How do you interpret...

Old January 9th 04, 04:46 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"EDR" wrote in message

Here is the question:
When you fill in the AIRSPEED box, do you give the actual indicated
airspeed for your cruise power setting?
Or, do you use the "groundspeed", based on winds aloft?

Neither, you use true airspeed.

Further, in these days of RADAR, LORAN and GPS, do you advice ATC of
the groundspeed deviation from the airspeed?

No, you advise of changes in your filed true airspeed.

Old January 9th 04, 05:46 AM
C J Campbell

"Craig Prouse" wrote in message
| In article aqnLb.1278$na.1288@attbi_s04, Newps
| wrote:
|
| Robert Moore wrote:
|

| If you have "advised" ATC of a change in TAS, they recompute your ETA.
|
| ATC does no such thing. You tell a controller that you are going 20
| knots slower/faster than you put on your flight plan the controller
| could not possibly care less. In one ear and out the other.
|

| Don Brown, according to his column today, seems to pay attention to such
| details.
|
| http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/186442-1.html

Don Brown's gripe appears to be about what he was handed from other sectors,
not about what airspeed the pilot reported.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you only reported a change in
airspeed or ETA if you were in a non-radar environment?

Old January 9th 04, 08:51 AM
Stan Gosnell

Newps wrote in

That's what they tell you. If you lose comm but your
transponder still works life is golden for the controller.
Lose the transponder too and we'll use primary radar,
although that makes the workload for the controller go up
significantly. Lose radar and ATC will essentially clear a
route for you.

Radar doesn't cover everywhere, so the old non-radar separation
still has to be used. Where I fly, I'm lucky to get radar
contact for the last 40 miles back in. So how does ZHU provide
the separation, when there are 8 or 10 aircraft on the same
route, inbound and outbound, if they don't have the filed
airspeed? Ouija board? Or just a WAG? Or don't they care? I
don't think it's the last one.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old January 9th 04, 11:06 AM
ross watson

My instructor told me I had to report change in airspeed regardless. I
found this in the AIM:

Section 3. En Route Procedures

5-3-1. ARTCC Communications

snip

5-3-3. Additional Reports

a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities
without a specific ATC request:

1. At all times.

(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight
level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

(b) When an altitude change will be made if operating on a
clearance specifying VFR-on-top.

(c) When unable to climb/descend at a rate of a least 500 feet
per minute.

(d) When approach has been missed. (Request clearance for
specific action; i.e., to alternative airport, another approach, etc.)

(e) Change in the average true airspeed (at cruising altitude)
when it varies by 5 percent or 10 knots (whichever is greater) from that
filed in the flight plan.

FWIW

Old January 9th 04, 12:28 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you only reported a change in
airspeed or ETA if you were in a non-radar environment?

The AIM says to report at all times a change in the average true airspeed

Old January 9th 04, 03:05 PM
Newps

Stan Gosnell wrote:
Newps wrote in

That's what they tell you. If you lose comm but your
transponder still works life is golden for the controller.
Lose the transponder too and we'll use primary radar,
although that makes the workload for the controller go up
significantly. Lose radar and ATC will essentially clear a
route for you.

Radar doesn't cover everywhere, so the old non-radar separation
still has to be used. Where I fly, I'm lucky to get radar
contact for the last 40 miles back in. So how does ZHU provide
the separation, when there are 8 or 10 aircraft on the same
route, inbound and outbound, if they don't have the filed
airspeed? Ouija board? Or just a WAG? Or don't they care? I
don't think it's the last one.

The computer spits out strips just like for any flight. These strips are
updated by the controller. Since you are only flying anout 50 miles
nonradar that's probably the same controller, so there's no updating to
do. You are still talking to him and separation is easiest using vertical.

Old January 9th 04, 04:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message

The computer spits out strips just like for any flight. These strips are
updated by the controller. Since you are only flying anout 50 miles
nonradar that's probably the same controller, so there's no updating to
do. You are still talking to him and separation is easiest using

vertical.

Hmmm..... There are 8 or 10 aircraft on the same route, inbound and
outbound, and you're going to use vertical separation. How are you going to
get the arrivals through the departures?

Old January 10th 04, 04:14 AM
Mike Rapoport

Since the box says TRUE AIRSPEED, I put true airspeed in the box.

Mike
MU-2

"EDR" wrote in message

When filling IFR, there are two boxes you put numbers in, AIRSPEED and
TIME ENROUTE.

These go back to the old days, but are still applicable today.
AIRSPEED, as the name implies, tells ATC how fast your airplane is
going through the air.
TIME ENROUTE tells ATC when to expect you at your destination.

One of the regs says that you have to advice ATC of any airspeed
deviations of +/- 10% (someone correct me if I am wrong, I do not have
the AIM in front of me).
However, the TIME ENROUTE should take into account headwinds and/or
tailwinds. This is important in the event of loss of comm.

Here is the question:
When you fill in the AIRSPEED box, do you give the actual indicated
airspeed for your cruise power setting?
Or, do you use the "groundspeed", based on winds aloft?

If you use the actual indicated airspeed, the math is not correct for
the time enroute.

If you use the actual airspeed and the calculated no-wind time enroute,
you mess up the system in the event of loss of comm, since you will not
be where they expect you in the elapsed time.

Old January 10th 04, 06:36 AM
Stan Gosnell

Newps wrote in

The computer spits out strips just like for any flight.
These strips are updated by the controller. Since you are
only flying anout 50 miles nonradar that's probably the
same controller, so there's no updating to do. You are
still talking to him and separation is easiest using
vertical.

It's often more like 200NM nonradar, but it's still often the
same controller. But if he doesn't know the airspeed of any of
the aircraft, how does he insure separation? Running into
another aircraft out there isn't something I want to have to
worry about.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old January 11th 04, 10:41 PM
Newps

Stan Gosnell wrote:

It's often more like 200NM nonradar, but it's still often the
same controller. But if he doesn't know the airspeed of any of
the aircraft, how does he insure separation?

First off we all know the airspeed of virtually every aircraft we work.
You don't have to know it exactly. Being able to ballpark it is good
enough. Secondly, you are separated vertically if you are close to
someone else.