VIDEO: USMC F/A-18 Hornet crashes during airshow display

Old September 28th 04, 02:24 PM
Pechs1

Default VIDEO: USMC F/A-18 Hornet crashes during airshow display

doug- Classic low altitude loop mistake... He waits too long inverted not
realizing that even though his nose is above the horizon, he's descending.
Not enough room to pull out of the back side. BRBR

I had a USMC O-4 in VX-4 with me that went on to work for this pilot. There
was a report with video that was produced because of this accident, 'snake in
the basket', or something like that. It shows that the combination of low
altitude and airspeed means he was gonna hit the ground, even when on his back
at the top. The pilot was very severely injured, face hit the stick as well.
He was relieved(I think he was a wing commander), and the O-4, Junk Grundy,
lost his 'sponsor', to become a F/A-18 squadron CO...their command system works
a lot like the USAF, the local wing commander picks his COs..
I think he didn't jump out because when he recognized he was in extremis, he
was out of the seat's envelope, due to sink rate. Zero/zero means zero or small
sink rate as well.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old September 28th 04, 06:14 PM
José Herculano

at the top. The pilot was very severely injured, face hit the stick as
well.
He was relieved(I think he was a wing commander), and the O-4, Junk
Grundy,

Didn't he fly again? I know he got a new callsign out of it (Kamikaze).
_____________
José Herculano

Old September 28th 04, 09:14 PM
Frijoles

Pete,

You're a little off on a couple of points --

He was the CO, MAG-11 -- the rough equivalent of a CVW CO. (Marine Aircraft
Wings (MAWs) are five figures worth of people and a couple hundred
aircraft -- typically 2-stars commanding.) IIRC, this particular O-6
installed himself as the demo pilot late in the game, and either didn't
practice or had one practice that (at the time, for anyone other than the
MAG CO) would have received a failing grade. His entry speed was too slow,
and he didn't make the target altitude for the pull-down maneuver (as in too
low). The rest is history. He was SEVERELY injured and it was a miracle he
survived.

USMC command selection went away from the local "good ole boy" routine about
15 years ago.

"Pechs1" wrote in message
[...]

Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old September 30th 04, 09:48 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 9/28/04 8:24 AM, in article ,
"Pechs1" wrote:

[...]

I just reviewed the Safety Center's HUD tape.

He was 48 knots in the HUD over the top and started down at 2100 or so MSL
on the clock from inverted. He's only about 130 or so when the nose
"bullseyes" through the bottom and has developed more than 10,000 FPM rate
of descent in the HUD on impact at about 25-30 degrees nose up.

The slap as the aircraft hits the ground after the cans impact is VERY
severe. He's lucky to be alive. No wonder he got hurt so badly.

--Woody

Old October 27th 04, 11:56 PM
DBurch7672

GLOC