Human factors RECKLESSNESS

Old May 10th 05, 05:52 AM
Roger

On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:28:09 -0500, "For Example John Smith"
wrote:

There's no reason why living every day as your last precludes living every
day with the discipline to do everything in a way that best ensures that you
live another day. Who would want their last day to be marked by sloppiness,
lack of skill or poor judgement? Marcus Aurelius spoke at length on this
topic ca. 200 AD.

I think those taking this stance for living every day as your last are
ignoring today's connotations of the statement.

I take the above statements explanation to mean "living every day to
the fullest as it might be your last:". This is far different than
the usual thoughts that go with live every day as if it were your
last, which does bring to mind recklessness and lack of judgment.

So too could "Live every day as if it were going to be your last" as
it will be the light in which you are remembered.

Word meanings change with time and statements such as the one above,
even more. I'd assume the meaning of" living your life to the fullest
as it might be the last" and Live every day as if it were to be your
last may have changed since 200AD. It's different from culture to
culture today.

This is one of those statements that can easily mean virtually the
opposite to two different people..

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

"Ed H" wrote in message
m...

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

No it is my concept of life. Plain in simple lifeis short! You never

know
how long you have. So live it like every day is your last.

I'm a career Special Forces officer. I've made my living with and around
firearms, explosives, parachutes, and other risky things. Not to mention
roaming around places like Iraq trying not to get shot or blown up. Two

of
my favorite off-duty pursuits are aerobatic flying and mountaineering. So
I'm fairly well acquianted with risk.

Here's the thing: it's not about taking stupid chances in search of an
adrenaline rush. It's about controlling your environment, mastering the
challenges set before you. That means gathering information, knowing all
the risks, having the right skills, and taking appropriate measures to
ensure the outcome is positive. Every time.

If you live like every day is your last, then it will become a
self-fulfilling prophesy. It's a BS attitude. Your mentality should be

"I
may die, but it ain't gonna be today." Live to fly (or climb, or jump, or
fight) another day.

I don't know Bob Hoover, but I'm willing to bet that his attitude is

closer
to mine than to yours. I've known guys with your attitude. Some of them
grew out of it. The others are dead.

I don't blame you for the roll. I blame your CFI. You, as a student,
cannot be criticized for trusting your CFI to advise you. I probably

would
have done the same thing 10 years ago, when I didn't know better. Your

CFI
should lose his instructor status, if not his flight privs.

But that highlights the big danger in these kind of endeavors. You do the
right thing by seeking help from an experienced person, but what if that
person turns out to be an idiot? All I can say is be careful who you

trust,
seek second opinions, and look for appropriate certifications. One of the
saddest things about the NTSB accident reports are all the stories of
friends and family members killed by jackass pilots doing stupid things.