Vertical Card Compass?

Old March 30th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bubba[_2_]

Default Vertical Card Compass?

I am trying to find parts for my Hamilton Vertical Card Compass. I bought
the thing, Model HI 350, serial no. 274, for my flying machine in 1982 from
Hamilton Instruments Inc Since then, Hamilton has gone out of business.

Instead of a normal whisley compass, this thing has a rotating vertical
compass card that looks like a directional gyro, but only 2 1/4 inches in
diameter. It is very steady and does not jump around like the normal
compass in turbulence. In order to make it swing, I had to buy a remote
sending unit or transmitter, and mount it in the wing. Works great.

I would like to purchase a new remote sending unit and the required 20'
cable for the new set of wings I am building, but I am having no luck
finding where to look.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should look or who I should call?

TIA

Old March 30th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Bubba" wrote in message
I am trying to find parts for my Hamilton Vertical Card Compass. I bought
the thing, Model HI 350, serial no. 274, for my flying machine in 1982
from Hamilton Instruments Inc Since then, Hamilton has gone out of
business.

Instead of a normal whisley compass, this thing has a rotating vertical
compass card that looks like a directional gyro, but only 2 1/4 inches in
diameter. It is very steady and does not jump around like the normal
compass in turbulence. In order to make it swing, I had to buy a remote
sending unit or transmitter, and mount it in the wing. Works great.

Why would you need a sending unit for a magnetic compass?

I would like to purchase a new remote sending unit and the required 20'
cable for the new set of wings I am building, but I am having no luck
finding where to look.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should look or who I should
call?

I don't know of the parts are compatible, but check these folks (Hell,. just
get a new one).

http://www.pai700.com/index.html

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...rd_compass.php

Old March 31st 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:57:15 -0500, "Bubba"
wrote:

I am trying to find parts for my Hamilton Vertical Card Compass. I bought
the thing, Model HI 350, serial no. 274, for my flying machine in 1982 from
Hamilton Instruments Inc Since then, Hamilton has gone out of business.

Instead of a normal whisley compass, this thing has a rotating vertical
compass card that looks like a directional gyro, but only 2 1/4 inches in
diameter. It is very steady and does not jump around like the normal
compass in turbulence. In order to make it swing, I had to buy a remote
sending unit or transmitter, and mount it in the wing. Works great.

I would like to purchase a new remote sending unit and the required 20'
cable for the new set of wings I am building, but I am having no luck
finding where to look.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should look or who I should call?

TIA

Based on my last experience with Hamilton many years ago, the last time
mine needed servicing, I think you'll be luck to find a working remote
sending unit. I don't believe they had any significant inventory; and any
that have been sitting on the shelf may or may not be working.

I have pretty much decided that when the one I have breaks, I'll probably
replace it with a SIRS compass: http://www.sirs.co.uk/aircraft%20light.htm

--ron
Old March 31st 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

I have pretty much decided that when the one I have breaks, I'll probably
replace it with a SIRS compass: http://www.sirs.co.uk/aircraft%20light.htm

O.K., but the gent asked about a vertical card compass repair, SIRS only
appears to produce conventional wet compasses.

As another poster suggested, the obvious "repair" may be to replace the
Hamilton with a Precision PAI700 vertical card compass (Chief Aircraft
and others). Around $300 with mount. One piece, no electronics except
for the light.

Be aware though that some have had difficulty in keeping these units
accurate. One web site suggests that an installation using a magnetized
screwdriver knocks these things permanently off their gimbals. I have
had one go toes up.

Even if they do die every couple of years, I will still replace them
given the useless (whiskey compass) alternatives.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old April 1st 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:12:41 GMT, Mike Spera wrote:

[...]

The Hamilton compass which the OP asked about has a remote sensor, which
can be mounted in the tail or a wing. In my case, I used it because the
standard compass could not cope with the magnetism in the frame of my
Mooney, and, if that is the reason the OP installed a Hamilton vertical
card compass, he will have the same problem with the PAI700.

I have been told that magnetism issues are the usual reason to use the
Hamilton, as it was considerably more expensive than the non-remote sensing
vertical card compasses.

The SIRS compass, which has four instead of the usual two fixed magnet
adjustments, and also has a more viscous damping fluid than the usual
airpath, may provide a more stable instrument than the PAI700.
--ron
Old April 1st 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...

I have pretty much decided that when the one I have breaks, I'll probably
replace it with a SIRS compass:
http://www.sirs.co.uk/aircraft%20light.htm

O.K., but the gent asked about a vertical card compass repair, SIRS only
appears to produce conventional wet compasses.

As another poster suggested, the obvious "repair" may be to replace the
Hamilton with a Precision PAI700 vertical card compass (Chief Aircraft and
others). Around $300 with mount. One piece, no electronics except for the
light.

Be aware though that some have had difficulty in keeping these units
accurate. One web site suggests that an installation using a magnetized
screwdriver knocks these things permanently off their gimbals. I have had
one go toes up.

I had one (PAI) in my Bo 36 for four years with nary a glitch. The
installer, IR, mentioned removing ALL magnetic interference during the
install.

Even if they do die every couple of years, I will still replace them given
the useless (whiskey compass) alternatives.

Agreed..in spades.

Old April 1st 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:32:03 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

I had one (PAI) in my Bo 36 for four years with nary a glitch. The
installer, IR, mentioned removing ALL magnetic interference during the
install.

In order to remove all magnetic interference in my old Mooney, I would have
to rewire quite a bit, as well as degauss. The estimate to have this done
about fifteen years ago was well over $4,000. (Degaussing would only work
for a week or two). A compass with a remote sensor was a much more
economical solution.
--ron
Old April 1st 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote:

I had one (PAI) in my Bo 36 for four years with nary a glitch. The
installer, IR, mentioned removing ALL magnetic interference during the
install.

In order to remove all magnetic interference in my old Mooney, I would
have
to rewire quite a bit, as well as degauss. The estimate to have this done
about fifteen years ago was well over $4,000. (Degaussing would only work
for a week or two). A compass with a remote sensor was a much more
economical solution.

What's the deal with Mooney's? Does it make radio installs more touchy?

Old April 2nd 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

wrote:

I had one (PAI) in my Bo 36 for four years with nary a glitch. The
installer, IR, mentioned removing ALL magnetic interference during the
install.

In order to remove all magnetic interference in my old Mooney, I would
have
to rewire quite a bit, as well as degauss. The estimate to have this done
about fifteen years ago was well over $4,000. (Degaussing would only work
for a week or two). A compass with a remote sensor was a much more
economical solution.

What's the deal with Mooney's? Does it make radio installs more touchy?

Mooneys have a steel "roll cage" around the cabin. The only complaint
I've ever heard about radio installs in Mooneys is the cramped space.
I've heard stories about the steel becoming magnetized, particularly as
a result of a lightning strike, but I don't have any personal
experience, and not looking for any.
Old April 2nd 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:21:01 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I had one (PAI) in my Bo 36 for four years with nary a glitch. The
installer, IR, mentioned removing ALL magnetic interference during the
install.

In order to remove all magnetic interference in my old Mooney, I would
have
to rewire quite a bit, as well as degauss. The estimate to have this done
about fifteen years ago was well over $4,000. (Degaussing would only work
for a week or two). A compass with a remote sensor was a much more
economical solution.

What's the deal with Mooney's? Does it make radio installs more touchy?

The older Mooney's were prone to having magnetism induced in the steel cage
that essentially surrounds the cockpit area. SB M20-150A (see
http://www.mooney.com/service/service_bulletins.php ) discusses this issue.
I think it had to do with the way the earlier Mooney's were wired.
Apparently the airframe was used as a ground return path. My understanding
is that subseqent Mooney's were not wired in this manner. In addition, the
windshield center post (where the magnetic compass gets mounted) was
changed to non-magnetic stainless steel, from the original steel.

I don't believe radio installs are any more "touchy", except perhaps for
space behind the panel issues.
--ron