Painting the inside of my cowl

Old November 8th 04, 02:01 AM
iflyatiger

Default Painting the inside of my cowl

I would like to paint the inside of the cowling of my 1991 American General
Tiger. The AG and the new tigers have a carbon fiber cowl and mine is
painted with a white textured paint. The paint that is there now is still
adhering to the surface so I would like to paint over it.

What does everyone think of rustoleum enamel paint that I can brush or roll
on ? I guess I am concerned about the heat inside the cowl.. Is it to hot
for this type of paint ?

Any other suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Old November 8th 04, 11:52 AM
Matt Whiting

iflyatiger wrote:

I would like to paint the inside of the cowling of my 1991 American General
Tiger. The AG and the new tigers have a carbon fiber cowl and mine is
painted with a white textured paint. The paint that is there now is still
adhering to the surface so I would like to paint over it.

What does everyone think of rustoleum enamel paint that I can brush or roll
on ? I guess I am concerned about the heat inside the cowl.. Is it to hot
for this type of paint ?

Any other suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.

I'm not sure what temp Rustoleum will withstand, but I'd use a good
automotive "high temp" engine paint. With most jobs like this, the cost
and the work is in the preparation, not the paint itself. So, I
wouldn't scrimp on the paint and have it bubble off later.

Matt

Old November 8th 04, 12:12 PM
Ron Natalie

iflyatiger wrote:

What does everyone think of rustoleum enamel paint that I can brush or roll
on ? I guess I am concerned about the heat inside the cowl.. Is it to hot
for this type of paint ?

There exists paint made for high temperatures. We painted our rocker
covers with stuff from the local auto parts store a few years back.

However, the real concern I'd have is what that paint is that you're
painting over. You might get better answers if you ask the Tiger
crowd...they have their own mailing list (fairly active).

Old November 8th 04, 02:28 PM
Dude

Definitely get type specific advice from someone who knows what they used.

The amount of time your cowling can contain a fire depends on the coating,
and if you put on a different product, it could ruin the whole scheme.

Old November 9th 04, 12:03 AM
iflyatiger

Thanks for everyone's replies ..

I ended up going with heat resistant engine paint. So far it looks good...

Jon

Old November 9th 04, 09:41 PM
One's Too Many

"iflyatiger" wrote in message ...

What does everyone think of rustoleum enamel paint that I can brush or roll
on ? I guess I am concerned about the heat inside the cowl.. Is it to hot
for this type of paint ?

Every time I tried to paint Rustoleum spraycan enamel over "real
paint" it would fish-eye really badly and generally make a mess. Works
great on raw clean metal, or on top of Rustoleum spraycan primer
however.