496 beats G1000...

Old July 19th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default 496 beats G1000...

....in at least five ways that I've found so far:

o The 496 allows extensive customizing of displayed data fields. The G1000
is very limited in this respect.

o The 496 automatically records each flight's origin, destination, time
and distance. The G1000 lacks this feature.

o The 496 can records each flight's track. The G1000 lacks this feature.

o The 496 can provide continuous update of nearest altimeter, dewpoint,
humidity and/or temperature in dedicated data fields. The G1000 lacks this
feature.

and biggest of all:

o The 496 can animate NEXRAD. The G1000 cannot.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old July 19th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra[_3_]

Dan,

the 496 can be popped out and put in your rental car or crew car and
navigate you to the restaurant, hotel or local attraction you flew in to
enjoy.

the 496 has XM radio included in the base price...the G1000 does not (afaik)

the 496 comes with the XM weather receiver included in it's base
price....the G1000 does not

the 496 comes with terrain and obstacles included in it's base price...the
G1000 does not

the 496 can be popped out and put in your boat...the G1000 can not

however...

the G1000 can provide RAIM prediction, IAF's, holding procedures, MAP's and
full legal RNAV approaches...the 496 can not...'nuff said.

Is it worth the difference in price? Absolutely NOT!! Will I and a lot of
people in this group bend over and buy one (or similar product) some day?
Most likely.

Kobra

Old July 19th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

G1000..............IFR
496...................VFR

"Curator"

Old July 19th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Road Dog

Kobra wrote:

the 496 can be popped out and put in your boat...the G1000 can not

I was surprised to learn of the 496's sonar capability.
With the auto navigation, etc. I didn't need any more features
to buy it. Makes me want to go out and buy a seaplane just
so I can throw a line over the side and catch some dinner.
Old July 19th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Kobra" wrote:
however...

the G1000 can provide RAIM prediction, IAF's, holding procedures, MAP's and
full legal RNAV approaches...the 496 can not...'nuff said.

I don't think that was Dan's point. And, you don't need a G1000 to get
an approach capable IFR GPS.

JKG
Old July 19th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 18, 6:15 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
...in at least five ways that I've found so far:

o The 496 allows extensive customizing of displayed data fields. The G1000
is very limited in this respect.

o The 496 automatically records each flight's origin, destination, time
and distance. The G1000 lacks this feature.

o The 496 can records each flight's track. The G1000 lacks this feature.

o The 496 can provide continuous update of nearest altimeter, dewpoint,
humidity and/or temperature in dedicated data fields. The G1000 lacks this
feature.

and biggest of all:

o The 496 can animate NEXRAD. The G1000 cannot.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

I'm sure some of the limitations of the G1000 are a result of it being
certified. JPI tells me I can have my EDM certified to replace my
stock CHT gauge but I have to send the unit in to disallow me from
changing the alarm limits.

-Robert

Old July 19th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 18, 9:02 pm, "Kobra" wrote:
G1000 does not

the 496 comes with terrain and obstacles included in it's base price...the
G1000 does not

I don't think we paid extra for terrain in the G1000.

-robert

Old July 19th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

G1000..............IFR
496...................VFR

Why should this automatically translate into "the 496 can do more that
the G1000"??
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 19th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

Jay Honeck writes:

G1000..............IFR
496...................VFR

Why should this automatically translate into "the 496 can do more
that the G1000"??

It's not entirely automatic, but sensible if you think about it.
Software written for IFR GPSs needs to be certified, amongst other
requirements for the RTCA DO-178B standards. It's onerous - I
sometimes wish the software I write needed to be that reliable. On
the other hand, handhelds may have any old code in them because they
are deemed non-critical, so their manufacturer can easily experiment
with new features. (I expect an analogous conservatism occurs with
respect to their *hardware* too, which suggests that the computational
resources available within certified avionics are also smaller.)

- FChE
Old July 20th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

Certification.

It costs to be reliable.

"Curator"