and a low wing plane at the same time. A bi-plane! A Neuport 11
replica would not appear to be a wise choice but a nice Waco or
Stearman should fill the bill (in more ways than one!)

And a Staggerwing will make her very dear to you. If your relationship
becomes very productive, an Antonov 2 is an obvious choice...

I was thinking about that. Yes, an Antonov AN-2, the very thing.

The ground handling might be a tad difficult for the Lady of the House,
admittedly, but it's probably easier to drive a tug than to master that
'run in place on the mainwheels' thing the local Stearman pilots practice.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 31st 03, 01:54 PM
Dennis O'Connor

John, tsk, tsk, tsk... Run SCREAMING for the exit... There is no way this
can work... Think of the children... They will be ostracized and tormented
in school... They will be neither fish nor fowl... They can't even join the
Church of the Biplane as single wing sets are not allowed, no matter their
position on the fuselage...
This is heresy... You should be condemned to walk the earth looking skyward
for the rest of your worthless days for even thinking of joining your flesh
with that of the other wing position...
I shudder to even contemplate your fate after your final flight... The ramp
check will be without mercy...

om...

Old July 31st 03, 07:25 PM
Rick Durden

Al,

You will have a mixed marriage. However, variety isn't necessarily
bad. You should step up to a 310 so that the high wing low wing crap
goes away (it only affects very low time, inexperienced pilots anyway)
and she should fly some older, high wing Pipers.

One very definite reality you will observe (depending on her flying
time) is that she has gotten used to the trailing edge of systems
technology in Piper design while you have flown more sophisticated
systems (for a given model year Piper was always about five years
behind Cessna and Beech in systems work), so you'll just have to work
gently with her to bring her into the more modern ages of flight, and
you'll get some laughs out of it. You will find that pops up when you
least expect it...Piper fuel systems require tank changing, which is
one reason they have a higher rate of fuel exhaustion accidents than
Cessnas, and from time to time the two of you will discuss systems and
what she is used to will be much different than what you are used to
and what she's used to will seem somewhat primitive to you. (Only
thing that comes to mind right now is in the Piper and Cessna twins on
the heater system, which proved to be a good laugh for my ex-wife and
me when I got into an Aztec with her after getting out of a 310. I
couldn't get the heater to start and she had no problem. I was used
to the 310 where you simply turn it on. She was used to the Piper
which requires that you first turn on the fuel supply to the heater, I
wasn't thinking primitive enough.)

What's a lot of fun with this is that I was married for 23 years to a
lovely woman who had gotten her private rating in Cherokees and I'd
mostly flown Cessnas and Grummans. After we got married she picked up
her commercial and instrument in Cessnas and multi-engine in a Piper
and then switched over to balloons. For a time we flew a Lance pretty
regularly, alternating legs. We used to laugh about the fact that she
could always grease the landings in that airplane while I pounded it
onto the ground.

All the best,
Rick

Old July 31st 03, 10:04 PM
Ross Oliver

John Ousterhout wrote:
I've been a Cessna pilot for many years. But she flies
a Piper low-wing. Is there any chance that our relationship will
work?

Of course it will. If you need proof, see a photo of just such
a happy coupling he

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...224epilot.html

Old August 1st 03, 04:34 AM
StellaStar

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...224epilot.html

Though it's a members-only page, it's a hilarious pic, and apparently genuine
-- a 19-year-old pilot who said he "had the Cessna in sight" on final didn't
realize there were TWO Cessnas, and he got stuck on top of the invisible 152,
which remarkably looks like only the main gear is a bit squished.

I've been challenged to find a way to insert the Mile High Club into this
string, but modesty and decorum require me to note that most pilots learn in a
high-wing, and those who are more flexible progress to mastering the low-wing,
which can require one to be limber and ready to learn new control inputs and
methods of achieving sufficient altitude.