Editorial Page

Old January 16th 04, 12:43 AM
VideoGuy

"plumb bob" wrote in message
news:vYjNb.53343$sv6.129316@attbi_s52...

Excuse me. All you indignant little punks don't realize that Jay Honeck

is,
by far, the biggest commercial whore on this newsgroup ...

[snip]
-- Plumb Bob (straight up opinions, screw the PC police and you too if you
disagree)

Jay Honeck posts are mostly on-topic, and interesting to me. While not yet
among those who have attained pilot status, my dream still lives; and if I
can stay "on plan" next year should be the year to begin.

Mr. Honeck's posts usually stimulate some discussion regarding aviation.
Others add to the dimension and considerable useful information is passed.
I've learned from these posts, and isn't this one of the goals of a
newsgroup? The fact that he also promotes his *aviation-related* business
is a small part of his posts, and certainly not worthy of plumb bob's
gutter speak.

OTOH, "plumb bob" whoever that is, generally has something negative, or
rude, or crude to say about another poster, or public figure, or newsgroup
policy. A quick Google search revealed such pleasantries from bob as:
"Them people on thah nuze groops just sez I gotta connect dis wire overhere.
I saved me a buck 'cos I shortzed the AP!"Idiot!or:
Hey moron. The temperature on any given day is not an indicator of an
increase (or decrease) of average global temperature. ****, you people
areTOTALLY retarded and:

You forgot. His real name is "Rene Steuben" a Republican paid whore and
liar.

Some may find this endearing, or mildly entertaining. However, it seems to
add little to the purpose of any newsgroup; about who's rules he
occasionally seems adamant. Maybe bob's attitude has deteriorated a lot
since he stopped smoking. Let's all wish him the best on that endeavor, and
maybe when he's sufficiently detoxified he'll be more charitable to those
who don't meet his standard of perfection.

VideoGuy

Old January 16th 04, 02:34 AM
Jay Honeck

Um . . . you do know that Jim Weir and Jay Honek are different people,
right?
Wait! Has anyone ever seen them both together?

I actually DO have a picture taken with Jim (and his lovely wife) --
proving, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I am not Jim.

Much to Jim's relief, I'm sure!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 16th 04, 02:49 AM
Jay Honeck

Some may find this endearing, or mildly entertaining. However, it seems
add little to the purpose of any newsgroup; about who's rules he
occasionally seems adamant. Maybe bob's attitude has deteriorated a lot
since he stopped smoking. Let's all wish him the best on that endeavor,

and
maybe when he's sufficiently detoxified he'll be more charitable to those
who don't meet his standard of perfection.

Hi Guys -- Jay "Smile when you call me 'whore!'" Honeck here. I'd just like
to add a few words to this somewhat bizarre discussion.

First off, the "$100 Hamburger" page was the first truly useful aviation
website I ever visited. To this day it actually performs a service that I,
as a traveling pilot, long for and desperately need. For this, I thank
John Purner, and wish him nothing but the best.

Secondly, Jim Weir has contributed more useful information to this newsgroup
than any ten of us combined. He does it with gentle (okay, sometimes not so
gentle!) good humor, a biting wit, and a thousand years of experience.
While he can be occasionally abrasive, I think I speak for Jim when I say
I'm sure it's all well-meant. Hell, without him, I'd still be hauling car
gas to the hangar in 5-gallon cans... ;-)

Third, our Plumb Bob seems to be yet another reincarnation of several
long-past, long-lost anonymous trolls. I can't quite remember all of his
previous stage names, but the attitude, inability to communicate in a civil
fashion, and general sour nature of his posts ring familiar to my ears.

Does the name "Machogrande" ring a bell with anyone else here?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 16th 04, 03:15 AM
plumb bob

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Third, our Plumb Bob seems to be yet another reincarnation of several
long-past, long-lost anonymous trolls. I can't quite remember all of his
previous stage names, but the attitude, inability to communicate in a

civil
fashion, and general sour nature of his posts ring familiar to my ears.

Does the name "Machogrande" ring a bell with anyone else here?

Jay,

Of course I am a troll. But I am not "Machogrande".

Plumb Bob

P.S. How is the "Mars Suite" coming along?

Old January 16th 04, 03:22 AM
SeeAndAvoid

I guess it's all in the delivery.

Jay's been here as long as I can remember, long before he got his dream
business off the ground. As a matter of fact he'd ask us for suggestions
and opinions about it as he went along. He's one of the most consistently
prolific posters in this group, and almost always done in a nice, non-rude,
non-flaming way. I don't care about someones politics, or religion, as long
as they don't go on about it constantly or try to bring me over to their way
of thinking. Never seen him do that. As far as 'commercial whore' here in
this newsgroup: he'd be broke and out of business if WE were his only
business, just a guess on my part.

As for the others that occasionally advertise on here, there's a couple
types. The hit-and-run type that never usually post here, rarely reply to
the followups, and add nothing to the group.
The ones who do it in third person ("hey did you hear..."). Also not
usually a consistent poster to the group.
And the ones who mention it in passing, or in their signature, who answer
technical questions. Some are helpful and courteous, some can't wait to
find a way to point out how superior they are.

I don't care if people advertise on here, especially any of the regulars,
whether I like them or not. But this all started from an editor, maybe it
was advertising while asking for opinions/debate, but instead he received
complaints about his product/service. If he wants to go through the work of
weeding through our 'PIREPS' scattered around here, and put them in print
and try to sell them, maybe that might be helpful to someone who doesn't
even know these groups exist. If you're so worried about your opinion of a
restaurant and the copyright of that idea, don't post. For me it was
informative to see people had a problem with the way that book is compiled,
news to me.

Personally I think it takes a pair for someone to come on here and put in a
plug for their product - and stick around and take the questions and abuse
from some of you. If you don't like them, don't buy their product. If you
do, then do business with them. I'm planning my stay in IOW.

Chris

Old January 16th 04, 06:14 AM
G.R. Patterson III

VideoGuy wrote:

maybe when he's sufficiently detoxified he'll be more charitable to those
who don't meet his standard of perfection.

I have some ocean front property in Valdosta, Georgia I'd like to sell you.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 16th 04, 03:00 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"plumb bob" wrote in message
newsHINb.62458$Rc4.223099@attbi_s54...

Of course I am a troll. But I am not "Machogrande".

Well, you're also into the bozo bin!

[ Tomahawk slam PLONK]

Old January 16th 04, 04:54 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:e5INb.77382$xy6.135454@attbi_s02...
Um . . . you do know that Jim Weir and Jay Honek are different people,

right?
Wait! Has anyone ever seen them both together?

I actually DO have a picture taken with Jim (and his lovely wife) --
proving, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I am not Jim.

I can vouch for that. Jim has more hair.

Old January 16th 04, 05:28 PM
Jim Weir

Did you mean that literally or colloquially?

{;-)

Jim

"Ron Natalie"

-
-I can vouch for that. Jim has more hair.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 16th 04, 10:47 PM
plumb bob

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"plumb bob" wrote in message
newsHINb.62458$Rc4.223099@attbi_s54...

Of course I am a troll. But I am not "Machogrande".

Well, you're also into the bozo bin!

[ Tomahawk slam PLONK]

Terrific. This is what most trolls try to achieve.

Plumb Bob

P.S. Most people do not say "plonk" these days (well, unless they are men
devoid of manly equipment, if you know what I mean). The appropriate
response is to kill file the offending poster and not mention it with a
girly "plonk" comment.