Need advice on flight to Cancun from Florida.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:11 PM
Piperflyer

Default Need advice on flight to Cancun from Florida.

Sorry for re-posting.
Is it possible to make a trip from Key West to Cancun, Mexico in a Piper
Warrior?. Has anyone done it in a Warrior? Any tips or advice? Anything in
particular from past experiences in Cancun or Cozumel from GA standpoint?
Any pointers from the group will be appreciated. I want to fly my own
airplane to El Slvador from Tampa via Keywest, Cancun and Honduras and carry
medical supplies for charity work for the "Mission of Mercy" group of
Doctors who do this every year. Any CFI's who would like to volunteer their
time over there would be extremely welcome. Will pay for instrument time en
route. Accomodations are provided by local charities in El Salvador.
Cheers.

Old September 23rd 04, 03:07 PM
Rocky

"Piperflyer" wrote in message .. .
Sorry for re-posting.
Is it possible to make a trip from Key West to Cancun, Mexico in a Piper
Warrior?. Has anyone done it in a Warrior? Any tips or advice? Anything in
particular from past experiences in Cancun or Cozumel from GA standpoint?
Any pointers from the group will be appreciated. I want to fly my own
airplane to El Slvador from Tampa via Keywest, Cancun and Honduras and carry
medical supplies for charity work for the "Mission of Mercy" group of
Doctors who do this every year. Any CFI's who would like to volunteer their
time over there would be extremely welcome. Will pay for instrument time en
route. Accomodations are provided by local charities in El Salvador.
Cheers.

Hello
I admire your enthusiasm and willingness to help out a worthy cause.
Of course you can fly Key West to Cancun or Cozumel. That is the easy
part! The difficulty is with the enroute passing so close to Cuba and
on into Mexico. It is a popular smuggling route so every GA aircraft
transiting that is suspect.
If you are an AOPA member, you can avail yourself of their flight
planning services which are a great help. If you are not, I'd suggest
you spend the $39 or whatever it is now and join!
For the straightforward part of flying, I don't have charts in front
of me to give you distances, etc and I'm sure you already have that?
GPS is a godsend in this kind of flight. I've made many flights south
with only outdated charts and eyeball nav to keep me out of
trouble.(no I wasn't carrying adult recreational products). With the
recent hurricanes blowing through and disrupting services of all
kinds, its important to have some local contacts to confirm you won't
get stuck on an island, like Cozumel and no fuel, or on land and no
fuel like Cancun!
This gets much too unweildly and leaves out a lot of answers so why
don't you contact me via private email and we can exchange more data
via land line or private email.
I was in Honduras last year. Do you speak spanish? Lots of questions,
lots of advice, lots of things to avoid, lots of "must do" things. Can
be harrowing and also an adventure of a lifetime. I've been doing it
for about 40 years!
Flyinrock