Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 10th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

Bob Fry wrote:
"JH" == Jay Honeck writes:

JH He laughed and said that he "Had to fill the tank more often
JH than that!", to which I laughingly replied "Yeah, the only
JH time the tanks don't get filled at our place is when hotel
JH owners use our van -- those guys are the cheapest SOBs
JH around!"

I changed two words in the "quote" above. How does it feel?

Others have already said it better than I. I'll just add that it
sounds like the guy is both a charter pilot and runs a business of
charter pilots, and you accidently insulted his entire professional
life. What to you was an overreaction to him might have been
considerable restraint.

Actually I really wonder if this guy got offended because Jay's
observation was accurate about this guy. To me, it sounds like the
charter pilots who work for this guy have told this guy more than once
to go f**k himself and walked out on him leaving him and his paying
passengers/cargo (one and the same ;-) ) high and dry. After all if
this guy did not fit the alleged mold, then he should have told Jay,
"Well sorry to say your observation is not entirely correct. I take
great care of my pilots and that's why they work for me for so many years."

Gerald
Old November 9th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Jay Honeck wrote:

We'll never know -- and we'll never be back. It's a shame -- with all
the problems facing GA, small-town airports simply can't afford to have
FBOs driving off what little business they have (we were the only plane
there) -- but for us there are literally hundreds of other airports to
visit, so it won't matter much.

Exactly what "business" did he drive off? Did you buy any avgas?
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old November 10th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Exactly what "business" did he drive off? Did you buy any avgas?

Not this time. However, airports are publically owned for a reason --
their primary impact is that they bring lots of dollars into the local
economy. Thus, the "business" this guy drove off was the $30 we spent
at the local restaurant, the $15 we spent at the local gas station
(filling HIS tank) plus any future business we could provide to his
FBO.

To better illustrate this effect, an Iowa State University study (done
in 2000) of Iowa airports shows that our Iowa City airport directly and
INDIRECTLY brings $5.7 million dollars per year into the local economy.
That's a nice chunk of change, and is made up of hundreds
(thousands?) of little guys like me (and Mary) flying in.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Plus the trickle down effect of those of us who might have happened
across that field (when we learn the identity of it).. and all the
people we tell about it as well..

Whats the old adage.. if you like the way you were treated, you tell
your friends.. if you DISLIKE the way you were treated, you tell EVERYONE.

Dave
Old November 11th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jay Honeck wrote:

We'll never know -- and we'll never be back. It's a shame -- with all
the problems facing GA, small-town airports simply can't afford to have
FBOs driving off what little business they have (we were the only plane
there) -- but for us there are literally hundreds of other airports to
visit, so it won't matter much.

Exactly what "business" did he drive off? Did you buy any avgas?

Well, now, Jay could be out here telling everybody what a great FBO it is.

For example, I recommend Gorge Winds Aviation in Troutdale, Oregon.
Excellent people, excellent rates, excellent service. If you're looking for
a rating, rental or training, I recommend Marv, Steve or Delcy.
Hopefully, their professional courtesy will be rewarded by my recommendation
to readers.

Jay's not extending that recommendation here, is he?

Also, Jay filled the tank. He didn't have to. Maybe in the future he
won't, especially if for some reason he has to return and the guy doesn't
remember him.

-c

Old November 11th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

"gatt" wrote in message

Also, Jay filled the tank. He didn't have to.

As the Fbo owner told him. Maybe his way of paying it forward for the times
he couldn't. And then J just walked up and slapped him in the face...twice.

J likes to stick his foot in his mouth and, rather than pull it out, he
seems to prefer jamming it in to the knee.

Someday he'll have to deal with some guy just like him, and hopefully he'll
remember some of the things he's said and realize just what is really so
****ed up about himself.

mike

Old November 13th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"mike regish" wrote in message
. ..

Also, Jay filled the tank. He didn't have to.

As the Fbo owner told him. Maybe his way of paying it forward for the
times he couldn't. And then J just walked up and slapped him in the
face...twice.

Jay didn't slap anybody in the face. What's with the hyperbole?

Someday he'll have to deal with some guy just like him,

Well, he's dealing with comments like yours, isn't he?

and hopefully he'll

....deal with it like an adult rather than a spoiled, reactionary teenager.

A big boy with a cool head--the type who might be worthy of being entrusted
with the lives of passengers--might have said "I'm sorry. That comment
offends me because..."

Do you imagine that Jay hasn't had his share of customers with opinions?

-c

Old November 14th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Do you imagine that Jay hasn't had his share of customers with opinions?

Hee hee! We cater to pilots. Getting pilots to agree on ANYTHING is
like herding cats.

'Nuff said...?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 9th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Decades ago, in my younger days (okay, waaaay younger), I was asked to
leave a drinking establishment or two, and I've had a few women show me
the door, over time...but I never thought I'd ever be asked to leave an
FBO.

To our amazement, it happened to Mary and me today.

Well, he was just a crude redneck, you're lucky he didn't carry!

You were sarcastic, crass, and just like flying IFR, don't have a clue about
"charter pilots."

Karl
Ex chief pilot Part 135, 16 years. And yes, we always bought fuel for the
crew car. We also bought 550,000 gallons of jet fuel just on the road. We
also ALWAYS bought jet fuel at every stop whether we needed it or not
(courtesy fuel)

Old November 11th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"karl gruber" wrote in message

You were sarcastic, crass, and just like flying IFR, don't have a clue
about "charter pilots."

Meanwhile I have a lot more respect for Jay now than you. How did that come
about?

I suppose you get all frothy if somebody trash-talks AOL users too?

-c