Pennsylvania Ridge Day Sat Mar 4, 2017 - HRRR Model and GOES Visible Data

Old March 5th 17, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Pennsylvania Ridge Day Sat Mar 4, 2017 - HRRR Model and GOES Visible Data

FYI...

I saved some images of HRRR model forecasts (valid from 14Z 20170304) thermal height (pbl msl), 80 Wind vectors and speed, Ceiling height and low cloud cover along with the GOES East 1km visible images he

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lugaxwoix...hWSzac9ka?dl=0

You'll see a 45Meg *.mov of the GOES imagery

Folders contains 10 images (hours) from 14Z to 23Z of pblmsl thermal height, Winds 80meters, low cloud cover and ceiling height.

For those adventurous enough, if you load IDV, you can open the *.zdv bundle and load the original data in for all this data configured for viewing and looping. If you do that, it can be panned, zoomed and new background maps can be loaded. If I had time, I could add a turnpoint gliding database or shapefiles.

Left as an exercise to those so motivated...

Congratulations to those who flew, Dan, Jonny and all!

Walt Rogers WX
Old March 6th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 5:40:12 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Thanks Walt for uploading these images! I particularly liked the satellite loop. It is always amazing to see how the streets interact with the waves set up by the mountains. I am constantly amazed how this whole system interacts.

Best Regards,
Daniel
Old March 6th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aivian

Here are the visible and PBL height/wind vector displays with the flights as an overlay. Trails are 20 minutes long. Daniel is orange, Rob is yellow, Phil is green, and I'm blue. (in the PBL height animation Daniel is magenta so he doesn't disappear into the shading). The trail length really drives home the speed differences.

https://psu.box.com/s/0hjl7j4z54cfs62evgk69l37a7viepvj

Walt, do you know when GOES 16 imagery is going to make it into an archive somewhere? I don't usually do visible animations because the current satellites' imagery is just a little too low resolution to look like much for flights shorter than ~500 km.

Old March 7th 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 5:40:12 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
Walt Rogers WX

Walt so where do you get the PBL height graphics with the altitudes in feet? The HRRR site I only see altitudes in meters.
Old March 7th 17, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 7:31:13 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 5:40:12 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
Walt Rogers WX

Walt so where do you get the PBL height graphics with the altitudes in feet? The HRRR site I only see altitudes in meters.

Using Unidata's Integrated Data Viewer IDV and the gridded files from NWS, it's easy. Just use a pull down menu to change units from m to ft. Also, the gridded files for pbl height are in meters agl. One has to find the model grid and add that in for msl values. Learning how to use IDV and do all this takes a bit of time.

Walt WX
Old March 7th 17, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

GOES 16 is supposed to become operational in November 2017.

I'm really disappointed in web access to current GOES (operational East/West) imagery by NWS/NOAA. Out here in the Western U.S. we used to have a web site from NWS Western Region (slc) using a McIdas server that provided nice hi res 1km vis at 15min intervals. They had to shut it down for "political or beuocratic reasons", and now only NESDIS (NOAA's satellite service) provides imagery:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/wfo/index.html

At a slower latency to the next image... and only every 30 minutes. I've protested this to some NWS managers, but they suggest that it be elevated higher into NWS or NOAA.

I've looked and asked around about where or on which NWS/NOAA/NESDIS web site GOES 16 (GOES-R) will become publicly available, but have not found an answer. GOES 16 will deliver 5minute 0.5 km vis imagery and many other channels of data. It's shameful that NOAA/NESDIS had to reduce the quality and timeliness of the current operational GOES to the public. My suspicion is that budget/personnel cuts are taking their toll... and that's before potentially more severe Trump administration cuts kick in.

I know that the satellite experts at University of Wisconsin SSEC have servers ready to deliver GOES 16 to McIdas clients through ADDE. This may be the only way to get truly hi res GOES 16 in the near future.

Old March 9th 17, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It this the Eastern version of the current images?
I like this interface better than the west one you posted.

https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html

Chris
Old March 9th 17, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 11:34:11 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 7:31:13 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 5:40:12 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
Walt Rogers WX

Walt so where do you get the PBL height graphics with the altitudes in feet? The HRRR site I only see altitudes in meters.

Using Unidata's Integrated Data Viewer IDV and the gridded files from NWS, it's easy. Just use a pull down menu to change units from m to ft. Also, the gridded files for pbl height are in meters agl. One has to find the model grid and add that in for msl values. Learning how to use IDV and do all this takes a bit of time.

Walt WX

Learning required? ok nevermind ;-) I'm done learning for the foreseeable future = a week or so.
Chris

HRRR Tango Eight Soaring 4 October 1st 15 04:43 AM
HRRR model now live Ron Gleason Soaring 1 October 1st 14 10:31 PM
HRRR 3KM NOAA Model now has thermal heights! WaltWX[_2_] Soaring 6 May 29th 14 09:09 PM
HRRR model down? JS Soaring 1 November 9th 12 06:27 PM
A fine ridge day in PA - the Ridge Soaring Irregulars ride again QT Soaring 0 April 6th 06 04:01 PM