A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Importing a Glider from Canada to US

Old February 24th 15, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke
external usenet poster

Default Importing a Glider from Canada to US

Looking at a couple of used gliders in my price range across the border in Canada. Does anybody have recent experience importing and re-registering a Canadian glider in the US? Logistics, cost, time, etc.
Thanks in advance
Gene
Old February 24th 15, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Wrobel
external usenet poster

I believe Leading Edge Aviation, the FBO in Logan purchased an L-23 in Canada a couple of years ago. Talk to Scott Weaver or Kim Hall.
Old February 24th 15, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

Get Transport Canada to "De-register the sailplane for export to USA", then obtain an "N" number and fill out a request for registration, send it to the FAA along with the bill of sale you got from the seller and your check for $5 bucks and the paperwork should be all done. Have an A&P / AI inspect the machine and sign off an annual and then you get to fly your new honey.
JJ
Plus, scrub off the "C" number and put on your new "N" number. Acetone usually removes old numbers and the new one can be vinyl.
Old February 24th 15, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Transport Canada link on process at https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...xport-2039.htm Export C of A makes it easier at import.
Old February 24th 15, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 3:23:54 PM UTC-6, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Get Transport Canada to "De-register the sailplane for export to USA", then obtain an "N" number and fill out a request for registration, send it to the FAA along with the bill of sale you got from the seller and your check for $5 bucks and the paperwork should be all done. Have an A&P / AI inspect the machine and sign off an annual and then you get to fly your new honey..
JJ
Plus, scrub off the "C" number and put on your new "N" number. Acetone usually removes old numbers and the new one can be vinyl.

Well, there is a bit more to it than that, JJ. Depends on Standard License or Owner Maintenance in Canada, and if it is to be Standard Airworthiness or Experimental in the US. Then there is the visit from the FAA or DAR for issuing the airworthiness certificate and or operating limitations.

Also had the recommendation to conduct the transaction in Canada. If done there, you are bringing your property into the US. No issues. If the transaction happens here, you can get in trouble with papers as the plane was "brought into the US with intent to sell" and there are fees, etc that must be paid, and forms to be filed in triplicate. And we won't go in to the 8 by ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one was, to be used as evidence against us...

Steve Leonard
Old February 24th 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 4:23:54 PM UTC-5, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Get Transport Canada to "De-register the sailplane for export to USA", then obtain an "N" number and fill out a request for registration, send it to the FAA along with the bill of sale you got from the seller and your check for $5 bucks and the paperwork should be all done. Have an A&P / AI inspect the machine and sign off an annual and then you get to fly your new honey..
JJ

Not as simple as JJ says. I imported a glider from Canada with a standard certificate of airworthiness with excellent documentation.

Someone in the US has to issue a US certificate of airworthiness and while having an export certificate of airworthiness available helps it does not make the process pain free, read $$$. I obtained export C of A from Canada. You might get lucky. Then the trailer is yet another story, careful here.
Old February 24th 15, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
richard wilkening
external usenet poster

I recently called my local FSDO about this. I was told that if the glider was previously registered in the U.S., your local FSDO can do the paperwork.

If it's never been here, the process is more involved.

I decided that asking lots of questions and being proactive with FAA before import would be a good idea.
Old February 24th 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 4:57:34 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 3:23:54 PM UTC-6, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Get Transport Canada to "De-register the sailplane for export to USA", then obtain an "N" number and fill out a request for registration, send it to the FAA along with the bill of sale you got from the seller and your check for $5 bucks and the paperwork should be all done. Have an A&P / AI inspect the machine and sign off an annual and then you get to fly your new honey.
JJ

Well, there is a bit more to it than that, JJ. Depends on Standard License or Owner Maintenance in Canada, and if it is to be Standard Airworthiness or Experimental in the US. Then there is the visit from the FAA or DAR for issuing the airworthiness certificate and or operating limitations.

Also had the recommendation to conduct the transaction in Canada. If done there, you are bringing your property into the US. No issues. If the transaction happens here, you can get in trouble with papers as the plane was "brought into the US with intent to sell" and there are fees, etc that must be paid, and forms to be filed in triplicate. And we won't go in to the "8 by ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one was, to be used as evidence against us..."

Steve Leonard

Arlo Guthrie...... nuff said...... LOL........ Yes, I have BOTH versions.......

PS, added "quotes" to the end of your post...... ;-)
Old February 25th 15, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

My experience was all positive and there were some pitfalls. To start with the owner reported the ship destroyed. It wasn't destroyed, just busted up a bit. I wrote to Transport Canada, explained the situation and requested they de-register it for export. Took about a month, then after I repaired it and signed off an annual inspection I requested the Airworthiness Certificate. Local FSDO asked if I wanted Standard or Experimental? I opted for Experimental, they came out, looked the bird over and typed out a Certificate on the spot. All this did take some time, but mostly because it needed to be repaired. Couldn't get an Airworthiness for Export, because she wasn't airworthy! Didn't need it anyway. If you want a Standard Airworthiness Certificate, you may have to pay a DAR to perform a compliance inspection to prove it is in compliance with its Type Certificate.
Much simpler to buy a ship here, but with a little patience and a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Canadian bird.
JJ
Old February 25th 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Buck
external usenet poster

At 22:19 24 February 2015, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot
wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 4:57:34 PM UTC-5, Steve

Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 3:23:54 PM UTC-6, JJ

Sinclair wrote:
Get Transport Canada to "De-register the sailplane for export

to USA",
=
then obtain an "N" number and fill out a request for registration,

send it
=
to the FAA along with the bill of sale you got from the seller and

your
che=
ck for $5 bucks and the paperwork should be all done. Have an

A&P / AI
insp=
ect the machine and sign off an annual and then you get to fly

your new
hon=
ey.=20
JJ
Plus, scrub off the "C" number and put on your new "N"

number.
Aceton=
e usually removes old numbers and the new one can be vinyl.
=20
Well, there is a bit more to it than that, JJ. Depends on

Standard
Licen=
se or Owner Maintenance in Canada, and if it is to be Standard
Airworthines=
s or Experimental in the US. Then there is the visit from the FAA

or DAR
f=
or issuing the airworthiness certificate and or operating

limitations. =20
=20
Also had the recommendation to conduct the transaction in

Canada. If
don=
e there, you are bringing your property into the US. No issues. If

the
tr=
ansaction happens here, you can get in trouble with papers as the

plane
was=
"brought into the US with intent to sell" and there are fees, etc

that
mus=
t be paid, and forms to be filed in triplicate. And we won't go in

to the
=
"8 by ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a

paragraph
=
on the back of each one explainin' what each one was, to be used

as
evidenc=
e against us..."
=20
Steve Leonard

Arlo Guthrie...... nuff said...... LOL........ Yes, I have BOTH
versions...=

PS, added "quotes" to the end of your post...... ;-)

WITH CIRCLES AND ARROWS ON THE GLOSSY 8 X 10's! RB