ELT replacement: Options?

Old March 28th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
me[_1_]

Default ELT replacement: Options?

Every ELT manufacture that I spoke to said they were working on getting
their 406mhz units to market
When they do I think the prices will be much more reasonable. I will then
definitely consider one.

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 3/26/2007 10:39:47 PM, "me" wrote:

Just today I ordered the ACK E01 121.5 ELT $215.00 from sky geek to
replace the pointer 3000 installed in my plane.

That unit was brought to my attention during my research, but I find it
hard
to believe that a unit powered by D batteries is certified for install in
Bonanza. It does seem that it is, though, and I agree with you that the
price
difference between this unit and the 406Mhz is dramatic.

I, too, carry a PLB unit that transmits GPS coordinates but of course this
security is only as good as the hope that I or a passenger will be
conscience
after a crash to activate it.

--
Peter

Old March 29th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
James M. Knox

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in

Peter R. wrote:
That unit was brought to my attention during my research, but I find
it hard to believe that a unit powered by D batteries is certified for
install in a Bonanza. It does seem that it is, though, ...

It certainly is. I think you'd probably be surprised if you opened
most ELT batteries. They are commonly just a bunch of off the shelf
alkaline batteries that are soldered together inside a box. You'd
never know it from the price tag :-))

The trick is the "legality" issue. It's the certification by the
company that solders all those other batteries together that makes it
legal. For decades there was no traceability on commercial batteries
bought at your local 7-11 store. Duracell started to "brand" their
batteries with expiration dates traceable back to the manufacture date.
THAT made them legal to use, and allowed ELT manufacturers to start
making units that used them.

Anyone with such a unit, can you verify that you can't legally just
plunk in *any* D-Cells, but rather that it has to be specific brands
(i.e. Duracell), or has to have the date listed on/with the battery?

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
Suite 200
Austin, Tx 78756
Old March 29th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 3/29/2007 10:08:32 AM, "James M. Knox" wrote:

Anyone with such a unit, can you verify that you can't legally just
plunk in *any* D-Cells, but rather that it has to be specific brands
(i.e. Duracell), or has to have the date listed on/with the battery?

I don't have the unit yet but when I talked to ACK, the manufacturer of the
E-01 ELT that is powered by D batteries, the representative kept specifically
using the phrase, "Duracell D batteries" every time he mentioned the issue of
the unit taking batteries. I thought it a bit odd that he continually
referenced the battery by brand name, but not enough to ask him why.

--
Peter
Old March 29th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

me wrote:
Every ELT manufacture that I spoke to said they were working on getting
their 406mhz units to market
When they do I think the prices will be much more reasonable. I will then
definitely consider one.

I'm holding out until they produce one that doesn't use proprietary
batteries.
Old March 29th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Drew Dalgleish

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:17:36 -0400, "Peter R."
wrote:

On 3/29/2007 10:08:32 AM, "James M. Knox" wrote:

Anyone with such a unit, can you verify that you can't legally just
plunk in *any* D-Cells, but rather that it has to be specific brands
(i.e. Duracell), or has to have the date listed on/with the battery?

I don't have the unit yet but when I talked to ACK, the manufacturer of the
E-01 ELT that is powered by D batteries, the representative kept specifically
using the phrase, "Duracell D batteries" every time he mentioned the issue of
the unit taking batteries. I thought it a bit odd that he continually
referenced the battery by brand name, but not enough to ask him why.

--
Peter

My ameri-king uses only duracells and they have to be replaced every
year.
Old March 29th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Ron Natalie wrote:
me wrote:
Every ELT manufacture that I spoke to said they were working on getting
their 406mhz units to market
When they do I think the prices will be much more reasonable. I will then
definitely consider one.

I'm holding out until they produce one that doesn't use proprietary
batteries.

An ACK support person told me (via E-mail) that they already have a
406Mhz version of their popular D-cell ELT, but they're waiting until
the FAA makes the ELT replacement a hard requirement. He didn't go into
details, but I suspect they think the market won't be big enough until
the FAA mandates the replacement.

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old March 30th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mar 29, 7:08 am, "James M. Knox" wrote:

Anyone with such a unit, can you verify that you can't legally just
plunk in *any* D-Cells, but rather that it has to be specific brands
(i.e. Duracell), or has to have the date listed on/with the battery?

I've seen the doc for two brands (IIRC, ACK and Ameri-King) and
both specifically directed the user to use dated Duracells.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 30th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle P

Ron Natalie wrote:
me wrote:

Every ELT manufacture that I spoke to said they were working on
getting their 406mhz units to market
When they do I think the prices will be much more reasonable. I will
then definitely consider one.

I'm holding out until they produce one that doesn't use proprietary
batteries.

yeah but in my new ELT the batteries are good for 5 years.
Michelle
Old March 30th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_2_]

"James M. Knox" wrote:

Anyone with such a unit, can you verify that you can't legally just
plunk in *any* D-Cells, but rather that it has to be specific brands
(i.e. Duracell), or has to have the date listed on/with the battery?

I have the ACK unit with the D cell batteries. It requires the duracell batteries with a date code, not just
the ordinary flashlight batteries. They are good for 4 years.

Mike
Old March 30th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

On Mar 29, 7:43 am, (Drew Dalgleish)
wrote:

My ameri-king uses only duracells and they have to be replaced every
year.

That's not true. According to ACK's document
http://www.ackavionics.com/images/Mo...ELT_Manual.pdf
You only need to replace the Duracell dated batteries before the
expiration date printed on the batteries. That document is an FAA
approved document.

KX170B replacement options Robert M. Gary Owning 24 February 10th 06 01:54 AM
TCAS like options Michelle P Owning 18 June 21st 05 08:49 AM
Options [email protected] Soaring 32 March 14th 05 06:33 PM
Lycoming O-290-D options Gene Z. Ragan Home Built 6 March 11th 04 11:17 AM
Options in Summer of '45 Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 December 24th 03 05:15 PM