Fishing vest as a cockpit organizer

Old October 28th 05, 06:46 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Fishing vest as a cockpit organizer

Since the topic of cockpit organization always comes up, has anyone
tried using fishing vest? It has many pockets that appears to be a good
solution for a cockpit, but I don't what the drawbacks are. Here is a
brief writeup about fishing vests.

http://outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet...AID =espnsite

Old October 28th 05, 07:11 PM
Longworth

Andrew,
I bought Rick one of those photo/safari/traveler's vest on sale for
something like $15. It's light weight, not bulky and come in quite
handy for flying with its many pockets. It's too bad that the vests
don't come in xs size for me.

Hai Longworth

Old October 28th 05, 07:27 PM
Montblack

("Andrew Sarangan" wrote)
Since the topic of cockpit organization always comes up, has anyone
tried using fishing vest? It has many pockets that appears to be a good
solution for a cockpit, but I don't what the drawbacks are. Here is a
brief writeup about fishing vests.

http://outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=29747&hvarAID =espnsite

You're really 'trolling' now. g

Tower: Destination on the field?
1234W: I thought I'd lay in over by those weeds, then work my way back to
that rocky shelf.

Montblack

Old October 28th 05, 07:41 PM
Don Tuite

On 28 Oct 2005 10:46:27 -0700, "Andrew Sarangan"
wrote:

Since the topic of cockpit organization always comes up, has anyone
tried using fishing vest? It has many pockets that appears to be a good
solution for a cockpit, but I don't what the drawbacks are. Here is a
brief writeup about fishing vests.

I tried what's really a travel vest that I got from REI. It's
marginal. With three layers of pockets in some places, it's sometimes
hard to know which slit to put your hand into; in a hot cockpit it's a
couple of extra layers of sweat-producing clothing; and it makes me
look like more of a doofus than usual.

Don
Old October 29th 05, 01:47 AM
vincent p. norris

in a hot cockpit it's a couple of extra layers of sweat-producing clothing...

I agree.

I wear one when I'm fishing; it's extremely useful because fising
involves carryng a lot of small to medium-size objects.

It would be utterly inappropriate, however, for flying. Pockets are
too small for charts or approach plates or almost anything else I
carry in my bag.

vince norris
Old October 29th 05, 02:35 AM
Blanche

At the risk of admitting my addiction to Stargate tv series,
there are any number of companies that have what are known as
"tactical" vests. For example,

www.lapolicegear.com/5tave.html
www.copsplus.com/prodnum3214.php

or just search for "tactical vest"

Just make sure that it doesn't clash with your B5 or Trek uniform...

(*snorfle*)

Old October 29th 05, 10:49 AM
Cub Driver

Yes, I do. It gets a lot of laughs at the airport.

It's mostly my emergency kit. I figure that if the Cub goes down, I
might have to abandon my pack, which rides in the front seat. What's
in the vest is flares, cigarette lighter, compass, bug repellent, and
spare spectacles. Plus the vest has a hood, which adds a bit of
warmth.

I don't ever actually use the vest gear for flying, though the hood
and the specs are always a possibility.

wrote:

Since the topic of cockpit organization always comes up, has anyone
tried using fishing vest? It has many pockets that appears to be a good
solution for a cockpit, but I don't what the drawbacks are. Here is a
brief writeup about fishing vests.

http://outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet...AID =espnsite

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old October 30th 05, 01:23 PM

Andrew,

I wear such a vest when flying, except it's for my survival equipment.
It's not terribly convenient for use to reach stuff I need when flying,
other than a pen or pencil. (For cockpit organization, I've observed
that the vast majority of pilots simply carry too much crap - by
getting rid of half of it the whole question would be less of a
concern.) Because the guys who have done research into post crash
survival have indicated that a large percentage of the time you only
have acess to what you have on your person - you can't get at the
survival pack or it gets burned up in the crash - I've taken to putting
the basic equipment into a vest that I put on just before I get into
the airplane and take off after I get out.

There's some absolutely excellent information provided by the nonprofit
organization that does research into survival equipment and practices
for aviators: Equipped to Survive. Take a look at its website:
www.equipped.org

All the best,
Rick

Old October 30th 05, 05:24 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Thanks for your comments. I am not talking about carrying all kinds of
survival equipment or radios etc.. Even the minimalist list includes
items such as a chart, pen, notepad, flashlight, headset, spare
batteries.... My students often misplace these items on a xc flight.
Its worse at night. It just adds to the cockpit clutter. I can find
over a dozen items if I look under the seat. There ought to be a better
way.

Old October 30th 05, 08:48 PM
john smith

In article .com,
"Andrew Sarangan" wrote:

Since the topic of cockpit organization always comes up, has anyone
tried using fishing vest?

I use one as a survival vest. ("If it ain't on you, it ain't going out
the door with you!" - old Viet Nam helicopter pilot saying.)
I carry a mini-10-essentials kit distributed in the various pockets.
Try to find one that is made of mesh with the pockets sewn on.
This is more comfortable in the summer (doesn't matter in the winter).
The short length of the fishing vest fits comfortably when sitting in
the cockpit.
Also, there are several manufacturers that include a very soft,
comfortable, fleece-like collar. Usually gray in color. The regular
cloth collar tends to chafe.