Garmin 530 WAAS?

Old November 12th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

Default Garmin 530 WAAS?

Sam Spade wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:

The link Doug Vetter posted to Avionics West in Tennessee makes a
very clear statement that LPV IAPs cannot be flown.

URL, please? I couldn't find it. What authority? What controlling
document? SAIB doesn't say that.

http://www.avionicswest.com/software...n0621.htm#1115

Thanks for the link. Just remember that when he says MANDATORY
(capitalization his) he means it's a mandatory SB, compliance with which
is not required for operation under Part 91. Nevertheless, of course, it
behooves the prudent pilot to understand the SAIB and proceed with caution.
Old November 13th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Doug Vetter wrote:
Al G wrote:
Did Garmin finally get 'er done?
"all 75,000 Garmin GNS 400/500 series products currently in the field
can upgrade to WAAS"

And to think...the 480 has apparently been downgraded to a TSO 129 box...

http://www.avionicswest.com/software...n0621.htm#1115

The service bulletin doesn't say that.... and SB's aren't mandatory
(even mandatory ones) for private operators.
Old November 13th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Peter R. wrote:
Mike Adams wrote:

Note also that the press release includes a footnote saying the 430W
is not approved for primary means navigation.

So, do you suppose that this caveat mean that one can no longer use the GPS
to fly non-WAAS, or traditional RNAV/GPS approaches after upgrading (until
the software update is released)?

No, it just means you must have a non-GPS alternate. Same as you do now.
Old November 13th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Dave Butler wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:

The link Doug Vetter posted to Avionics West in Tennessee makes a
very clear statement that LPV IAPs cannot be flown.

URL, please? I couldn't find it. What authority? What controlling
document? SAIB doesn't say that.

http://www.avionicswest.com/software...n0621.htm#1115

Thanks for the link. Just remember that when he says MANDATORY
(capitalization his) he means it's a mandatory SB, compliance with which
is not required for operation under Part 91. Nevertheless, of course, it
behooves the prudent pilot to understand the SAIB and proceed with caution.

The SAIB doesn't say you can't fly LPV's. It recommends that if you
are going to do WAAS that you preplan the availability of WAAS using
a PC program.

The C146a certiifcation wasn't removed, but one condition was "waivered"
Old November 14th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Beckman

"Peter R." wrote in message
Al G wrote:

Did Garmin finally get 'er done?
"all 75,000 Garmin GNS 400/500 series products currently in the field can
upgrade to WAAS"

Thanks for posting this announcement.

As a GNS430 owner who has been on the list since its inception, I will be
calling my avionics shop tomorrow to be sure they are aware of this.

--
Peter

Word from AOPA Expo was starting January 1 ...

Jay B

Old November 14th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Jay Beckman wrote:

Word from AOPA Expo was starting January 1 ...

Hey, welcome back, Jay! I trust you had a great time?

This WAAS upgrade appears to be a two step upgrade. The first step
involves sending in the unit for a hardware update, which will be available
January, and the second step involves a software update that can be done
with a data card. This second step will not be available until March or
April.

If that is how it works, I may not bother to send my unit in until Spring
or early Summer. I am still using my aircraft to commute twice per week
and could not afford to be without the GPS unit (keeping in mind it is also
my primary comm and nav radio) for the two weeks it will probably take in
turn-around to get the hardware updated.

In the past, Garmin was good about offering loaners to those of us who had
to send in the units but I suspect with such a strong, pent-up demand
waiting to unleash, there will be no loaner program for this upgrade.

--
Peter
Old November 14th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:26:20 -0800, Sam Spade wrote:

Mike Adams wrote:

Doug Vetter wrote:

And to think...the 480 has apparently been downgraded to a TSO 129 box...

Not true. The 480 is still approved for WAAS procedures - the SAIB just recommends a RAIM check and
a non-GPS alternate.

The link Doug Vetter posted to Avionics West in Tennessee makes a very
clear statement that LPV IAPs cannot be flown.

That may be. But that article links to a Garmin document, which states in
part,

"...The Service Bulletin and SAIB notifications will not prevent the pilot
from flying GPS approaches including LNAV/VNAV and LPV procedures..."

Old November 14th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Beckman

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jay Beckman wrote:

Word from AOPA Expo was starting January 1 ...

Hey, welcome back, Jay! I trust you had a great time?

Certainly did, thanks...

If I can figure out a way to distil the week into less of a whirlwind in
print than it was in person, I'll give some form of ConRep but it may end up
being one of those "you had to be there." There will be photos (lots of
photos!) posted at a later date. Didn't get to Palm Springs in time for the
inbound Parade Of Planes but I was there for the outbound and THAT was way
cool.

Of course, it was fun to meet some of the movers & shakers and some of the
flying "gurus" (Schiff, Machado, JM King, etc...)

Hartford in October of 2007...!

This WAAS upgrade appears to be a two step upgrade. The first step
involves sending in the unit for a hardware update, which will be available
January, and the second step involves a software update that can be done
with a data card. This second step will not be available until March or
April.

IIRC, that's exactly how the Garmin rep explained it to Jack Allison when we
stopped by the Garmin display.

If that is how it works, I may not bother to send my unit in until Spring
or early Summer. I am still using my aircraft to commute twice per week
and could not afford to be without the GPS unit (keeping in mind it is
also my primary comm and nav radio) for the two weeks it will probably take
in turn-around to get the hardware updated.

You raise an interesting logistical issue.

In the past, Garmin was good about offering loaners to those of us who had
to send in the units but I suspect with such a strong, pent-up demand
waiting to unleash, there will be no loaner program for this upgrade.

You're probably right...

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how this works out for the people
affected/involved.

Jay B

Old November 14th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Jay Beckman wrote:

Hartford in October of 2007...!

One on this side of the US I may attend.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how this works out for the people
affected/involved.

When I make the upgrade I will post about the experience, including the
learning curve to pick up the new features, here.

--
Peter
Old November 15th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al G[_1_]

Thanks Peter, I would appreciate that.

Al G

"Peter R." wrote in message
news
Jay Beckman wrote:

Hartford in October of 2007...!

One on this side of the US I may attend.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how this works out for the people
affected/involved.

When I make the upgrade I will post about the experience, including the
learning curve to pick up the new features, here.

--
Peter

WAAS up with Garmin? Lakeview Bill Products 0 August 30th 06 12:30 AM
Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade reminder Nov 15 Paul kgyy Instrument Flight Rules 18 November 22nd 05 08:22 PM
Garmin GNS430 & WAAS Roy Page Owning 33 April 7th 05 04:02 AM
WAAS and Garmin 430/530 DoodyButch Owning 23 October 13th 03 04:06 AM
Garmin Behind the Curve on WAAS GPS VNAV Approaches Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 24 July 18th 03 01:43 PM