Wearing a G-1 Flight Jacket Off Base?

Old October 25th 03, 08:21 AM
user

Default Wearing a G-1 Flight Jacket Off Base?

This is really about the Brown Shoe Black Shoe thing. Man,
some of those comments are so funny!!! Can I use them at work? I have
a "shoe" in my command (aviation) that just made Chief, and is wearing
brown shoes, I give him a lot of S#$! almost every day!
Get this, a good sea story,,,,I made Chief a decade ago at a
primarily shoe base with an NAF. There were 2 of us aviation guys, the
other 15 were shoes. While going through Chiefs Initiation, at a daily
fun and games training session, my fellow aviation selectee and I
decided to sing the "Blackshoe Song" to all the other Chiefs, SC's and
MC's in attendance. It went like this....(sung to the tune of "Oh
Christmas Tree),,, "Oh Blackshoe Chiefs on bended knees, you kiss the
ass of Brownshoe Chiefs,,, although you think your first ashore, the
brownshoe Chiefs been there before,,,Oh Blackshoe Chief on bended
knees, you kiss the ass of Brownshoe Chiefs." It was great! As a
result , we completely alienated ourselves from the whole rest of the
base! Our squadron Chiefs were laffing there Butts off. The base
Master Chief (female) was a thin skinned shoe, and told our squadron
CMC that her Selectees would no longer attend training sessions at our
Chiefs Mess, because us squadron guys were just a bunch of " male
chauvinist, green flight jacket wearing, prima donnas" !!!
Old October 25th 03, 05:38 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , user
writes
This is really about the Brown Shoe Black Shoe thing. Man,
some of those comments are so funny!!! Can I use them at work? I have
a "shoe" in my command (aviation) that just made Chief, and is wearing
brown shoes, I give him a lot of S#$! almost every day!

Would somebody explain to an ignorant Limey what this shoe stuff is all
about? My knowledge of Service slang is strictly UK-based, crabs and
pongoes and all that.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old October 25th 03, 06:04 PM
vzlion

Hey Guys,

I retired about 15 years ago and the closest salt water is 1000 miles
away. Are Brown Shoes in again?

Walt Morgan
ISC, USN, RET

Old October 25th 03, 07:38 PM

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
In article , user
writes
This is really about the Brown Shoe Black Shoe thing. Man,
some of those comments are so funny!!! Can I use them at work? I have
a "shoe" in my command (aviation) that just made Chief, and is wearing
brown shoes, I give him a lot of S#$! almost every day!

Would somebody explain to an ignorant Limey what this shoe stuff is all
about? My knowledge of Service slang is strictly UK-based, crabs and
pongoes and all that.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Once upon a time all the Navy and Marines wore brown shoes. When the navy
switched to black shoes, to better go with the white, and blue, uniforms,
aviation remained with brown shoes. One of the reasons given and the one
that makes the most sense to me was because aviators in both the Navy and
Marines wore the Marine green uniform, refered to as "Working Green". They
stayed with brown shoes because the Marines still wore brown shoes. Also
because brown shoes looked better with the kaki summer uniform.

I believe in late 1963/early 1964 the Marines changed to black shoes. But
aviation continued to wear brown shoes as by this time they had discovered
that it ****ed off the rest of the Navy.

And that is the truth!

Red Rider

Old October 26th 03, 12:21 AM
Peter Twydell

In article , R
writes

[...]

At least you didn't start off "This is no ****", so I'll have to believe
you! Thanks for the info.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old October 26th 03, 02:12 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/25/03 1:38 PM, in article
, "R"
wrote:

[...]

Nowadays, most of us wear brown boots with the flight suits too.

--Woody

Old October 26th 03, 12:17 PM
José Herculano

Nowadays, most of us wear brown boots with the flight suits too.

One thing that always amazes me... most of the flight boots I see look more
like hicking/hunting boots than anything else? In this day and age, why not
use something lighter and that allows for a finer feel and touch?
_____________
José Herculano

Old October 26th 03, 04:52 PM

One thing that always amazes me... most of the flight boots I see look

more
like hicking/hunting boots than anything else? In this day and age, why

not
use something lighter and that allows for a finer feel and touch?
_____________
José Herculano

Good point. Back in my day, we wore pretty much what we wanted as long as it
had some remote military connection. Some wore dress shoes, safety shoes,
Boondockers (ankle high boots) were popular, and of course boots. By the end
of Vietnam, where ejection was a real possibility, boots were the choice of
many, with a few even buying Cochran (sp?) Jump Boots.

I almost always wore boots and two pairs of socks, as my feet were always
getting cold.

Old October 27th 03, 12:39 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/26/03 5:17 AM, in article ,
"José Herculano" wrote:

Nowadays, most of us wear brown boots with the flight suits too.

One thing that always amazes me... most of the flight boots I see look more
like hicking/hunting boots than anything else? In this day and age, why not
use something lighter and that allows for a finer feel and touch?
_____________
José Herculano

José,

Standard answer is that the boot is designed more for what happens before
and after the flight (especially if there are more takeoffs than landings)
than for what it does in the airplane.

i.e. steel toes for that rare flight deck mishap and high boot backs and
rugged soles for that parachute landing and hike to the nearest Texan and
his pick-up truck.

Not much delicate feel is required on rudder pedals. Stick, yes. Pedals,
no. Although *misapply* controls (e.g. high AOA and right stick and left
rudder), and you could be off to the races.

--Woody

Old October 27th 03, 12:59 AM
Justin Broderick

"R" wrote in message
m...

Once upon a time all the Navy and Marines wore brown shoes. When the navy
switched to black shoes, to better go with the white, and blue, uniforms,
aviation remained with brown shoes. One of the reasons given and the one
that makes the most sense to me was because aviators in both the Navy and
Marines wore the Marine green uniform, refered to as "Working Green".

Actually the black shoes were first. When green and khaki uniforms were
authorized for aviators in WW1, they had brown shoes to go with them. Just
before WW2 all officers and chiefs were allowed to wear the khaki working
uniform, but with their regular black shoes and brown shoes as an option.
Aviation officers, who also had the winter green uniform and tan overcoat,
were required to have brown shoes. Most non-aviation officers went with the
minimum required kit and wore their black shoes with khaki, and a whole
tradition grew up around it.

--Justin

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
us air force us air force academy us air force bases air force museum us us air force rank us air force reserve adfunk Jehad Internet Military Aviation 0 February 7th 04 05:24 AM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 01:14 PM
Wearing a G-1 flight jacket off base? Michael Naval Aviation 31 October 25th 03 08:29 AM